News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

A "What if" kit for travel.

Started by John Mey, March 29, 2004, 11:56:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Mey

The season is just about upon us, and I am getting ready to take my first excursions im my new Clipper. The question I have for you more experienced Clipper'ers is this. Has anyone made up a good list of emergency items to always have with you that pertain exclusively to these Clippers? Such as certain electrical components, valves, etc..? Id hate to be stuck somewhere for lack of having some cheap little part with me for the fix. Id rather learn from previous experience. (Trying to be prepared)

junebob

RAMGER-#444- Suggested "Emergency Kit' For happy Clippering.    IT'S IN THERE. Bob #10

Horst

There's a list somewhere here - but here's just SOME of the stuff always have with me - and I'm sure I'm forgetting things - in no particular order, off the top of my head:
1) Spare plugs and wires
2) spare rotor and cap
3) ECU
4) Ballast resistor
5) Fuel pump and filters
6) coil
7) starter relay
8) spare hoses (fuel, vacuum, radiator)
9) engine oil
10) radiator fluid, brake fluid, tranny fluid
11) WD 40
12) grease, JB Weld
13) fuses
14) spare coach bulbs and lenses
15) coach plumbing fittings, plumbers tape and putty
16) fiberglass repair kit
17) duct tape, electrical tape
18) rope (heavy and medium duty)
19) leveling ramps
20) first aid kit, radio, Cobra 2-way radios
21) jack
22) breaker bar
23) Comprehensive tool box
24) multiple flash lights and lanterns
25) road flairs
26) Inverter
27)  jumper cables (LONG and heavy duty)
28) Military folding shovel
29) axe
30) machete
31) Voltage tester

There's more I'm sure - and it's all neatly packed away in  milk crates - the heavy duty plastic ones, which fit perfectly in the Clipper storage compartment (unless you have a generator that is)

I've been on 60+ trips in my 75 Clipper, and only broke down once (knocking on wood!) - and that was when it was 105+ degrees out and my coil failed - just swapped it out - and I was on my way (and started carrying a spare coil as well from that day on.)
Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.

John Mey

Thanks for the list Horst. Only thing missing is a white flag to raise if all else fails.

Plante

I just make sure my AAA membership is paid up and my cell phone is charged.

Horst

The time I broke down, I immediately called my GoodSam service - and they never even showed up! I finally diagnosed the problem (bad coil) - limped into a campground, and then swapped it out. I was not happy with GoodSam (and let them know it)

Also, we often camp in area where cell phones do not work - so I try to be prepared as well as possible - and advise others to do the same.
Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.

Plante