News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

no rear lights! help

Started by jherbstritt, June 26, 2013, 01:57:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jherbstritt

i have a 1976 american clipper with a 318. i just picked it up in oregon. it has been sitting for 2 years. it has no tail lights no turn signal lights back or front and no break lights although the headlights work and the dash lights began working after i replaced the light switch. the head lights always worked.i checked the breaklight switch and it has continuity.thanks for your input and wisdom.

Panel Pete

First off, welcome to the club! As for your lighting issue I would start at the fuse panel and make sure that the fuses aren't blown and that the fuse holders aren't spread/broken and loosing contact. Also, check the wiring for any breaks - rodents love to chew insulation.
440 powered 77' Clipper, model 821FC

Nothing is fool proof to a talented fool.......

bulldog 1995

I had a similar problem when I bought mine. but for me it was yust 1 side doing it. it was the turn signal switch causeing the problem. Dodge had some weird wiring ideas lol :'(
77 821 FCIT Dodge 440 w/less then 30,000 miles

retrorob

Look into your turn signal switch at the steering column. I had the same problem with an old ford f250 I had. The switch was bad. The power for all the turn signals AND the brake lights are routed through the steering column switch.

Clipper Joe

Hello,

The First thing is There is a lot of good advice from Members on this forum & Other RV Sites.
It just a Matter of Trouble Shooting each Problem.

1.) First Get 12Vdc Test Light Very Helpful a must..
2.) check for 12Vdc Power @ Tail light  to Ground,
3.) A Good Ground Is a Must on Fiberglass Rigs.
     ( I have added a few Extra Grounding Straps to Cab body & Coach Frame, This can be Bought At any Auto Parts Stores i.e.; Napa, AutoZone etc.)
4.) Make sure Contacts are clean & free of oxidation on Rear Lights themselves.
5.) Check Harness under rear Bumper by hitch & check to see if you have a trailer plug for Proper operation??

Hope this helps, feel free to ask More Question if needed?

Joe

1977 Dodge 440  Rear Kitchen
Note: Clipper Sold: (Miss It)
ACOC#3749
Now Own 2002 Class A Diesel Pusher