News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

Recalls 1980.

Started by sandeelfly, September 17, 2013, 05:58:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandeelfly

So I read the frame/steering recalls issued in 1980.  Can I still force Chrysler to comply 33 years later.   Sounds serious with the frame cracking.   The 1977 I just bought seems to have a lot of play in the wheel.  Also the break pedal seems to travel much closer to the floor than I would like..

Any comments are most welcome.   Also how do I keep my right foot from getting too hot?

New at this game..

Thanks

Bill in Utah
NAVY Veteran
Naval Security Group
1969-1979
Retired, now Fly fishing and oil painting.

Toedtoes

I'm not sure on the recall.  My assumption is that there is a max time frame to have the repair/replacement done before the manufacturer no longer has liability.  You might be able to check with them and verify whether the repair/replacement was done - and if not, ask them if they would fix it even now.  They might see the cost of the repair worth the goodwill/positive advertisement they gain from it.

As to the steering wheel, I know mine is pretty loose.  I think that is normal for the era.  I remember being able to turn a power steering vehicle 90 degrees with my fingertips.  Cars now aren't that loose.  Heck, compared to my Clipper, my Durango feels like there's no power steering.

Not sure on the brakes, have you checked them (or had them checked).   Again, it may be just the difference between then and now, but I'd make sure they are in good condition.

For the heat issue, there is a post somewhere in here about re-insulating the doghouse.  The guy who did it said it made a huge difference.  Mine is pretty well insulated, it's warm but not burning.  I'm not sure on your year model but on mine (75), there is a little door on the lower left wall of the cab.  It's right where you can reach it with your left foot.  When open, you get fresh air coming in from right about the tire well (be careful of little stones, etc. flying in).  It does help cool down the foot area (it's the original "floor vent").

I'm sure others will come by and add info, etc.
'75 American Clipper Dodge 360 821F; ACOC #3754

retrorob

Check out your front suspention. These dodge frames have two idler arms, two drag links on top of 4 tie rods. When I got my Clipper they were all shot and mine only had 57k on it. There is a huge amount of weight on the front end and wears parts fast!

sandeelfly

I just had my UT safety inspection... Ball joints and wheel bearings :(...passed emissions... ;D
NAVY Veteran
Naval Security Group
1969-1979

Toedtoes

You might get your ball joints rechecked to be sure. 

When I had new tires installed, the installer said my ball joints needed replacement. Since it was headed to my mechanic's straight afterwards, I declined.  I told my mechanic (who had inspected them not 2 months before) and he rechecked them.  He said they were fine - a "bit loose" but fine. 

I then visited my Dad who had been a mechanic at a Dodge dealership in the 70's and he said they were made to have that give (looseness).
'75 American Clipper Dodge 360 821F; ACOC #3754

bulldog 1995

10 years is all the manufacturer is responseable for
77 821 FCIT Dodge 440 w/less then 30,000 miles

sandeelfly

I did replace the steering box even though it passed inspection.
NAVY Veteran
Naval Security Group
1969-1979