News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

76 Dodge 440 model 821F ---newer carbs

Started by , July 15, 2006, 10:04:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

If I opt for getting rid of the old thermoquad and putting on a new Edelbrock 4 barrel such as NAPA sells, what is the correct carb to put on.  Should I also get a new intake manifold from them as well?
Chris

LARRY RAY

GET RID OF THAT PEICE OF JUNK THERMO. I JUST PURCHASED REBILT BY FACTORY EDELBROCK 750. MY 440 NOW PURRS LIKE A KITTEN. BETTER MILAGE AND PICKUP.  YOU MIGHT HAVE TO DO JUST A LITTLE LINKAGE ADJUSTING LIKE I DID BUT WELL WORTH THE EFFORT.
ACOC# 3514
1978--821F-- ser#48851 440 Dodge  Built on a Dream--Still a Dream.  Let's all keep it that way.

Larry,  So you did not even go with a new Edelbrock 750 - just a rebuilt.  OK, that should save a few bucks.  Did you just use the stock manifold?  It would really be my preference to not take off the old manifold and all its attachments but would certainly do this if the benefit merited doing so.
Chris

LARRY RAY

YES, I DID STAY WITH STOCK MANIFOLD. I DID HOWERVER HAVE TO USE THE OLDER THICK GASKET TO KEEP THE HEAT OFF THE CARB. THE 440 MANIFOLD WORKS JUST AS GOOD AND BESIDES  THERE IS NOT MUCH ROOM UNDER THAT DOGHOUSE. ANY MORE HEIGHT UNDER THERE AND IT WOULD NOT HAVE WORKED.
ACOC# 3514
1978--821F-- ser#48851 440 Dodge  Built on a Dream--Still a Dream.  Let's all keep it that way.

LARRY RAY

YES, I DID STAY WITH STOCK MANIFOLD. I DID HOWERVER HAVE TO USE THE OLDER THICK GASKET TO KEEP THE HEAT OFF THE CARB. THE 440 MANIFOLD WORKS JUST AS GOOD AND BESIDES  THERE IS NOT MUCH ROOM UNDER THAT DOGHOUSE. ANY MORE HEIGHT UNDER THERE AND IT WOULD NOT HAVE WORKED. TRY YOUR LUCK ON E-BAY. THERE ARE SOME LISTED BUY-NOW. JUST MAKE SURE IT'S WHAT YOU WANT.
ACOC# 3514

Larry,

I went to e-bay and noticed several options.  Do you have a recommendation about the "manual" versus "electric" choke options.  I do not presently have a manual choke and think that it is just an automatic and heat sensing unit of some kind.  Am I correct that I will also need to purchase a linkage adapting kit?  I saw one at the NAPA store.

It seems I also remember one sales person talking to me about"square" or "non-square configuration of the four barrels at the base.  He had two options and gobbledygook (greek-to-me) to explain the differences.  Is there one that I should choose based upon your knowledge?

Chris

LARRY RAY

AS FAR AS THE CHOCK GOES, THE ELECTRIC  WILL SAVE YOU LOTS OF HEADACHES TRING TO RUN A CABLE AND THE SORT. AS FOR THE MANIFOLD, IF YOUR ENGINE HAS NOT BEEN MAODIFIED BY SOMEONE YOU WILL THE ORIGINAL SPREAD-BORE. IT WORK JUST AS WELL AS THE OTHERS. JUST MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE REIGHT GASKET TO FIT THE NEW CARB, BECAUSE IT WILL BE OF A DIFERANT BOLT PATTERN THAN THE THERMO. JUST MAKE SURE ALL PORTS OPEN WITHOUT ANY RISTRICTION BEFOE BOLTING DOWN TIGHT.
ACOC# 3514