News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

Winterizing

Started by kbmurph, January 03, 2004, 04:31:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kbmurph

Hi all we have 78 clipper, this is our first year having to winterize it. We live in Illinois. Do we need to just drain all the water from it, or do we need to add antifreeze? Any tips on doing this would be great Thanks Brad

HPotter

At RV supply stores you can buy a fitting that connects to your outside water hose connection (where you would hook up a city water hose). This has a tire-valve connection on it so you can hook up an air compressor to it. You should also find some drains under the water heater. Open all faucets and blow out all remaining water. A 50/50 mixture of antifreeze in the shower drain will protect traps exposed to outside temperatures. We tried that pink non-poisonous anti-freeze in our system once and it took a long time to flush that yucky taste out of our water.
Harold, ACOC 886

Guinnessecco

I disconnected two fittings to the hot water heater and connected them together.  These were a flare type of fitting and the water piping is plastic so I could rather easily connect the two ends together with the right fittings.  This allows me to drain the water heater and use one gallon of RV antifreeze.  Be sure to use potable antifreeze like propylene glycol. Ethylene glycol, used in the automotive radiator is terribly toxic.  After disconnecting the hot water heater and draining it by pulling the sacrificial anode, I drained the fresh waster tank; there is a drain on mine.  The drain is on the left side so with the vehicle tires up on the curb, I could get a good drain To get the last bit out, I drove up an incline and turned the pump on since the up take for the pump is at the rear of the tank.  I then put the RV antifreeze in the water tank and started the pump, turned on each faucet including shower, bathroom sink, and toilet.