News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Dangerous Clipper?

Started by Horse Badorties, May 09, 2002, 04:41:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Horse Badorties

My 79 Clipper is equipped with seemingly origional carpet. Under the front carpet, surrounding the dog-house is white, fiberous, heat shielding. This leads the mind to one word: Asbestos.  Could it be? If so how should I proceed? Is my clipper safe?

Shayne

I'm not sure if it is or it isn't asbestos.  But I sure wouldn't worry about it unless you were planning on fixing it for breakfast, or using it as a salad garnish.

For the most part, the asbestos thing is hype.  Yes, if you were exposed to lots of it for long periods of time, you would inhale enough fibers to do damage, and end up with lung cancer. It was discovered because of people that worked with it on a daily basis were getting sick, and occaisionally their family members would get sick to due to fibers being brought home on a daily basis on clothing and such.  But then a few attorneys get ahold of the deal, and suddenly we have brake shoes that don't work as well, and people affraid of anything that might contain fibers. And that came to me from a customer of mine that removes asbestos and other "hazardous" materials like lead paint for a living. Mostly in schools and government institutions  

Seal the edges with some aluminum tape or other suitable material and forget about it.  

Another useful tip - If you live in an old house, don't eat the paint off the walls.  It tastes yucky, and might make you sick.
Shayne Barr
ACOC #3146

egibbons

I agree with Shayne.    For Shayne's protection though, I'll point out that his post is his own opinion and does not consititute advise or instruction, nor does it represent a club position. Any action taken is the sole responsibility of that person.

I simply add that if there is significant danger to those of us periodically exposed to asbestos, it occurs only when the stuff is disturbed, like when you pull up the carpet, and install new. As long as the stuff is covered, the fibers don't float around and all is well. I'd leave it alone. If you are planning to replace the carpet yourself, I'd wear a resperator.

Horse Badorties

Thanks, sounds like solid information.  No asbestos salad garnish for me...I think I'll leave it be.