News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

CB Radio / 2 Meter Rigs / Etc...

Started by USNRetired, September 13, 2011, 02:54:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

USNRetired

I am debating on installing a CB Radio or 2 Meter Rig in my 1977 American Clipper.  Since this thing has a fiberglass shell and fiberglass is invisible to radio signals, AND I have absolutely no desire to drill holes in the side or top, I am trying to find out if anyone has installed dual whips on the rear bumper (CB) or single whip on the rear bumper??  I am leaning strongly toward the CB Rig because not everyone has a ham license and I want to talk to as many as possible on the road. 

I considered mounting antennas on the mirror mounts, but that looks awkward to me and will they clear the upper structure of the RV.... 

Is there anyone out there who has done this?  I am one of those people who don't like reinventing the wheel when I do something and am fully willing to learn from someone else's experience (mistakes?).   ;D
Jim & Marina in Beautiful Oceanside, California
ACOC #3714
1977 Rear Kitchen Party Model (821FC)

John Eversoll

Hi ya sparkie, or should I say Cheif Sparkie"

As I did tell ya earlier that I have mine mounted on the side mirrors

They do clear the coach and I got real good reception..  Plus IF you wantr to get a whole lot of people Run a "Stinger" amplifier.....
I ran the cable thru the mirror frame and thru the mounting bracket that screws on to the door
then sealed it with r t v sealant.... Never has leaked...
Any other questions????????   just give me a hollar"     John

caninecaravan

My rig came with a CB when I bought it and the antenna was already mounted on the drivers side above the mirror with a cable running through the door and into the CB which is mounted under the dash. Reception has always been poor and I have replaced the CB with a new one. The ACOC channel is supposed to be 23 but usually nobody is listening when I get close to a rally site. I sometimes listen to the truckers on 17/18 when I am on the road. I'm not sure that it is all that good in the long run. If this one dies, I probably wont replace it.
canine caravan ACOC #3552

USNRetired

Some years ago, I had a base rig, rotating log periodic Antenna as well as mobile rigs in both my car and my pickup.  In the car, I used a firestick on a trunk mount base and in the truck twin firesticks on the rear bumper using springs and bumper mounts. 

What I am considering, if I don't do the same as John on the mirror mounts, is to buy two 102" steel whips and mount them on the rear bumper.  These are 1/4 wave antenna's and probably give you the lowest SWR naturally you can find and some of the best reception and transmission capability for a mobile unit.  The hassle is running the coax the entire length of the Clipper from the Cab to the rear bumper.  But, I know it can be done.  I did something similar with my pickup, just not as long a distance.  The rear chrome bumper should give me plenty of ground plane effect as well.

I was just hoping to be able to do something easier and quicker.  Now just to figure out where I want to mount the radio in the cab.  I guess a mount up between the two sun visors on the ceiling would work.  It's funny, but 20 years ago, it was easier to find radio's, antenna's, accessories than it is now.  CB's are not nearly as popular as when Rubber Ducky and Convoy was playing on the radio!  ha!
ACOC #3714

bulldog 1995

my 77 clip came with a CB and twin antennas mounted to the side mirrors. it gets good reception. I want to replace the antennas with lighted ones tho as I think they will look real good with the rest of the lights I am installing on the house. I like those semis that are lit from front to rear. 1 row on top and one row on the bottom. plus its kinda hard for someone to say they didn't see the rig when it's "lit up like the 4Th of July" LOL
77 821 FCIT Dodge 440 w/less then 30,000 miles

John Eversoll

Hey bulldog...  I know what you mean..  I saw a guy yesterday that had his rig light up like

a Christmas tree....."Must have had the larger Alltinator"  I am looking at Some  Led lights
for the top..Front and the top rear.Well, the interior comes first....    Take care

"Hi Jim"  You can run the cable from underneith  inside the frame and out the back..

Take care

bulldog 1995

yes i am planning to install a second engine battery and it will get a larger alternator or possably replace the factory AC compressor with a second alternator as I am also upgrading to modern halogen composite headlights, LED running and taillights, power windows, locks and a modern high power stereo
77 821 FCIT Dodge 440 w/less then 30,000 miles

mccammonds

If you really want to light up your rig y'all might want to check out some 12v cold cathode lights.
SOLD MY 1975     821F      360cc  ACOC #3645
FULL TIME IN A 21FT WAS NOT CONDUCIVE TO A HAPPY MARRIAGE.  NOW HAVE A 34 FT BOUNDER
U.S. ARMY RETIRED

John Eversoll

Hi Buddy, " Never heard of them things.... Where do ya get em.....

John  :)

USNRetired

Did a little online research and those things are coooooool!  Going to have to check them out a little more, wonder if I could use existing wiring... huummmmmmmmm/////.........  ???

Oh, for the cable run for the antlers on the rear bumper.  Yes, I know the shorter the cable run the better, John, but plan on doing some matching and using an swr meter as well, so should be able to match at about 1:1 and pick up some range and clarity.  Know one guy, years ago, who ran a linear amp on his antenna until some dirty dog turned him in to the FCC, this was back when you had to still get a License to run a CB and the FCC cared what you did and nailed peeeps for inappropriate and illegal language on-air.   :o
ACOC #3714

John Eversoll

Oh you talking about me----- ha ha ha..

Yea, I remember those days when they would just ride up to your rig and say Hand it over....

Ok Jim.
John Out

USNRetired

A lot of us ran barefoot and a lot of us ran with a linear ..  I am neither confessing nor denying.  hahahahaha!
ACOC #3714

John Eversoll

Hi Jim, Hows the traveling...  I thought htat I heard someone yell my name out the

other night... ha  ha ha ha ha ..   Have fun....   John

USNRetired

Hi John!  I solved my TV Antenna delima.  I didn't want to drill any holes in the roof to mount one of those fancy adjustable and rotateable TV Antenna's and spending the money involve to have a professional do a just job mounting what appears to be an expensive system just went against my grain. 

On my recent trip up to Happy Camp (Klamath River) in Northern California, we stopped at a Love Truck Stop on the way home.  I always check out antenna's, CB rigs and fun accessories for sale to the truckers and there it was!  My TV Antenna!!  For less than $30.00!!!  It is designed to clamp on to a truck's mirrors, just like the short firestick cb antenna's.  It also has two elements that look like 16 inch long firesticks and they screw into a heavy duty stainless steel assembly that clamps to any tube type rail or mirror rack.  There is about 12 feet of coax that comes with the assembly. 

Here is what I did, I mounted in about two feet to the right of my rear ladder, right on the luggage rail on top of my clipper.  I turned part of the mounting assembly upside down so that it lowered the entire assembly a little bit, but it does stick up about 14 inches above the rails.  I zip tied the coax and ran it down the inside of my ladder.  When I run the coax from my TV out to the rear, screw it in, I picked up 6 TV Channels off the air and most of them were clear as a bell.  Of course, not cable TV quality, but good enough for a $30 TV Antenna and for me to watch the morning news while having a cup of cofee.  I'll get some pictures and post them as soon as I can.
ACOC #3714

LARRY RAY

Sounds like a deal to me. I guess I'm spoiled though. I have an extra dish made onto a stand, take my second receiver from the house and usually in five minutes from setup or so I have what I normally have at home. That's what my wife calls me anyway. Gotta have my Fox and Friends in the morning with my coffee. She won't admit it though  she likes it too.     Food Network,   HGTV, just a couple for starters. OOPS  here she comes  gotta go.
ACOC# 3514
1978--821F-- ser#48851 440 Dodge  Built on a Dream--Still a Dream.  Let's all keep it that way.