News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Power Steering Belt Squeal Solution

Started by Conrad, May 28, 2004, 09:54:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Did this help you?

yes
6 (100%)
no
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: May 28, 2004, 09:54:11 PM

Conrad

I replaced my power steering pump a while back and started hearing the dreaded squeal after a few miles.  I had checked the tension, double checked the belt p/n, nothing helped.  I even had the squeal when I stepped on the gas from idle.  Then while sitting on my deck on a sunny day, drink in hand...  :idea: BINGO!  What if my pulleys are not lined up properly?  hmmm  :?  My rig is a 21' dodge 360 with double pulley on the alternator.  

I used a carpenters square across the front of the main crankshaft pulley and there it was.  My power steering pump was at least 1/8" off of the plane of the reference pulley.  I installed one 1/8" shim under the bolt that would allow the pump to be pushed forward enough to come back into alignment with my reference line.  No squeal.  Road test proved no squeal either.   :)   Near as I can tell, the replacement pump had a slightly different casting.  All the parts fit but they were just that much off.

The shims were from ACE hardware (any hardware store should have them, if not, try a body shop).  The shim stock is about 1" square with a 3/8" slot cut from one side to center.  This allows the shim to be installed without removing the bolt.  Thickness varies, 1/16, 1/8, 3/16" etc.   :D  

Hope this helps if you are having the same troubles.

AndyIlles

Power steering slippage issues pop up a lot here, and in finishing up my water pump project, I MAY have found at least one reason why.

Mine's a "non smog" '76 360 with the steering pump located low, but I'd assume the mounting would be pretty much the same on 440s too.  When I was disassembing, I found a sortta boomerang shaped 1/8" plate with 3 holes hanging loose behind just the steering pump's adjusting bolt (tht someone had welded to the bracket) into the water pump, and just assumed somebody had used it for a shim.  The steering pump was held by only 2 bolts... the long 5" x 3/8" (welded) adjusting one, and a short 1/4" bolt/nut in the rear brackets for a pivot.

Reassembling though, I noticed that that loose plate lined up with TWO waterpump bolts, as well as a hard-to-see hole in the steering pump's front mounting plate (below the square 1/2" hole for tightening), which lined up with the rear bracket.  DUH.... that plate locates/aligns the front of the pump.  Back to the hardware store for a 3" x 3/8" bolt, and a piece of 1/2" water pipe for a spacer between the front plate and rear bracket the 3" bolt goes through (like on the alternator).  

Without that plate properly mounted, you can't get a good alignment for the steering pump!!  Mine (single-pulley) only worked cuz that dolt welded the bolt.  Power steering pumps simply should NOT require a double pulley...  it just doesn't take that much to turn 'em.

Since the pump will go on fine without that plate (or spacer tube), it'd be really easy to overlook/forget replacing eithr the plate or tube during a water or steering pump replacement.

Regards

Conrad

I have the same config, non-smog, 360, ps pump down low.  I have to agree with you on the double belt arrangement.  The ps pump has practically no turning resistance.

PERO_SI

I had problem's with the squeling of the belt and often just coming off the pully's.I have a friend that work's in a local auto part's and I asked him if they made a smaller belt with the same width size and he told me yes but it was 1/2" smaller.I bought the smaller one and installed it and all my troubles fixed in a smaller 1-size down from stock size.

I had a hard time getting it on but after some leverage it slipped on the pulley.No more squeling and belt stay's on. :D

AndyIlles

Hiyya Doggie.

A smaller belt rides deeper in the pulley grooves, and so can sortta make up for a misalignment -- temporarily.  Like Conrad did, use a straightedge and check your alignment.... bettcha it's off, and if it is, you're putting an axial load on the pump bearings it's not designed for.

Andy

Conrad

Guess what?  A lock nut on the tightning bolt works wonders!  :oops:  And tighten the pivot bolt too.  What an obvious thing! :shock: