News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

Wiring help

Started by AndyIlles, December 15, 2004, 04:14:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndyIlles

Hi all...

One of you guys (my Alzheimers is kicking in... with apologies, I can't remember who) was kind enough to send me the wiring diagram for the van (76) and I've since misplaced it.  I just went out to start the Clip and the heater blower won't work, and all the guags except the ampmeter are at full reading.  Probably something grounded out, and I need to track it down so I'd really, REALLY appreciate whoever it was getting in contact again.

Thanx zillions...
Andy
HungarianDude@AOL.com  (561-317-2282)

Conrad

I just sent you some scanned jpg images.  4 ea for 1975-1977.  Let me know if they help. :D

matthew

Hello to all american clipper owners.

I just bought a 1979 dodge 21 ft. clipper with rear kitchen and bath. The original owner who had it, had an engine fire and luckily it was not too bad. the front engine wiring harness got burnt. I have talked to some people who do electrical work on motor homes and they tell me that I need to replace the entire harness. I want to know if anyone has replaced only the front harness in the engine compartment, and if so, can you tell me where you bought the wiring harness, I can't locate one from a junk yard so I would like to get one new. Any advice or suggestions will do.

Thank you very much.

Matthew

Andy Illes

Hiyya Matthew, and welcome to the world of Clipperdom.

In addition to this post, I had an under-dash harness melt-down from a bad wiper switch that fused everything into a mess of molten, charred insulation - ditto for the wiper wires in the engine compartment (which is actually most of the wiring in there).

There's no ready-made harness I could find, and a friend of mine just replaced it all, wire by wire.  Even with everything melted together, he was able to peel at least the copper part of each wire out of the hardened mess, one by one, and just started replacing them.  Luckily the main connector through the firewall was Ok.  If you can find 'em, try to use the same color wires, it'll help trouble shooting later.  If the wires are too fried on the engine side, the same color wire goes to the connector on the dash side, so you can tell that way.

If your main connector didn't fry, just get an assortment of different color wire and terminal set and go to work the same way.  It looked too intimidating for me to try, but watching my buddy do it, it was really quite simple if you do it the one wire at a time way, and only took about 2 hours, including soldering each connector.  Just be SURE to use at least the same or larger guage wire... never smaller!!  

All of the components under there (fusible link, ballast resistor, etc) are standard "any parts store" items.  I don't have the diagrams Conrad graciously sent me on this puter (that one's in NYC), but I'm sure he would gladly send them to you.  They are very clear and simple to follow, and probably the same or very similar to your wiring.

Wiring apart, be sure to rebuild or replace your brake master cylinder, and your power assist is probably shot too (rubber diaphragm in it).

Good luck, happy Clippering... and happy wiring...  :D
Andy