News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

1,400 Mi in Fred.... again

Started by AndyIlles, July 11, 2005, 06:11:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndyIlles

Well, fellow Clip fans.... the trip home from NYC was..... ummmmmmm.... well.....  "interesting".

First of all, I realized there are several really good reasons to NOT change a water pump during a 10* snow storm.  1)  You will forget the clamp on the funny little hose under the AC compressor (360).... 2) You will get the large clamp atop the thermostat housing on crooked, which will cut into the (new) hose.... and.... 3)  You will put the thermostat in upside-down.  

Of course, you will not realize this until approximately 3:30 AM, in June, somewhere between Washington, DC and Cherry Hill, WVa., on the way to the Skyline Parkway which spans the apex of the Blue Ridge mountains, when the temp guage pegs and you notice the windshield's suddenly all fogged over, for some reason.  This will indicate that the funny little hose isn't clamped... which isn't fun to clamp, since you have to take off a large AC bracket to get to it.  After putting the clamp on the funny little hose and heading on down the road, you will again notice the windshield's foggy... cuz of the cut upper hose, which picks just then to pop an ungodly leak.  Thank God fora full fresh-water tank!!!  But this episode's not over.  After cutting the bad end off and heading on, you will begin wondering about why the temp guage's been acting funny since that January snow storm water pump job.  Another rest-stop adventure under Ye Olde Dog House will reveal the upside-down thermostat.  About how, a Greyhound full of smelly homeless people begins to seem like a luxury ride.

Then, cruising along the Parkway at 30 mph, rubbernecking at some of the most amazing scenery on God's good earth, you will run over some scrap that fell off a rickety truck ahead of you.... and of course, a piece of rebar will get kicked up and spear your rear end.... which will suddenly lock things up, and trash your rear-end, U-joints... and tranny...... in Fancy Gap, Va.  That's where "JB's Garage & Cold Beer" is located.... up the mountain.... where really strange people hang out.  And the Pepsi machine only has Budwiser in it.  Remember the Burt Reynolds, John Voight movie "Deliverance"?  Well folks... at JB's, the strains of "Dueling Banjos" keep crossing your mind.... got the picture?  TWO FRIGGING WEEKS at JB's finally got me a rebuilt rear end, U-joints, and used tranny.... which would give out just north of Raleigh/Durham, but where I could at least find a good rebuilt one.  By the time it's done, I'm out about $6,000... which I could have better spent on JB's Pepsi machine!!!

Clipping right along I-77, with the temp guage finally where it should be, and a purring engine and tranny....... POW... whap, whap, whap, whap.  The inner passenger-side rear tire blows a chunk of tread right outta the middle.... polishing that guard protecting my propane line (the fridge is NOT off... gotta keep the "Pepsi" cold, ya know).  This, of course, is also in the middle of the night, somewhere near the S Carolina/Georgia line.  How's $150 to change it sound to ya??  At least, this should settle the leave the gas on/off arguments, Conrad.... :)  GET A SHIELD WELDED OVER YOUR GAS LINE!!!!!   I don't know if it would have damaged the gas line without the shield.... probably not, but it sure did give some peace of mind.

oH... Fred also suffered a return of the slow-gas-fill syndrome.  I could NOT get even 5 gal into it without it blowing right back out.  This episode had a happier ending, however.  Shayne, a heavy truck mechanic at some God-forsaken stop had an old Winnebago with the same problem, so he took pity in a fortunate fit of empathy, and scooted right under Fred.  In no time, he found that the vent hose was kinked on the tank side of the frame, where it passes through a hole.  He pulled it outta the hole and ran it under the frame, and guess what??  35 gal with the nozzle locked full-on.... WOOO HAAHHHH HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!  I slipped the guy $10 for his ingenuity, and whatta deal, huh?

Anyway, back in Loxahatchee and Okeechobee.... just dodged another hurricane last 2 days.  Nice to be back home.  Btw... averaged 10.4... gotta get new plugs, huh?

Thanks Rodney and Big Ray, for the support, suggestions and help while at JB's.

Happy Clippering y'all.

Shayne

Wow.. that was quite an uhhh... Adventure?  

Hope you managed to have some fun in between. :)
Shayne Barr
ACOC #3146

Jimbilly

Who ever said owning a Clip was dull???  I think most of us have had one or MORE of these sorts of adventures.  When we picked up ours we got a whole 3 miles before blowing a tire and the trip home took 3 times as long as it did to go to pick it up ( to say nothing of it catching on fire twice on the way home).  Anyway, ain't life with a Clip great![/list]

bigray

The Adventures of Andy and Fred.........

I'm glad you all made it back.

I tell you what...... that certainly beats my 2 breakdown stories. Waterpump blew out 300 miles from home on the way back from Atlanta with my Mother, 2 year old son and 6-month pregnant wife.

Second one........about the same mileage during a trip to Fort Worth Texas between X-mas and New Years. I had the fuel problems. Up and down hills in the Texas Hill Country at 40-45 mph is not fun. Stretch a 4 hour trip into a over 12 hour trip. Once it died completely. I tried and tried to start it. I pulled the dog house off went to the back and pulled out the trustly lighter fluid and squited it into the carberator and wam she started. You should have seen my son's and wife's face when I did that.........priceless.   :D  

Even with the headaches and frustations I wouldn't trade my Clipper adventures for anything. The problems I've experience so far is just communication between me and my Clipper. She's just telling me all the stuff that needs to be fixed or replaced before our voyage to California for the rally next year. Cant't wait!

