News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

Connection for Battery Charge Meter

Started by bigray, January 25, 2004, 09:36:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigray

Hi All,

My house battery has a whole punched in the top and has a metal rod sticking down in it. I asked the previous owner and he said that it was for the meter that incidates the level of charge for the battery.

Surely, this is something that he added. I find it unlikely that it came from the factory like this.

Can somebody give me an alternative? I think I'm going to have to buy a new battery soon and God knows I don't want to poke a whole in it. I know those deep cycles cost a pretty penny.

uncleleroy

BigRay - Go to the tech forum and check out post labeled "battery mystery".  I think you'll find the answer to the jury-rigged setup on your house battery.  (The former owner of your Clipper must have been a tinkerer something like myself.)
     - uncleleroy

bigray

See Uncleroy...there you go. I tried not to say it but the previous owner was my uncle. Yes he likes to tinker. I do to!!!

I can't access the tech forum. I guess they haven't received my application and check yet. I'm trying to be patient.

uncleleroy

BigRay,  The gizmo poked into your coach battery is probably an anode probe which lights a little warning lamp on your control panel above the refrigerator compartment.  It tells you when the water level is low in your coach battery, thus saving the expense of a new one.  At least, that's the theory, and I THINK that's what you have there.  There really should be a probe built into the battery cap which serves this purpose.  This may have been lost or whatever.  A cap with the probe can probably be purchased at your RV supply place, but you'll have to improvise a plug for the hole.  How about a rubber stopper??
 I had lots of little things to fix when I bought my '78 a couple years ago.  In fact, my windshield wipers quit just the other day.  These rigs are getting up in years and take some TLC, but in spite of that, I think they're well worth the trouble.  It DOES help some to be a tinkerer when little problems come up, but then we tinkerers usually manage to make a few problems for ourselves along the way.   Keep at it!!  -uncleleroy

bigray

Good Deal. It works fine. Cosmetically, it annoys me. I just want to make sure the battery doesn't shift and become a safety hazard.

You are right about those ticklers creating some problems. My cloth dryer went out this weekend. I thought surely it would be the igniter gone badly. I took that thing apart and couldn't get it fixed. I had to call in the professionals. It turned out to be a thermal heat fuse. When the ventilation is bad the fuse goes out for safety.

They got me this time but never again. 120 dollars gone. That was the money for my rear springs on my Clipper.