News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Propane Tank refill question 1978 Dodge American Clipper

Started by satorizero, August 09, 2013, 05:08:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

satorizero

Hello all.

This is my first RV, never done anything with one before (just dumped at an RV park the other day for my first time  ::) ).
Would like to know how I can refill the propane tank and what type of fuel it needs? I ask what type of fuel because on the dial on the tank it says 50/50 Butane/Propane... which confused me.... so do i need both, or one and what steps do I take to properly refill?

Thanks in advance

p.s. any advice on propane tank and usage would be also appreciated.

bulldog 1995

According to the gauge, the tank can be filled butane, propane, or a 50/50 blend of both. However the RV is set up for propane and you run butane in it, it will cause a fire in the RV!

Propane jets (what throttles the gas for a controlled burn) are larger then butane jets as the propane is a much denser gas than butane.

Very few RV applinances where set-up to run butane in the 70's, so odds are that the RV is set-up for propane. you can take the RV to anywhere that refills propane from the large tank into your own tanks, and they will know how to properly refill your tank.
77 821 FCIT Dodge 440 w/less then 30,000 miles

satorizero

Oh awesome bulldog, thanks again!
So I basically turn off everything, rv too, close all outlets I assume, unscrew cap... Plugin hose... Fill til its like 3/4 full on gauge? Or F? Close up valve, drive away? Lol... As i post ill also research... 100%  Propane it is tho!

P.s. How long typically would a full tank last on very mild usage?

caninecaravan

Before I fill that tank, I would have somebody check out the integrity by running a pressure test. It may just be the rust and then you could think about maybe repainting it white. I fill up a tank and it usually lasts all summer since the only thing we use the propane for is the stove. All the rest is electric when you get to a campground. Most of the U-Haul places can fill the tank. When it spits back, its full. CanineCaravan
canine caravan ACOC #3552

Toedtoes

I dry camp normally and I use propane for my stove, fridge and water heater and have not run out of propane yet.  I don't use the shower and usually camp for 3 nights at a time.  I was concerned when I started out that I would run out, but by the end of the trip, I had only used about 1 gallon tops.  I was very conservative with my usage.  Then I stopped being so conservative and started using my hot water more frequently.  I ran out of fresh water and still had used only about a gallon of propane. Now, I have found a middle ground that works well for me.

Before I leave, I run the fridge on electrical for at least a night and stock it.  Then when I get to my destination, I set it to propane.  That way the propane just has to maintain the temp rather than doing a full cool down.  Also, keeping the fridge fairly full will help reduce the energy needed to keep it cool.  If I don't have that much cold foods, I fill it with bottled waters, etc. and that helps.

Some folks will heat the water before they leave so that they have hot water as soon as they get to their campsite.  I find it doesn't take that long to heat up, so I usually don't worry until I get to my site.  As soon as I arrive, I light my pilot lights on the fridge and water heater and then set up camp, take a tour around the grounds.  By the time I need to use the hot water, it is hot enough.

I haven't used the propane heater, so I don't know how that would alter things.  But from my understanding, it will use more electrical power for the fan than it will actual propane.

Another thing to remember is that if the propane hasn't been used for a while, it may need a few minutes to run before it gets to the appliances.  Be patient.
'75 American Clipper Dodge 360 821F; ACOC #3754

Clipper Joe

Hello, Satorizero & All,

When I First Got My 1977 Clipper in 2002, I Did What CanineCaravan Suggested, Bulldog Is Also Correct. This Gas Is The Same As Your Standard Bar B Que Grills @ Home..
Went To LPG (Liquid Propane Gas) Shop.  Suburban Or Kamps, I Made First Valve At Tank Was Shut OFF Then Plug Line, Removed Tank And Rubber LPG Hose, Had Tank Tested, New Gauge & New Brass Fill Valve Installed, also had them Order A New Hose From Tank To Steel Pipe.
Then I Taped Off Gauge Area, any fittings & Painted Tank With Rust Proof Gloss White, Then Installed Warning Labels, I Got From LPG Shop, Then Re-Installed Tank, Installed New Hose.
Then Took Clipper Back To Shop & Had Them Fill Unit & Checked For Leaks....
Note: Make Sure All Fittings Use Proper Thread Sealant, I Used Rector Seal 5, If You Feel It Is To Big To Tackle, Get A Quote From Good LPG Shop On What This Will Cost First.
I Will Send A Photo, & Try & Send One Of How I Wrapped Hose To Protect From Elements, Remember Age Is Hard On Rubber Products..

Hi Toedtoes, Just Read Your Post, While Typing Mine. I Do Pretty Much The Same, Use Electric First, Then Go To LPG, While Driving. My New Dometic Only Takes 3 Hours To Freeze, Great Investment.
Just Got Back From My Fishing Trip, Will Post Later.

Hope This Helps,
Joe & Denise
1977 Dodge 440  Rear Kitchen
Note: Clipper Sold: (Miss It)
ACOC#3749
Now Own 2002 Class A Diesel Pusher

Toedtoes

I have the original fridge in mine.  I had it plugged in and the fridge running, then took it out and didn't plug it back in on my return.  Over a week later, my freezer was STILL COLD.  The fridge was pretty much empty so wasn't holding the cold, but the freezer sides were still very cold to the touch.

I don't run my propane while I'm driving.  I just don't find it necessary for how I travel in it.  The fridge does have 12v capability, so I could run it on that while I drive, but so far it stays pretty cold for a good amount of time without worrying about the propane while on the road.
'75 American Clipper Dodge 360 821F; ACOC #3754

satorizero

Thank you guys for the responses. Ima get to the propane soon enough... just wanted to ask before I get to it... will think about the paint and testing and such first then ima fill it up. Wont get to it yet because im working on the bathroom right now which Ill update all yall on with a new post with pics, then I can get to the propane cuz im gonna need to heat the water for the shower. So bare with me, ill have to come back to this post a few times as I go... Ill talk to you guys soon :)

LARRY RAY

These tanks last years and years. Find a fueling station, that fills bottle and delivers to the country, turn everything off and let them take care of it. You should have to do nothing but pay them. I use mine for weeks at a time running the fridge and water heater and usually never run out in a ten day period. Now the Heater is a different story.
ACOC# 3514
1978--821F-- ser#48851 440 Dodge  Built on a Dream--Still a Dream.  Let's all keep it that way.

satorizero

I figured I should maybe get it all leak tested.. gotta find out how much that will be though :/