News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Mis aligned pulley

Started by Nel77, May 22, 2002, 02:43:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nel77

I recently purchased my 77 Clipper with a 440 in it. I keep throwing power stearing belts. I was told to go to a double pulley, but I am not entirely sure this will solve all of my problems. I had it in the shop and they said that the pulley on the PS pump is out of alignment with the crank by 1/4". The previous owner claims he has never changed the pump and has never had any problems with belts. He did say that he replaced the fan clutch though. I am stumped! Can anyone help with this. My parents were going to borrow it for about a 1200 mile trip starting this weekend and I don't feel comfortable lending it to them in this condition. HELP!!!!!
Thanks,
RN
Rapid City, SD

junebob

Throwing belts. I remember from the back news letters the installation of the wrong fan clutch ,and the results.This fan clutch came with a spacer for use where needed. If some one in the past put on the proper fan clutch and still used this spacer. then that could be your missalinement problem.Suggestion. Check you fan clutch , see if it has a spacer between it and the water pump hub.    Just a possibility. Bob Chaney #2626

Nel77

Thanks Bob. I will be sure to check it. Actually I took it to another shop and the guy found the problem right off of the bat. The power steering pump was missing a spacer. I will check the fan clutch as well. Could lead to other problems down the road. I am seriously considering either putting a double pulley on the PS pump or an additional idler pulley for the water pump to prevent wear and tear. Do you agree?
Thanks,
RN
Rapid City, SD
PS Hope to have my own membership number soon. Just sent in my application the other day.

byeager

From previous experience - owner 1984 to present.
Put double belts on the water pump - either a double drive on the p/s pump or the Dodge extra idler for a second water pump drive belt. I was changing p/s belts every 500 - 1500 miles until I added the extra idler drive belt.  I had changed the water pump, fan clutch, rodded out the radiator, changed termostat and the only permanent fix is the second belt on the water pump!!!  Hope this helps everyone who does not have dual belts installed.