I thought perhaps Andy and I would trail each other to the rally  but I don't know about his stroke of luck. It may be contageous!  :shock:

Andy Illes

Ray...

Harrumph.... you can just kiss my (or Fred's, or Jaws', if you prefer) rosy "string of luck"... sheesh!!!  Some folks just have NO sense of adventure, huh?

bigray

Conrad

Andy, great story.  Glad you made it home in one piece!  Have you ever thought of writing for some publication other than this website?  I really enjoyed reading of your adventures! :lol:   So far I have avoided the multi-event-adventure but have had a few singles of my own.  Changing out a right front brake caliper on the side of a state-route freeway is another way one can spend 'quality time' with your loved-one. :P

bigray

Conrad, please don't give Andy any ideas :lol:

Speaking of which, you folks should read up on the guy who authors the below site. I swap emails with him periodically. He's a neat guy!

//vagabonders-supreme.net

Rodney

Hi Andy
So glad you made it home. These Machines can really test ones patiance and deplete ones finances for sure.
take care
Rodney

Andy Illes

Hiyya Rodney...

Thanks for the nice sentiment... and help while stranded in "Deliverance Land", lol.  At least except for the little "adventures", Fred behaved flawlessly.  Can't really complain, considering I've put a Colorado trip, 2 NYC trips, and who knows how many others under his belt just in a year anna half, and all without a single hitch, except this stuff.  The cooling prolems were my own stupid fault anyway, as was little rebar incident and Fancy Gap sojurn, since I shouldda been watching where I was driving. Guess it got the tire that blew later too, though we didn't see any tire damage from it, but it makes sense, huh?

Yup, the unexpected little events sure did cut into my fave liquor store's profits... and they were so happy I got back too, lol.  Best part of getting home was my horsies going nuts when they saw me pull in... good thing I remembered the bag of apples... got slobbered and nuzzled to death when I turned 'em out, lol.  Dearest (ex) Patty got insulted I greeted them instead of her first.  Told her it was a tough choice, but hey, they still liked to be ridden bare-back... :):)   In fact, did do a fast lap around the property on Starter... it was great.  Except poor little panting Jaws sure wished she had longer legs... left her nearly 1/4 mi behind at one point, hadda pull up, wait for her, and get her up on Starter with me.  Oh well, that's what shady doggie naps are for, huh?  Another happy event too.  Remember I'd been in court with "The Good Hands (on your throat)" people since the hurricanes last year?  Had the trial last week... won!!!   YEEE HAAHHH  The liquor store people were happy again... :)

Haven't seen ya online in a LONG time.... everything ok?  How are your projects going?  Only thing I've done with Fred since getting back is a good washing, Soft Scrubbing, and waxing... along with another oil change.  He liked that... :)  I did also find why my mileage slipped and idle sucked, I had an open vacuum nipple on the carb base.  Beats me where the nipple cap went.

Gonna head down to the Keys next week... do some diving, see if they still remember how to fix decent Rum Runners & Margaritas... and lobster.... :)  Onna my fave spots is in Marathon, right behind the Quay restaurant, on the bay... a ramshackle little place the locals hang out at.  They get about $8 for a little 2lb lobster... but only $3.95 for a HUGE basket of grilled lobster chunks!!  Go figure, huh?  Trying to entice a lady friend to take off and come along... no point wasting good Rum Runners on a solo, right?

I didn't get to stop at the huge Harbor Freight distribution center in S. Carolina though.  They had a little (Chinese) 4.5 kw diesel genny set aside for me... didn't make the Daytona Beach junkyard for new seats, etc either... sigh.  Oh well, it's just an hour anna half to Daytona.  Worth the trip for like-new captains chairs for $10 each.  Jaws kindda did in the passenger seat, and mine was torn some when I got Fred.  Wanted to get a cruise unit (my fix didn't work) and a few other bits too.

DAMN I make fantastic margaritas... heeeeeeeeeeeeeeee  Think I'll fire up the John Deere and hitch up the bat-wing, do some mowing.  Ricardo hasn't been keeping up with it all that well.

Catch y'all later my friend, and thanks again.  Yup... Clip folks are GREAT... :):)

Rodney

Sure wish I were able to head down to the keys and do what you are planning  anyway I just mixed me a Magarita before checking my mail we must think alike!! this one an't to bad either.
been busy rebuilding the interor in the old boat got it almost done still needing a jump seat have had 3 delivered to me and they still haven't got it right yet. first wrong size then wrong color!!! oh well we still had it out yesterday for a few hours and it was great. was going to go again today but the brake fix I thought  I had taken care of wasn't!! So I sent the wife and 3 grandkids down in the car for a swim while I changed the booster and master cylinder and blead the things again. Thats where I am now rewarding myself with a cool Margarita and hoping I have  the brakes fixed. The test drive seem to say it is working. the peddle is firmer but not solid and have to go down an inch or 2 before stopping but still a coulpe inches from the floor. Thats what it was like yesterday while pulling the boat. OPPS glass went dry so better sign off for now.
Rodney

Andy Illes

Hey Rodney

I should have to tell YOU this????  Bleed those brakes, man!  Sheesh.  Oh, and then, have another pitcher (or two) of margaritas.... :):)

Happy (literally) Clipping
Andy