News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

CALIF SMOG

Started by Robert P. Anderson, October 03, 2004, 10:01:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert P. Anderson

:( IT LOOKS LIKE WE LOST THE BATTLE FOR THE 30 YEAR SMOG EXEMPTION.
THE NEW LAW DOESN'T GO INTO EFECT UNTIL APRIL 1 2005.
IF I AM READING THIS RIGHT - THE 30 YEAR EXEMPTION IS STILL IN EFFECT UNTIL THEN.
THE WAY I READ IT IS IF YOU HAVE TO RENEW YOUR 76 BETWEEN JAN.1 THRU MARCH 31 2005 YOU ARE NOT REQUIRED TO HAVE IT SMOGED.
I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE OTHER OPNIONS ON THIS SUBJECT. :roll:

aliendude

You'll never find some of the parts anymore if you need them.  
Dodge ones such as
EGR timer delay, OSAC delay sinter valve....
Blue, green, or yellow vacuum temp controls.....
I have not found an orignal air cleaner yet, or heated air tin.  
The SMog Pump diverter valve is actually a GM part.
but the number doesn't cross over any more.   A sub that has the output
pipe facing a slightly different direction is available in the Niehof
catalog.  

Ah-nold will Terminate your car........unless it's a hybrid. or new

I moved from there.......

Ever wonder why a state that spawned Hyatte Ashbury is now the
most emissions wacko of them all..........?

Horst

Another reason I am so RELIEVED that I have a 1975, smog exempt Clipper!
I wanted a Clipper with a 360 (for many reasons) and one of them was that I figured I'd be smog exempt sooner than "newer" Clippers based on the original 30 year exemption law which has since been overturned.
I'm counting my lucky stars I tell ya!!
I used to have to do a dance and jig to pass smog since I was running a 4 barrel varb, non-stock air cleaner, etc.
Now I can do most anything I want!
Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.

dig

hmm....

Just got my renewal notice for my '76.  It is due by March 26 :) It does *not* note on there that I need a smog certificate.

I read on the CA DMV site -

QuoteDo I need a smog certification? What if I haven't had my vehicle smog checked?

Currently, smog inspections are required for all vehicles except diesel powered vehicles, electric and natural gas powered vehicles, hybrids, motorcycles, trailers, or vehicles 30 model years old or older. Starting April 1, 2005, the smog exemption for vehicles 30 model years old or older will end. After that date all 1975 and older vehicles will be exempt from smog certification requirements.

Since I have a '76, does it seem that I will have to have it smogged next year? Does it appear that I only have a reprieve for this year because I fall into the "before March 31" cut-off, and that I will have to have them done after this?

Opinion/speculation/guesses welcome...

dig

Horst

I think you hit it on the head.
This is you last year of exemption.

There are other "tricks" you can try next year if you have a lot of trouble passing smog..........worry about those when you get there.

1975 Clippers will be a hot item in California soon - glad I have one!
Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.

tomfridley

I AM SURE GLAD I LIVE IN EUREKA. [VERY NORTHERN CALIFORNIA]
NO YEARLY SMOG CHECKS HERE. SMOG TESTS ARE ONLY REQIRED WHEN YOU TRANSFER OWNERSHIP TO SOMEONE ELSE OUTSIDE OF FAMILY MEMBERS.
MY CLIPPER WAS GIVEN TO ME BY MY MOM AND DAD WHO WERE THE ORIGINAL OWNERS.
I ACTUALLY USED THE SMOG MACHINE WHERE I WORK TO SUPER-TUNE THE THE ORIGINAL [BUT CAREFULLY OVERHAULED] THERMOQUAD CARBURETOR TO AN EMISSIONS LEVEL LOWER THAN THE FACTORY DECAL ON THE WINDSHIELD.