News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Need a Fuel Sending Unit with gaskets for 1975 B300 360

Started by Toedtoes, February 04, 2014, 10:35:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toedtoes

Hoping someone out there will be able to help:  I need a Fuel Sending Unit for my clipper desperately.  I'm checking out online, but wanted to post here in case someone has one available or knows where I can get one.

Again, it's for a 1975 B300 360 engine (only one version of the 360 out there).

Thanks in advance!
'75 American Clipper Dodge 360 821F; ACOC #3754

Toedtoes

Just to follow up.  Clipper Joe sent me the following link:  http://www.tristarrradiator.com/

I had found it online also.  This guy apparently has old parts and does repairs and custom makes.

As for my clipper, I found out that the leaking sending unit is for the rear tank, which I'm not using because it has a couple leaks still (one from the sending unit and one at the intake).  So, my guy is draining the gas and putting it in my front tank, then removing the sending unit, and closing up the hole.  This way, I can enjoy my clipper while contacting the above to see about repairing/remaking the leaking unit.  If it's affordable, then I'll do it and get the intake leak fixed and I'll have my two tanks again.  If not, then I'll continue with my front tank only.

I'll post when I get an idea of what the above place can do and for how much.

Clipper Joe

Hi Toedtoes,
It Would Be Great if You Can Repair The One That Came Off Your Clipper You Know It Fits.
I Had A Ford 4x4 That Had A Side Tank & A Rear Tank.
Side Tank Was Plastic Never A Problem But Rear Steel tank Had To Put 2 Sending Units In Once Float Was Full Of Fuel, Other Time Would Never Read Right.
Ran off Side Tank For Years, Then One Day I Had A New Larger Rear Tank Made & Put Retro Fuel Sending Unit In Never A Problem After That .

I Know What A Hassle You On Going Through.
On A clipper You Need That Extra Gas. I know The Best I Get Was 9.5 MPG.
Hope When Motor Runs In I Would Love To Get 10-11 If Possible. 8)

Reading Post I Know Most RV's Get 9-12 Mpg Even Newer Units .

Keeps Us Updated Well All Know These Fine Clippers Are Showing There Age, Sure Would Be Nice If Parts Are Easier To Come By.

I Know There Are Some Posts From Past Member On Dodge Engine Parts Etc.

We have To Get A Real Good Data Base Spread Sheet Together.
I Have Some Part #'s When I Put Our 1977 Dodge Together.
Some Day I'll Post It. Ie; Controller Power Center, Battery, House lights, Tail Lights, Generators, Engine Parts, I Have Brakes #'s Front & Rear & Rear End Bearings & Axle Gaskets, Rear End Lube Mopar Part#, Fridge & A/C Data Wineguard TV Antenna Etc.   

Take Care, Are You Going To Be Able To Make National Rally At End Of Month?

Joe
ACOC# 3749
1977 Dodge 440  Rear Kitchen
Note: Clipper Sold: (Miss It)
ACOC#3749
Now Own 2002 Class A Diesel Pusher

Toedtoes

I got 10 going down I-5 and back.  Doing the foothills and around town, I'm getting about 8 - 8.5.  So, I won't complain.  I figure for an almost 39 year old, that's not bad.  And never RVs aren't doing much better.  My RV guy (who does my "house work") mentioned that the 360 was the best engine for the Clippers.  He said it was enough power to handle everything, but not too much that it got in it's own way. 

I've been on the one tank since I got the Clipper, so it's not hurting me at this point.  I'm used to the fill up schedule.  But, if the cost is affordable and this could get the rear tank back in action, then it would definitely be nice.  Use one tank as the "to and from tank" and the other as the "play while I'm there tank".

I won't be making the February rally.  Just too much going on right now.  I do plan on making the May rally - hopefully will have some extra change to pick up the LED clearance lights.  Knock on wood nothing will go wrong before then and mess up my plans...

I'll start another thread to discuss the spreadsheet idea.

Clipper Joe

Hi Toedtoes,

That's Great Mileage For A 360 Dodge.
That Is The Same Motor I Had In My 1973 Tioga RV.
I Have A Large 50 Gal On The 1977 Clipper, Sure Cost $$$ To Fill It, Nice To Have Extra Fuel On Board, If You Don't Take Long Trips, Seems To Be Working For You.
I Drove My Old 4x4 Ford Truck For Many Years On Front Side Tank, Found the Problem Right Before I Sold It, Had Broke Fuel Hose. So After I Sold It The Other Owner Enjoyed 2 Tanks. :-\

I Read You Want To Install LED Clearance Lights.
I Found Mine On E-Bay Good Price, Fit Real Nice, Red & Amber, They Are Throw Away Type. Use Very Little Power, I'm Happy With Them, I'll try & Send You Link if You Want, Also May Have A Photo of Them On ' Wilson ' My Clipper.

I Just Saw News That Weather This Weekend Should Be Nice For National Rally, I Also Don't Know If I Can Make It, Have To Take Son To Airport Sat. He Has Been Here For A Wedding & And Long Over Due Visit, Lives In Kansas.
I Will Really Try To Make Next Rally For Sure, Looking Forward to Meet You & Steve & All Clipper Owners/Members.

I Look Forward To Reading Posts, & Again Thanks For All Your Hard Work You Have Done On This Clipper Site>> Thank You, ;)

Joe & Denise
ACOC # 3749

ACOC#3749

Toedtoes

For weekend trips, I usually try to stay within a 3-1/2 hr radius of home, so the one tank works fine.  I haven't done a long trip (longest was a 5-1/2 hr drive) yet - I wanted to get the "bugs" out of the clipper before I go too far.  Hopefully, I'm getting to the point that I can start stretching the trip out.

The link on the lights would be good info, thanks. 

I'm glad you were able to visit with your son - it's nice when circumstances work just right to make those visits happen. :)

Toedtoes

As a follow-up:  Both Clipper Joe and I found this website: www.tristarrradiator.com

I contacted Dan by email asking about a sending unit for the 1975 clipper.  He replied within 24 hours letting me know that they do not have one available for sale, BUT he will rebuild my old unit no matter the condition.  He says the price ranges between $75.00 and $175.00 plus any parts required.  Not a bad deal.

I am going to prepare my bad unit for shipping to him and will update you all when I get my cost estimate.

Clipper Joe

Hello Toedtoes,

Thats Great, You Will Be Able To Have All Fuel Tanks Working.
Will The Repair Guy Dan, Be Able To Give You The Mopar Part # Of Your Old Sending Unit?After He See's It.

It Will Help In Making A Good Parts List For A 1975 Dodge Clipper With A 360 V-8, Will Your Sending Unit Also Work On The Dodge 1975 440 V-8?

I Have A 50 Gallon Rear Plastic Tank on Our 1977 Dodge, If I Ever Have It Out, Will Write Mopar # Down.

Make Sure You Put New Fuel Injector Fuel Lines On & New Fuel Filter To Save You For Having To Do It Later. The New Gas Has Some Bad Additives That Rots Old Style Hose's. :-[

Have You Heard How National Meeting Went?

Joe
ACOC# 3749

ACOC#3749

Toedtoes

I have no idea on Mopar #s or compatibility.  All he needs to do it is the old unit - no matter how bad.  I suspect he creates what he can't find.

All my hoses and filters are already replaced, so no worries there.  I have one little leak at the intake for the rear tank left to fix after the sending unit.  Hopefully, I'll get it all completed by May (trying to spread out the expenses).

I haven't heard anything about the National yet. Hopefully HastM will post an update.