News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

smog!!!

Started by maldo8, March 06, 2005, 03:33:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maldo8

We just purchased a 1978 440 rear kitchen, should we have problems smogging it? What can we look for to see if the prior owners make adjustments to pass smog. We were told they had it as inop.
help
Maldo8

Conrad

Depends where you are from.  Up here in WA one is exempt after 25 years.  I hear tell that in CA they take your money for 30 years! :shock:

Horst

ooohhh.......
InOp - usually not a good sign.
1) Be sure you have all your "parts" connected - CA smog junk, etc.
2) Try to find a sympathetic smog shop - one that will "pre-test" your Clipper WITHOUT the results going to the Air Quality wackos - ask around to find such a shop.
3) Make sure it is tuned well - get a new gas cap - and hope for the best.

You may have the the shop that agrees to pretest your rig do the tune-up to be sure it will pass. They may do some minor tweaking of the carb (lean it out a bit, change timing, etc.) to get it to pass - then once it passes, they'll tweak it back so that it runs properly.

Good luck!
Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.

ron_paula

I just got my 1977 to the smog shop today.  Passed with a little help from the smog guy.  We did a pre-test and needed to adjust the timing to 8*btc and he helped do this.  You must have your own tools to do this.  He had to disconnect the vaccum advance to set the timing.  

The shop is in South Modesto, CA.
Lopez Auto Repair & Smog
2200 Crows Landing Rd.
the pre-test is $20.00 and the actual test is $60.00

Be shure your gas caps are good I had to spend $20.00 to replace both on my rig.