News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

Clutch fan vs electric and bigger radiator

Started by bigray, March 31, 2004, 10:14:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigray

Hi All,

A gentleman told me yesterday that I could reduce noise and increase mpg if I switch from a cluth fan to an electrical fan.

Has anyone made the conversion? If so, please let me know of the experience.

Also, I need to have my radiator roded out; however, instead of spending $70 on that I was wondering what's the biggest and badest heavy duty radiator I can buy to fit my rig.

AndyIlles

If you mount it on the bumper... Kenworth makes some really nifty radiators... Hard to see over 'em though...  

Here in S. Fla, I've found the stock radiator and fan work just fine.

Andy

bigray

Andy you are a sick man. I said that would fit my rig.

As soon as I read your post, it reminded me of an episode of Monster Garage where Jesse James put a diesel engine on a motorcycle. Who would have thunk it.

At any rate, I asked around at a couple of radiator shops and they share the sentiment as yours. The clutch fan stays.

AndyIlles

You mean I need to get my medications checked AGAIN?!?!?  Damn.  

"Fitting"??  Think SawsAll, angle iron, welder!!  It'll "fit".  

John Mey

A little experience with electric vs clutch fans. I went thru this a few years ago with a modified Austin Healy with a V8 installed. When I bought it, it had a electric fan bolted to the radiator, but I had lots of problems with over heating. I tried all sorts of things (ducting the air, water weter, had the radiator checked, etc.) In the end the thing that finaly worked the best was a good clutch fan. The problem with a electric fan on some aplications is that at speed they can actually impede the flow of air thru the radiator. They have this housing that bolts up snug to the radiator, so at hiway speeds it more or less blocked the air flow by being there. The clutch fan worked much better and thats why I would stay with that on the Clipper. Much more reliable too. The electric fan can be a good thing if one is in stop and go traffic where you simply are not getting adequate air flow. But all in all I think the clutch fan gives the best all around cooling.

bigray

Thanks guys. I'm going to have my radiator roded out tomorrow and change my thermostat. If there is too much corrosion, I plan to buy another radiator (don't tell my wife).