News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

NEED PRESSURE HOSE FOR A/C

Started by PapaBearB, May 22, 2002, 05:00:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PapaBearB

I HAVE A SMALL LEAK IN MY A/C PRESSURE HOSE IN MY
1978 CLIPPER.  DODGE 440 ..ANY IDEALS WHERE I MIGHT FIND A NEW HOSE!  
mailto:JBANDA@PKFAMILY.COM">JBANDA@PKFAMILY.COM  

Brendan

Try a junk yard. The hoses out of a similar year Dodge Van should do the job. Try to find one with the complete system that hasn't been opened.

egibbons

Timely you should ask. I just last week replaced the low side hose on my Clipper. A new one couldn't be found, and I chose not to go the route of the junkyard, as any hose found there is likely to be on the verge of breakdown too. The rubber is just too old. So, I had the remaining few ounces of freon extracted and saved by a cooperative local automotive shop, removed the complete hose assembly and took it to the best machine shop in town. $85 later, they had trimmed off the crimp and attached a new chunk of hose with connectors they'd ordered for the purpose. Unfortunately, the connectors are longer than the originals, so the bend coming out of the "muffler" wouldn't clear the firewall. A trip back to the shop, another $20 and they installed a right angle connector on the now almost too short hose. It all works, and seems to be holding it's charge for our upcoming trip to the Grand Canyon. Oh, use rubber plugs or duct tape to plug up the open freon system while you are having the work done, as moisture in the system will foul things up. Also, have them add 4 to 6 inches to the hose length to allow for the longer connectors, and make sure to get the right gaskets and o-rings when reassembling. By the way, the going rate is $60 per lb. for R-12. Your dodge MB300 will need 2 lb. 14 oz. or so, unless you can do it yourself and buy the stuff off ebay. Good luck.

Eric Gibbons, #3021