News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Thermostat and other questions

Started by Shayne, November 10, 2001, 07:32:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shayne

Posted for Tom Martini by Admin
9/10/01
Question: Greetings, Let me first say that I am glad that we finally became members of the ACOC. I can finally resolve some of the problems that have plagued us over the years and meet some new friends. Linda and I have owned our 79 party model since 93. We bought it from the original owners who took excellent care of it. Over time it has worn and aged graciously. Our problems really have been few and minor. We have had basically great luck with our Clipper. Now and and then we think of selling and getting something a bit larger or newer but just can't seem to part with it. It is like part of the family. Geeze, the kids practically grew up with it! In fact, when we leave for a trip the
neighbors have a joke. They say, there goes the Simpsons in their "Simpsonmobile". The kids are grown now and in collage. Probably another reason why we don't sell and buy another RV. This girl is paid for! Well, let me get to my questions. The major problem I have is overheating. It seems to occur on grades and over 50 MPH. I took it to the repair shop we deal with and they checked the cooling system, including the radiator and water pump and came to the conclusion that the problem
was the thermostat. It was replaced with one they said was recommended for that particular engine. We just returned from our yearly week at the state park at Calavaras Big Trees and guess what? Your right, it overheated. I am totally blown away. Has anyone had a similar problem? I noticed on the merchandise order form you sell a 160 degree thermostat. Perhaps the repair shop installed the wrong one. The next question involves the outside retractable step. How in the heck can I tighten it. The nut seems to be frozen and when I try to tighten them the whole bolt turns. How can I access the the inside to replace the bolts? I have questions for days but the other thing that has baffeled me is where to locate the bolts that secure the rear swivel seat.
Tom Martini, ACOC #3217
Shayne Barr
ACOC #3146

Shayne

Posted for Mark Smith by Admin
9/16/01
Answer: There are two types of thermostats. The best temp to use is 180 degrees. The common one has a 1 inch opening, but is not adequate for the 440 engine. The other one has a 1 1/2 inch opening and is used for heavy duty engines. You will not get this one unless you ask for it and it is usually on order. The ACOC has the correct one. If not they can show you the difference between the two at the national campouts. Why don't you ask the guy who selected it for you what the make and part number was of the one you installed. Maybe we can identify it as right or wrong. If it is correct, I would next look at the fan clutch as the cause of heat. Also check the heat riser valve on the right side exhaust manifold to be sure it is free to swing by the coil spring. If it sticks closed, it will cause lots of heat.
To get access to the mounting bolt to the rear swivel seat remove the table and raise up the platform that the seat is attached to. The platform has either 3 or 4 brass screws evenly spaced across the back (next to the wall) One screw will be in each corner. A compass may help you find the screws in the carpet. Without removing the screws along the front of the panel, lift the panel enough to gain access to the seat mounting bolt.
Mark Smith, ACOC#1077
Shayne Barr
ACOC #3146

Shayne

Posted for Bill Gould by Admin
9/16/01
Answer: Tom, I had the same problem with my 78 Chevy Clipper and I changed the lower radiator hose and that solved my problem. Hope this helps. Bill Gould - not yet a member
Shayne Barr
ACOC #3146