News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

Call out to JerryT

Started by 19julien59, January 04, 2011, 10:33:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

19julien59

Happy New Year Jerry!  Been doing some Loft thinking.  Is there a structural reason you kept the shelf area in your loft?  I am looking at using a 60x60 standard self-flashing roof curb ($340) and would like to take full advantage of the size. This would require cutting into the area between the two lights and re-framing a bit.

This wouldn't be as wide as yours...leaving 6 inches on either side, but would give me almost the same height (12"), and square rather than rounded.  I am figuring on topping with a plywood cap, covered with hand-laid fiberglass...and incorporating an egress hatch.

Thanks, Jon 

JerryT

H N Y to you too!!! Yes, the front of the shelf is/was a factory roof support. It was easier to leave it and gain a shelf that to remove it. I needed a place to hang my privacy curtain and cutting the ceiling back to match the dome would have removed that area. At first I wanted all the space I could get for getting into and out of the bunk but after some thought I knew it would be much more work and little reward. My dome is 6" smaller per side than the clipper now, but when you sit up your body travels in an arc and you don't need corners or full width. I think that's what's so neat about my dome, I added a few aerodynamic cubic feet and gained so much livability. I removed no roof support structure, added four wood anchor points, glued and screwed the dome on. It's strong by design and needs no other outside work/expense. I painted mine but the dome is gelcoat and could have been left white. Like I said before, the extra money I spent upfront saved me money and much much time over the course of the project. Good luck ask questions and remember the remodelers estimating factor, (take what you hope to spend, double it and add 10%) If that don't scare anyone then the projects a go :o

JerryT

19julien59

Thanks, I thought it might be structural. I know the project cost routine well...both for vehicles and houses!  I am going to see if I can find a junk-yard nose cone before I proceed with using a roof curb.  Just need to get the cost as low as possible to sell the idea to my wife! 

JerryT

Hi Jon
Same here, I do seem to mention rough ideas and THE best case price scenario when being interrogated pre, mid, and post project :o As long as I finish the project timely and with good results I am forgiven :-*  When the dark fog of female worry creeps in and projects are questioned I always ask which improvement she does not enjoy and wishes I had not done. This question can not be answered as they are all enjoyed and the conversation quickly changes to some other worldly problem :P

JerryT

19julien59

Ditto.  I usually can change the conversation by introducing some political topic (she's a politics junkie).  The Clipper was my biggest suprise so far (in 27 years of marriage)...bought it when she was out of town!   

JerryT

Brave man! I took my wife with me when I bought ours, but I did need a 3 hour one way ride to get it. ;)

JerryT

USNRetired

Guys, actually buying the Clipper was my wife's idea.  I was ready to buy a motorcycle trike, one made as a trike using a car engine and motorcycle front end.  But now have a Clipper instead.  I really have mixed emotions about this, shipmates!!!!!
Jim & Marina in Beautiful Oceanside, California
ACOC #3714
1977 Rear Kitchen Party Model (821FC)

John Eversoll

HI Jim, I    will put in my 2 cents worth, At our age,ha ha, The Seas get rough sometimes and I know myself-- I would love to get back on a bike again!!!!!!!!

BUT, I look at all the bikes in the wrecking yard and think...I like my legs just the way they are!  Straight...Well sort of..

When we came back from Oregon the last time we had to drive by a very  very mess bike accident...
Dusty said to me "Do you really want to ride again"?   Naaaaaaa
That is just the yougn guy talking again...
Since I am on the front door of 60, I think I will not tempt fate..

I just love to dream.....  Take care shippie