News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

Rear Frame Extension Reinforcement

Started by junebob, January 16, 2002, 06:12:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

junebob

The accompaning drawingshowing details, measurements, and material details are the system We had installed on our 1979 Clipper.The job was done by a bussiness that specializes in frame extensions,fabrication,installation of reinforced trailer hitches etc.The system described here will handle any load your suspension can carry, orany weight your Clipper can pull.Our cost to have this installation done was $550.00 in 1998.
The modification -CAN BE- done with out removing the gas station if a shop has the knowledge, experience ,equipment, and facilities.If not, it would be advisable to remove the gas tank and seal off fuel lines, vents or any other source of fumes.Removal of the tank also provides the opportunity to examine and/or replace any lines or hoses as needed. This system as pictured presupposes that a clipper is factory stock as far as the rear frame extension is concerned,with no add on trailer hitch. Our personal Clipper had a totally inadequite hitch, consequentely the two
{left & right] tapered flanges are different, and attached slightly different than shown here.I would imagine a good share of our rigs have some sort of hitch, which would require customized,
[but not difficult] alterations. The drawing and measurments as shown will allow adequite clearance for the removal of waste and fuel tanks. -NOTE- It is critically important that your installer levels your rig and insures the frame extension is plum both vertically and horizontally before the reinforcing frame is attached or welded.Good Clippering, Bob & June Chaney #2626

chrisz01

Bob Chaney.

Could you please post, call me, or email me as to the name and phone number of the shop that did your frame extension. I live in the bay area and am having trouble getting mine done. Unfortantly mine was done wrong and is cracked and will probley need to be removed and re-done. All the shops I've taken it to are afraid to deal with the gas tank being so close, (lack of confidence in thier ability and or job is to hard for them).Thanks for any assistance you can offer.
Chris Zahnd #2786 925-516-0842 or chrisz01@hotmail.com

junebob

Frame extension.  

Andy Illes

Woo HAH!!!   That's EXACTLY what I was asking about and neede, Bob... I'm posting to bring it back so others can see too.  Thank you!!!!!

junebob

Quote from: junebob on January 16, 2002, 06:12:00 AM
The accompaning drawingshowing details, measurements, and material details are the system We had installed on our 1979 Clipper.The job was done by a bussiness that specializes in frame extensions,fabrication,installation of reinforced trailer hitches etc.The system described here will handle any load your suspension can carry, orany weight your Clipper can pull.Our cost to have this installation done was $550.00 in 1998.
The modification -CAN BE- done with out removing the gas station if a shop has the knowledge, experience ,equipment, and facilities.If not, it would be advisable to remove the gas tank and seal off fuel lines, vents or any other source of fumes.Removal of the tank also provides the opportunity to examine and/or replace any lines or hoses as needed. This system as pictured presupposes that a clipper is factory stock as far as the rear frame extension is concerned,with no add on trailer hitch. Our personal Clipper had a totally inadequite hitch, consequentely the two
{left & right] tapered flanges are different, and attached slightly different than shown here.I would imagine a good share of our rigs have some sort of hitch, which would require customized,
[but not difficult] alterations. The drawing and measurments as shown will allow adequite clearance for the removal of waste and fuel tanks. -NOTE- It is critically important that your installer levels your rig and insures the frame extension is plum both vertically and horizontally before the reinforcing frame is attached or welded.Good Clippering, Bob & June Chaney #2626

junebob

THIS ENTRY WHEN  POSTED BACK IN 2002 DREW SOME COMMENTS AND/ OR QUESTIONS, THAT MUSTHAVE BEEN BE BASED ON SOME WRONG IMPRESSIONS.(NO PR0BLEM).ANYWAY HERE ARE THE ANSEWERS. (#-1 )  The detailed diagram plainly indicates that  the flange locations , size, Gauge of the steel, and the resulting angle of installation  of the reeinforcing arms would restrict or prevent any effect of side sway,up to a force that it would take to twist the entire frame.(Opinion )based on the  exstensive experience and knowledge of the fabricator and installer.
(#2 )The frame extensions as shown are the origonals  fastened to the  steel topped floor of the coach and welded to the truck frame of the the vehicle at the factory( Thats what holds  the entire " house" Down.  This  makes the question  about "how the  house is attached to the frame extensions  (Asked by one  of the local purveyors), A mute point,  ::) June bob