News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

"bike rack" question

Started by Andy Illes, November 21, 2005, 05:18:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy Illes

Got an electric bike..... any of you guys have a bike rack?   What kind, where'd ya get it.... how'd ya mount it?  Got pics??

Thanx... Andy
JawsiesClipper@AOL.com

Horst

I'll try and dig up a pic somewhere - but I simply bought a "Hitch Haul" unit - best thing I ever bought - put some wood rails on it - and been using it ever since.
My hitch is light duty (not propely mounted to frame) so it's about all I can do with it - but holds a few bikes, or gear, surf equipment, etc.

do a google on hitch haul - I'll try and find a pic
Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.

Andy Illes

Thanks Horst... I appreciate it :)   What I'd really like tho, on account of parking spaces, is one that wouldn't lengthen Fred any more than absolutely necessary by the bike itself.  I've seen bike things that attach to the ladder and body directly.  

I think I could make something up without much problem, but thought onna you guys mightta found a commercial one that works for a Clip.

Horst

I have seen a few people make them out of PVC plumbing fittings and pipe - and then "attach" that to their ladder - get heavy duty thickness of course.

Gotta be sure your ladder is up to snuff though - and make sure you have clearance so the bike don't ding your Clipper
Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.

Shayne

We travel with bikes everywhere.  We had a hitch reciever put on just for the bike rack.  Used the tray kind for a while, when not in use, it folded up.  Didn't stick out but a few inches more than the ladder.

Look for a rack with a folding mount.  Just pull a pin, flip up/down replace the pin.
Shayne Barr
ACOC #3146

Andy Illes

Hey Shayne..... GOOD to see ya buddy!!!!  Glad you're still with us... :):)

I've seen the kind you have.   Thing is though, I don't want any more length than I absolutely have to have, with the bike mounted.  

Horst got me thinking..... do you guys know if there's wood inside that "bump out" across the rear, that the tail lights and ladder stand-offs mount to?  Seems to me onna those lag-screw hooks in that, with a hook, bungee or something on the stairs oughtta do the trick..... anybody try that?

Shayne

I still check in once in a while  ;)

And I'm pretty sure it's just fiberglass there Andy. I wouldn't trust it with much weight.  Also remember electric bikes are on the heavy side.  Put one back there and bounce it down the road or over railroad tracks, you want it to still be there when you get where you're going.

Here is a link to the last bike rack we bought.
http://www.hitchsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=16159

The posts slide out easily, I just left the rest of the rack in the hitch, but that part pulls out easy and could easily be stored inside the Clipper when parked. Got it at Costco for about $125  You could also cut the posts down if all you need to haul is one bike.

When we bought the trailer, we made sure we had a storage area in the back for our bikes.  Now they ride inside, seecure, dry and clean.  :)
Shayne Barr
ACOC #3146

Rodney

I have one like Shayne pictured. it's a good thing but you do need a reciever on the back of your home Andy. I see you might not have one but this is the best way to go IMO. I tried to pack the bikes inside the home but it was a real pain, hard to get in and out and always in the way and rattling around.

Andy Illes

Got one!   It's called a HandiRak ($59, on sale at Copley's RV), and just sortta clips to the ladder.  The bike's battery packs snap right on and off, so that weight's not back there... rest of the bike's light-weight.

Thanks again for the advice, insights and help guys... :)

Now, for a related one.... anybody ever see a cover for a bike?   The back end gets filthy on even short trips.... don't really feel like washing the bike every day.  Meanwhile, gonna just tarp/bungee it, but a fitted one would be a lot neater.

Shayne

We have a 4 bike cover that works great, even though it said BBQ Cover on the package ;)
Shayne Barr
ACOC #3146

Andy Illes

bigray

Wow............Andy still rides a bike. I thought you had one of the scooter thingies like at department stores and wal-mart.............lol