News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

Solar Power

Started by Teresa, September 28, 2003, 01:42:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teresa

Newbie Question....I would prefer to be connected by solar power instead of propane for a variety of reasons. Has anyone made that conversion on their Clipper?  

At present my propane tank is leaking and Camper's World said a replacement tank would cost about $800. I would rather spend my money on something clean and renewable like a solar conversion, instead of a new tank.    

Additionally, my mother is on oxygen -however I would like her to be able to travel with us - making propane an obvious no-no.    

Suggestions much appreciated.

Horst

If you are going to go to places that have hook-ups, then you won't miss propane that much (I assume you'll be cooking with a portable gas stove, or electric stove and/or microwave, and use an electric heater for heat when needed) In this scenario, you could get away with a relatively inexpensive, (under $1,000 ) and fairly efficient solar set-up.

However, if you plan on going to places without hook-ups, and you plan to stay any length of time, and you want your solar to provide "real world electricity" - well then you'll likely want a much more sophisticated, and powerful  set-up, probably with 4 golf cart batteries, a good inverter, etc. This will set you back a few thousand dollars......
Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.

Teresa

You pretty much summed up my thoughts on the matter.  I doubt I will be anywhere long without a hookup, as "camping" to me means roughing it in the RV  with AC power !    I would rather spend the money on other things than a propane tank at this point. Thanks for the reply.

Conrad

Is the tank really leaking or is it just a fitting?  The tanks can look pretty bad on the outside, rust scale etc.  I replaced the hose and fittings on mine and that did the trick.

AndyIlles

Teresa...
Not sure where your concern about using oxygen is coming from.  Oxygen itself isn't flamable or explosive... excess oxygen merely accellerates combustion.  Everyone has seen the hospital room warnings "Oxygen, no smoking".  Well, if you blow pure oxygen on a lit cigar, say, all that happens is the cigar burns faster.  Propane appliances in an oxygen-rich environment is no problem... relax.

If you DO have propane leaking into the unit (not likely) with excess oxygen and it ignites, you'll just get a bluer mushroom cloud..  

I agree with the previous post.  It's NOT likely you have a leaky tank.  Mine looked AWFUL when I got it, but wire=brushing/painting was all it needed - tank-walls are THICK!!  If there's a leak, it's either a valve or connection.. cheap fix at any gas seller.  At the same time, they'll check all connections.

Teresa

My Mom passed away before we could get out on the road.  I will check on the tank as you suggested and review the solar info, as well.  I really appreciate the help!!