News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

24-footer HELD HOSTAGE???

Started by phoenix, May 31, 2004, 04:19:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phoenix

Desperately needing advice:  In the first 40 miles out with my newly purchased 1979 24-footer, the block cracked, it overheated, caught fire and we got towed to a truck mechanic in a one-man shop in Watsonville, recommended by a tow driver.  [Good Sam told me they couldn't find any one that night; said I was on my own.]  That was July, 2003.  It has never made it home in three tries since then.  The engine block has been replaced, twice (!), also heads, carburetor, master cylinder, wheel cylinders and all engine wiring.  It took two months of trying to get the new Edelbrock 750, plus manifold, to pass smog.  It caught fire again on my second attempt to drive it home.  New, rerouted fuel lines, more heat-shielding.  Then mechanic tries to deliver it to me, but it quits running while going up Carmel Hill, Hiway One.  Towed back to shop.  Then mechanic has back surgery, more waiting.  Now he says he has to send the block back to LA, AGAIN.  I'm completely flumoxed.  Patience is long gone.   I've already paid him, in various increments, more than I paid for the Clipper.  Any advice out there???    MyrFisher@comcast.net

Horst

oh man - this sounds like a nightmare - and may be just a spat of really bad luck. However, in the event there is some negligence on the part of the mechanic, (if you have not already done this) you may want to:
1) Type up a document that has the following:
The dates, mileage and what was repaired and the cost - set this up in a "timeline" if you will.
2) Document the "nature" of the failed repairs and what if anything the mechanic said he would do about it and when he would do it.
3) Determine if there is anything that you have paid for that you feel you should NOT have paid for.
4) Assess what you paid for certain services and do an analysis (by comparing to other shops) to be sure that you were not over charged.
5) Check up on the mechanic to see if he is in good standing with the BBB, that his licenses are up do date, etc.
6) If you feel (and you can document) that you have been "cheated" or "stalled" beyond a reasonable length of time - request that the mechanic get the Clipper to another shop of your choosing (at his expense) - and that he reimburse for anything you feel you are owed - or that you will take him to small claims court - and then be prepared to follow through.

The fact that the mechanic had back surgery, although a bummer for him, is NOT your problem. He has to make contingencies and arrangements to take care of his customers in a timely fashion.

Hopefully this will ultimately have a happy ending and you won't have to take any action.
Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.