News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Update To Clipper Front-End

Started by Clipper Joe, August 01, 2014, 05:24:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clipper Joe

Hi  Clipper Owners,

In The Process On Getting Front End, On My 1977 Clipper, Planning On Doing, All Ball Joints, Tie Rod Ends, Idler Arms,Center Link, & Drag Link. And Re-Do Front End Alignment.  It May Not Need All These Parts, But I Figured, To Do All Due To Over 130,000 Miles On Chassis.

Also Going To Also, Replace Power Steering Gear Box.

I Wanted To Get A Few Quotes, Does Anyone Now A Real Good Front End Shop, Within East Bay, Calif.? :)

I Have Seen Toedtoes, Work On Front End, Looks Great ;D ;D

Would Like Some Input If You Had Yours Done, Good & Bad Views?

Thanks,

Joe
1977 Dodge 440  Rear Kitchen
Note: Clipper Sold: (Miss It)
ACOC#3749
Now Own 2002 Class A Diesel Pusher

Toedtoes

My idler arms and alignment were done by Linville Bros in Sacramento.  My steering gear box was done by my boss.  ;D

Before I had it done, it was impossible to hold the steering wheel with one hand, the clipper was all over the road, etc.  Now that the work is done, I'm not gripping the wheel in a death grip.  I can easily roll down the window while driving, etc.  It is a HUGE improvement!
'75 American Clipper Dodge 360 821F; ACOC #3754

Clipper Joe

Hi Toedtoes,

Thanks For The Info, Will Give Them A Call Monday,
I Know It's Not Easy To Quote A Job Like A Whole Front End Re-Work Without Clipper Being There In There Shop, Maybe Ball Park Figure, $$$

I Have A Guy Who Put On My Rear RV Tires, He Is A Few Towns Away.
Most Shops Are Not Equipped For Big RV Jobs,
They Always Say Don't Have A Rack That Will Hold A Big Rig 10,000 + Lbs.

I Also Ordered Floor Heat Stuff, Steve Fine Recommended
Got A Great Deal. 4ea. Sheets,
Thermo Guard FR ( Flame Retardant ) 2,000 Deg.Has Foil One Side.
Item # 14130. From Autoplicity 1800- 299-1028
$60.64 With Shipping Was $10.00

Also Going To Install On Floor In Cab Area & Doors,
A Product Called Dynamat, You Peel & Sticks, Then You Use A Wooden Roller To Smooth Out, Should Help With Heat & Road Sound Noise. 'Wilson' Will Be So Happy :D :D

Thanks Again,
Joe

1977 Dodge 440  Rear Kitchen
Note: Clipper Sold: (Miss It)
ACOC#3749
Now Own 2002 Class A Diesel Pusher

Toedtoes

Linville can handle the clipper (one of the few places that can).  When I took the clipper in, I was being told to replace the idler arms and got a bit concerned about overcharging, etc.  Just then, my mechanic came in - he was dropping off a vehicle.  He told me I could trust these guys.

On the ball joints, make sure they keep some play in them.  Per my dad (worked for a Dodge dealer from 1963 through about 1978 as tow truck driver, mechanic and salesman) they should have play - not loose, but play.  I had one place tell me I needed them replaced (I didn't) and when Linville looked at them, they were fine.
'75 American Clipper Dodge 360 821F; ACOC #3754