News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

Water Pump and/or 12v Issues - Any Ideas?

Started by Toedtoes, August 28, 2013, 09:29:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toedtoes

So, I replaced my engine and house batteries with new AGM batteries (deep cycle for the house).  Things were great for about a week - but I wasn't doing too much.  Last night, I went out to run down the house battery a bit to make sure it recharges properly.  I switched on the water pump, but it didn't kick on until I ran the faucet (perfect).  Then I started turning on various lights.  At one point, the power just crashed.  All my circuit breakers and fuses are good, but the lights and pump won't run.

I plugged back into AC and the lights and water pump started working again.  I unplugged the AC and turned on the water pump.  The pump didn't kick in (faucet dwindled to nothing) and the battery condition control said there was no power.  As soon as I turned off the water pump switch, the battery control says the battery is fully charged, but the lights won't turn on.

Today, my boss and I checked out the batteries and they are fully charged and the house is charging off the engine battery.  It does not appear to be charging off the AC.  The water pump is still "killing" my 12v power.

After a while (at least 5-10 minutes), my 12v power will turn on the lights, but if I switch on the water pump it all crashes again.

Since everything works fine on AC, I'm thinking it might be my converter.  But I don't have any info on the converter (I believe it's the original) so know where to search.  My boss thinks that my water pump might be wacky and is messing up or shorting out a connection to the converter.

Does anyone have any idea on where I should look first?  I'm planning on taking it out for a couple days in about a week and would like to have running water if possible, but don't have a lot of money to spend at the moment.
'75 American Clipper Dodge 360 821F; ACOC #3754

LARRY RAY

Goggle the brand and model. I found circuit board for mine. Something  is not quit right with it.
ACOC# 3514
1978--821F-- ser#48851 440 Dodge  Built on a Dream--Still a Dream.  Let's all keep it that way.

Toedtoes

Great.  Thanks.  I do have a 2-year old converter/charger that I pulled from my TT when I traded it in, so I'm going to switch out the converter and see if that solves the problem.  Wish us luck.  ;D

Clipper Joe

Hello Toedtoes,

I have my old Converter out of my 1977, can you Snap a photo of the Door Open Where Fuses& Breakers Are.

There is a Relay That Comes in to Supply 12Vdc
I think there is 2 red wires & All White Wires on other side
The Contacts may not be connection to give you Apply A load of 12 Vdc,
Then you plug Shore 110Vac, it has a Step Down Transformer That Closes Contacts.

If they have power to it & No power out may need.
To clean contacts. Hope that is it.
May have also bad Board Like Larry Ray States,
It is hard to trouble Shoot with out Seeing the Unit.
& I'm only going on my problem I have on A 1977,
Don't know what your 1975 looks Like?

Hope this makes since to you.

Joe
1977 Dodge 440  Rear Kitchen
Note: Clipper Sold: (Miss It)
ACOC#3749
Now Own 2002 Class A Diesel Pusher

Toedtoes

Thanks.  Since the consensus is that the problem is the converter, I'm getting it checked out this Wednesday.  They'll do a diagnosis and unless the problem is an easy fix, we'll just replace it with my spare converter/charger.

Clipper Joe

Hello Toedtoes,

That's Great you are Going to Get Power Center, Looked at.

I Have Replaced Mine With A Progressive Dynamic Unit 60Amp. It gives you every Circuit You Need For Clipper. Also you Have a Extra 6-8 12Vdc Spares & 2-4 Extra 110Vac Breakers, Spaces.
You Have A 30Amp. Unit Now Correct?

The one Spare From TT Does It Have Enough Power For all Circuits, & Possible A/C & Gen-Set.?

Also Where your Shore Power on your 1975 does it Have a Receptacle Plug to Plug Cable in it ?
It goes To 30 Amp. GFCI Breaker # 1 on Controller. When you run Generator if you Have One.
This Breaker is Grounded, Not the same Ground As 110V From Shore. 

I can Send so photos if you need them?

Joe

ACOC#3749

Toedtoes

Hi Joe,

The spare one is a Progressive Dynamics PD9245CV 45amps.  I don't have a generator and only use the battery for lights, water pump, etc. - I don't run tvs, microwaves, AC, etc.  It was more than enough in the TT doing the same work, so it should be fine in the clipper.

I have a professional RV guy doing the work, so it should result in a working system - if not, he's in serious trouble.  ;D  If he can't get it up and working this week, then I'll come begging for your photos over the next month.  I'm hoping it will work and that I can focus on my steering gear box next.

Clipper Joe

Hi Toedtoes,

It sounds like Your TT Power Unit will work.
For What Power you Need.

If My Wife Is Feeling Ok & I Can Make National Meet, & You are There Sat.
I will Show you my Set-Up. A Little Cost But are Sure Pleased With The Operation.
No Worries.

Good Luck, Make Sure He Marks The Wires So You In Future Can Change If Needed.
Both 110Vac & 12Vdc...
This is a Must Do.. It also Helps in Trouble Shooting in Future.

Let me know How you make out?

Joe
ACOC#3749