News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

24' Clipper needs rebuild, but should I?

Started by phoenix, August 10, 2004, 05:50:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phoenix

A while back I wrote in about my problems getting Elvira repaired in Watsonville.  A year ago I drove her just 40 miles after buying her when the block cracked in Aptos; we got towed to garage for repair.  The nightmare began. More and more $$$ required by mechanic for new rebuilt engine from LA, tranny repairs, electricals, etc.  Engine finally passed smog in March.  I drove it as far as Moss Landing when smoke and fire broke out.  Back to shop. Many excuses, more $$$, no results.  Finally the BAR stepped in, closed his shop for bogus work and I had her towed to Salinas.  Result:  probable junk yard engine, not rebuilt.  Question:  If I spend $6-8K on a good rebuilt engine, am I just throwing good money after bad?  Would I be better off selling it AS IS or donating it?  I hate to tell you how much I've already put into this... but I could probably have had 3 nice cruises!!!  Should I gamble further or cut my losses?  Comments appreciated.  Myrleen

bigray

Myrleen,

All depends on how you look at it. I got my Clipper last November. While I haven't rebuilt the engine (not yet required), I have put more in the motorhome than I'll be able to get out of it if I were to sell it.

That being said, once I require a new engine, I plan to put a fuel injected engine with a overdrive tranny and the works. Should I spend the money. Depends on who you ask. My wife would say not; however, I love having my Clipper. It give me the opportunity to tinker with something. Besides if I didn't spend the money on the Clipper, I would spend it on something else that I enjoy.

But to answer your question, I would put the money in the Clipper. You have a rare rig so I'd be more incline to keep it.

However, I would follow my first mind. If you think you shouldn't then don't. Go with your gutt. If the rest of the rig is in good condition then spend the money on the engine. Be sure to get some type of written garantee from the mechanic who renders the service.

I've learned in the very short time that I've had my Clipper that shops take advantage of RV owners. I had a water pump to go out. The shop that I was towed to charged me $70/hr when the usual rate was $50/hr. Why? Because when a RV breaks down they know that RV owners are away from home and will do whatever it take to get on down the road.

I'm sure this clown of a mechanic did the same to you. You should sue his pants off.  Hell, the very least get some of his tools for your loss.

Good luck on whatever decision you make.

Horst

First  - you must find a good mechanic/garage somewhere CLOSE to where you live - someone you can trust. If you can't do this - well..........then you have an issue. Ask the people who work on your car(s) - (I'm assuming you have another vehicle or two.) Ask here....ask your neighbor.......just find a decent mechanic/shop.

Once you have done that - get a quote to get your motor (and appropriate parts) installed - $6-8k seems a bit high - just a bit though - $5,500 or so for a rebuilt 440 installed is my guesstimate.

Then, what about the rest of the "Dodge" stuff - brakes, tires, electrical, suspension/shocks, fuel system, tranny, etc. What shape is all that stuff in? How much to fix any problems?

Then, you need to assess what condition the "coach" part of your Clipper is in. Is it clean - do all appliances work well, no leaks, etc. How much to get any of those problems fixed (if you can't do it yourself)

OK - so now you build an over all picture of your rig, and what it will take to get it into great road-worthy shape - and you'll come up an estimated dollar figure.

So now take that dollar figure, and see what you can buy NOW for that amount - either a different Clipper - or a different motorhome even (blasphemy - I know!) - and you evaluate your options. Keep in mind that whatever you buy will likely also need at least some money thrown at it.

Go here
http://www.rvtraderonline.com/adsearch.html

or here
http://www.rvsearch.com/

and search around for RVs in California (Class A or C, or even a trailer if you have a vehicle to tow it) to get an idea what you can for this dollar amount you have figured.

Now as BigRay mentioned - you do have a rare Clipper, if indeed it is a 24 footer. I say this because I have on more than one occassion had people tell me they had a 24 footer, when in fact they didn't. Given you have a 24, that is a rare Clipper - and will probably be a collector's item someday soon, is it isn't already. Still, you're likely not going to get your money back that you put into it  - but you almost never do on any sort of RV - unless you get real lucky and pick up a nice older unit for a song - used it for a bit - fix it up a bit more, and then sell it for a moderate profit - it happens - but not that often.

Also, when figuring the above, if you do have a 24 footer - you my be able to sell it as is - but I'm not sure for how much.

In addition to a  great way to travel and camp,  having a Clipper provides me with other benefits, including:
1) instant and constant earthquake and disaster preparedness
2) cool guest quarters
3) a place to hang-out and get away from it all when too many people are at my house
4) a great way to go to weddings and other funtions with my friends
5) a fun hobby

Finally, it's pride of ownership. We always get compliments on, and get asked questions about our Clipper when we go camping. People will just walk by a 1992 Tioga or Jamboree, or any other run-of-the-mill, milk-toast Class C - but they'll stop and stare at a clean, well maintained Clipper!
Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.

phoenix

Thanks BigRay and Horst for replies.  I have another puzzle about the 24 (yes, it is 24 feet, bed in back; sold my 21' to get it.)  The broken engine block is a 440-4.  Does anyone know what that means?  440-3 is the motor home block with extra cooling channels.  Was this the correct block to be in it or not?  Do I have a useable core?  If not, the price goes up another $700.  I have inquired at Dodge.  Their records don't go back that far... can you believe it?
Any idea what I could get for it as is?  It's in good shape, otherwise.  Thanks,  Myrleen

aliendude

Another place you might want to ask this is www.allpar.com/forums

Even do have some rare block with extra cooling passages, a new running engine is better than a busted one - just take what you can get.

susan-y

rebuild on my 440 caught the lack of cooling passages and they drilled as required.  hope this is an acceptable alternative to the 440-3.  should have it all together by the first of next week.  am excited!   :lol:

LitlC

Myrleen and Michael,  

I am in the same situation as you. I have a 21' clipper that I purchased 2 years ago.  I can tell you that we definitely got out of her the money that we paid for it.  She has been back and forth from Colorado to California twice and NUMEROUS trips out to the CA desert in extreme heat and she was always a trooper.  Well the ole' engine now needs to be replaced and out here in CO I am looking at around $4,000 to do it (I guess in that way my move to CO pays off).  I just don't know if I want to spend the extra money when other things can start going wrong.

Something to consider is that a friend mentioned-with spending that money you know what you have and that the engine will last a good long time.  You could not go out and buy a new rig for even close to that and even the used ones are quite pricey $$$ not to mention that you never know what you will be getting (in terms of the work that a used one will need).  

I guess in a way my answering your post is also answering my own quandry   :)

Good luck in your decision and keep us posted!  I can tell you my rig has been down all summer and with winter approaching out here in the Rockies I have REALLY missed my "escape" weekends....

Carla

swaynemw

24' Clipper is a keeper.  I have a 21' and currently restoring her.  So far I have droped a 440-3 engine in, new intake/carb, ordered headers, switched to a one wire alt, upgraded the wiring harness and wraped it with wire loom, new fuel pump, mastercylinder, steel braded brake lines, also switching to a K&N air filter.  I'm currently working on the design of building an air intake system that will draw air from just under the passenger side front bumper through a tube system attached to the carb.

The engine I bought on ebay for $700.00 with tranny.  I sold the tranny for $300.00 and spent $370.00 rebuilding the engine.  

I will be back in the States around March and would be willing to help you out with your Clipper.  Untill then the best I can do is email.

:)