News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

Clipper Air Conditioner and new owners

Started by Armhook, November 11, 2013, 07:26:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armhook

Looking for some insight about the air conditioner.  It doesn't seem to have any power at all.  We are new owners of a 77 AC.  Pretty excited this baby only has 19K original miles on her.  We are going through all the things inside and everything is perfect except for a few things that age has done to her, so we replaced the carpet and curtains to update it a little.  I don't beleive the air conditioner had much use to be damanged.  The generater only had 10 hours of use on it!  Does anyone have any clue where to begin with this air conditioner?
78 Clipper

Doug & Lynn

Toedtoes

Welcome!

Have you tried running it while plugged into shore power?  Does it give any sign of power then?

Also, do your indoor lights, water pump, etc. work on the generator and/or shore power? 

If everything only works on the shore power, then the problem may be the wiring from the generator to the converter.  If nothing works on neither, then the problem may be the converter.  If only the AC unit doesn't work, then it is most likely within the unit.
'75 American Clipper Dodge 360 821F; ACOC #3754

Armhook

Can you help me locate the converter?  Lights come on wih direct power however the plugs do not work without a direct connection.

78 Clipper

Doug & Lynn

Toedtoes

Follow your battery cables back.  They should come out of the converter box (which may be encased in a metal box - mine is).  Mine is located directly behind the battery in the battery compartment (rear kitchen floorplan).

When you say the "plugs" only work on direct connection, do you mean the 110 outlets (like in your house)?  If so, then that is the way it should be.  The outlets do not work on battery power - only on shore power or generator power.  The lights and water pump should work regardless of power source.
'75 American Clipper Dodge 360 821F; ACOC #3754