News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Back-Up Rear Camera

Started by Clipper Joe, June 11, 2013, 01:22:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clipper Joe

Hi All,

Just Wanted To Share This, I Installed A Rear Back Up Camera On Our Clipper Over Weekend, I Also, Put A 7" Mirror Monitor.

It Has 2 Audio Inputs, Av1 & Av2, Uses 12 Vdc Power & Ground & Yellow Video RCA Cable.

I Ran Video & 12 Vdc + To Rear Of Clipper Under Clipper & Wires Up Ladder To Top Of Rear Window.
Will Try To Post Photos,But I'm Still Having Trouble Uploading Pictures.

I Hooked It Up To A Lighted Toggle Switch, Next To Fog Light Toggle Switch.

You Can Also, Hook To Acc Off Key Switch & Connect To Reverse Back-Up Light.

The Reason I Hooked To Toggle Switch, I Want To Observe My Boat While Going Down Road.

Had A Flat On Boat Trailer With Old Motorhome, I Thing I Drove About 5 Miles Before I Notice Trailer Was leaning. Should Help A lot.
I Was Going To Maybe Use Other Av2 Input & Install Another Small Camera On Right Side Mirror To Help Blind Side Of Clipper.

I Got This Unit A My Friends Stereo Shop, They Have Them @ Costco, Best Buys, ASA Electrons ( That Is Call Voyager & It Is Wireless. I Bought A Cheap One First From eBay Did Not Work Good @ All.

Please Reply If You Have Any Question? This Is A Great Add On When You Have To Have Your Wife Backing Your Boat Down A Launch Ramp :)

Will List More Info I Have Done, New Fridge, Rear Brakes,New Power Controller, Power Transfer Switch, Sound Proof Box For Generac Generator, Hour Meter For Generator, 12Vdc Battery Main Shut Off Switch, Removed, Side Chairs, Added Slide Out Bed.   Next Project Installing 2ea. 6 Vdc Interstate Golf Cart Batteries, in Generator Compartment, & Solar Panel & Inverter.

Remember Nothing Is Impossible, Just Takes A little Longer.

Joe & Denise
1977 Dodge 440, Rear Kitchen

1977 Dodge 440  Rear Kitchen
Note: Clipper Sold: (Miss It)
ACOC#3749
Now Own 2002 Class A Diesel Pusher

Panel Pete

Joe,

Sounds like you've done quite a bit to your rig - be sure to post some pictures of your improvements when you can. I too have completely reworked my rigs generator compartment to minimize sound transmission from my Onan generator. If I may, the one thing that I would  suggest as an additional improvement to your generator Sound Proof Box is to redirect its exhaust out the back of the rig. It will further reduce the interior noise from the generator, I know that it made a rather noticeable difference when I rerouted mine.   

440 powered 77' Clipper, model 821FC

Nothing is fool proof to a talented fool.......

Clipper Joe

Hi Pete,

Thanks For Reply,
What did you use for, Black pipe what size, my Tail Pipe comes off 1" Muffler to 1" Spark Arrestor, to 1/2" Tail Pipe Extension..
Or Did You Use S.S. Flex Piping?

I Used 3" Angle Iron Across Lower Part Of Generator Box & Added 1/2" All Thread Bolts On Each End, To Support Wt., Also I Used 1-1/2" Sound Proofing, With Heat Res. Foil On One Side Of Installation, Painted The Generator Box Silver, To Reduce Heat. I'M Also Going To Put My New 6 Vdc Batteries, So it Has To Hold The Wt. of Interstate Batteries.

Joe & Denise

ACOC#3749

Panel Pete

Joe,

My generator uses regular 1 1/2" diameter exhaust tubing at its outlet. The spark arrestor/muffler is a combination piece that is a slip fit and was held in place with nothing more than an appropriately sized muffler clamp. I spun the muffler to redirect it out the back of the coach and had my local muffler guy run a 1 3/4" exhaust pipe off the outlet all the way out the rear of the coach below the bathroom.  Now the exhaust dumps out the rear away from the covered awning area and any opening windows - much safer and substantially quieter.       
440 powered 77' Clipper, model 821FC

Nothing is fool proof to a talented fool.......

Clipper Joe

Hi All,

Here A Few Photos Of Back Up Camera System On Our Clipper, This Unit Has A Mirror Monitor, It Has 12v Power, Ground & Has 2 Inputs av-1 & av2.
This Unit Can Be Wired Into Reverse Wire, I Powered It To Toggle Switch So I Can Turn On & View Fishing Boat  Being Trailering Down The Road. I Am Planning On Adding Another Camera On Right Side Of Clipper Blind Side For Easier Viewing.
This System Is A Great Safety Add On To Our Clipper.

Added Side Camera To Other Input, Works Great For Hidden Small Cars & Motorcycles..

Hope This Helps.

Joe & Denise
ACOC#3749

listeur

I'm thinking of doing the same rear monitor, but trying to decide on the right camera and wiring. Not sure if a wireless will work well, or if a dedicated system will work. I have grand plans for a 7" lcd touch screen I picked up off ebay that has all the video ports, and hdmi on it- works great and should be an interesting carputer project to add in gps, video, audio and an android stick computer without changing the aesthetics of the original dash.

My Dad gave me an old car-puter from the 80's. It has lots of sensors that I will be adding to the engine, drive train and wherever else may have useful information for me- It should be frustrating with lots of fiddling sensors, but rewarding when I can see the actual flow rates for the fuel, and the rest. I am having major issues with cooking the fuel line when going up Vail pass- at 80+F weather and 9000 ft even with the electric assist fuel pump- it is bogging down the 440 badly and I can't tell if it is starved at the carb, or getting too much fuel as there is no overflow back to the gas tank (that I know of)