News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Roof vent covers

Started by Waiting, September 14, 2015, 03:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Waiting

Is there a source for plastic roof vent covers? We're in dire need and can't find anything that fits properly.

After thinking about it, metal covers would be even better.

Thanks,

gary

kenmel

If I am not mistaken the covers that go over the vents and replacement vents themselves are available at Camping World and most RV places also carry them. On most you have to replace the whole vent assembly not just the cover, but all the vents on RV's are usually a standard 14x14.If you are feferring to the front escape hatch it and the cover only are both available to members from the club supply officer. There is a huge wealth of knowledge in this forum about Clippers and I hope to see your post as your Journey with your Clipper continues. Welcome to the forum, Ken
Ken and Melissa, 1978 821 FIT, rear kitchen. ACOC #3805

Waiting

Thanks for the reply. The problem I'm having is that the covers I've found are too shallow. Also, the hinges don't mate properly. I'd like to have the time to do it properly and replace the whole vents but right now I just need to keep the rain out. All, including the escape hatch need to be replaced.

gary

Toedtoes

Have you looked at the basic Camco vent covers?  I put them on my clipper and Clipper Joe put them on his.  I now leave my vents open 365 days a year - no leaking.  You can get them at Walmart, Amazon, Camping World, etc.
'75 American Clipper Dodge 360 821F; ACOC #3754

kenmel

Also if you become a member of the ACOC,  the escape hatch cover and complete escape hatch are for sale along with a lot of other American Clipper specific parts.  Welcome to the forum. Got any pics of your Clipper? And x3 on the Camco covers, they work great and mount around the original vents but allow you to have your vents open when t is raining or if you want them open when driving. Replacing my whole vents probably took me around an hour. Ken
Ken and Melissa, 1978 821 FIT, rear kitchen. ACOC #3805

Waiting

Thanks, I'll check those out but probably should just bite the bullet and replace all with complete new vents. Sorry, no pics. It hasn't been driven since the 80s - starts and runs but the transmission fluid leaked out and won't move the vehicle even after refilling. The windshield has some pellet gun hits and should probably be replaced, too. I'll address those issues later when time allows. No big hurry other than the, hopefully, coming winter rains.

gary

Clipper Joe

Hello All You Clipper Folks,
Winter Is Slowly Creeping Up Again. And A Leaking Clipper Roof & Roof Vents Is A Pain In The ???  :'(

So On These Roof Vent Questions, Hope I Can Address These.

1.) There Are A Lot Of Mfg. Of RV Roof Vents.( Vent line,Elixir,Heng Made In China), Most Clippers Came With 2-3Ea. On Roof. There Is 2ea. 14" x 14" Vents & An Escape Hatch Over Bunk Area, 15" x 22" This Unit Has A Red Pull To Open The Vent To Roof.

2.) Now On Escape Hatch, Some Clipper Owners Have Enlarged There Openings To Add A Larger Escape Hatch Units. This Can Be Done, You Have To Cut Roof Larger & Re-Frame Hole Area.I Feel This Is A lot Of Work, & If You Are A Very Large Person You May Want To Try Exit Door.

3.) On The 14"x 14"Small Vents & Covers, If Your Vent Units Are Sealed Properly, But Covers Are Cracked, I Would Just Invest In A Replacement Cover Only, You Have Your Choice Of Clear Or Smoked Color, Remember On Smoke Cover, You Have Less Natural Light Available. Also On Some Bathroom Vent Units, Have a 12Vdc Fan In Them To Move Air In Rest Room. 

4.) If Your Vent Cover Is Cracked Or Is Leaking Badly, I Would Recommend A Complete  Vent Unit. To Remove Vent Unit Note Please Use Caution While Working On Clipper Roofs, Use A Strong Rigid 2" Putty Knife, Cordless Drill With Phillips Drill Bit, Some Butyl  Seal Tape & A Few Tubes Of Self Leveling Dicor Sealant White. Now I Have Read A Few Posts On Different Sealants, Like Marine & 3-M Products. These Are Very Good On Boats, But Most RV's Have A Small Window Of PM Maintenance. If You Use These Other Sealants You May Have To Use A Jack-Hammer To Remove Vents If They Ever Fail. Most RV Shops Recommend The Dicor Products. For Roof Seals. ;) ;)

5.) Now After You Have Repaired Your Vent/Covers & Have Sealed Around Vent Frames & Screws, You May Want To Invest In A Vent Cover. There Are Also Many Mfg. Like Max-Air, Camco Some Are Costly, I Have Found That Walmart Has The Camco #40431 About $20.00, Some Come In White & Black. I Would Go On-Line To get The Best Price Amazon Has These In White For $17.00 + Shipping.

There Are Other Places Like Camping World, Etrailer.com & Adventurerv.net

This Is Another Small Note: If Replacing Just Vent  Cover, 14'x 14" Make Sure What Vent Frame You Have, Most Pre-2008 The Ventline Is Your Best Fit # BV 0554-01 ***  Kit# 00030

Now Heng Sells A Vent Unit With Metal Cover Top #75111-C But It Is Made In China, I Think These Are Made For Horse Trailers. I Like The Ventline Products, Work Well On My Clipper.

I Also, Want To Tell You, That For A Cost  Fan Tastic Fan Sells A Replacement Vent. I Installed One Over Kitchen Area, Comes With 3 Speed Fan & Has Vent Cover Switch About $130.00, They Also Have Remote Control Fans Also, They  Are Pricey $289.00. :o

Please Feel Free To Input This Post, Or If You Have Any Questions. ;) ;)

Joe

1977 Dodge 440  Rear Kitchen
Note: Clipper Sold: (Miss It)
ACOC#3749
Now Own 2002 Class A Diesel Pusher

Waiting

Joe, thanks for that detailed message. I'm pretty sure the vents units are ok. The covers are cracked, broken, or completely broken out. The interior ceiling has water damage and I'd like to prevent any more from happening. In a pinch I'll tarp it.

gary

bulldog 1995

I was able to get replacement 14"x14" vents for mine for about $30 each. They also had a replacement roof escape hatch for it but wanted over $300 for it! so I bought a white skylight that was a little bigger the hatch for about $40 at the rv shop, 2 - 8' 2x3s 2 - 2" hinges a 8' length of drip edge, a roll of whether striping and a hook and eye from a hardware store for less then $30. I built the frame to match the skylight with the 2x3 layed on edge, used 3M Lifecaulk to attach it to the roof, built the top with the wood layed flat placed the drip edge down in a layer of lifecaulk then put a good bead on the flange of the skylight and screwed it down onto the upper frame through the drip edge, placed the hinges on the front bottom edge and a hook and eye to be able to lock it closed along with 3/4"wheatherstriping to keep the rain out.

I did this over 3 yrs ago, I have added a "knee hinge" to keep it open in a approx. 100deg angle when parked and have had no trouble with it. I have driven at freeway speeds (60-70mph) with no problems 
77 821 FCIT Dodge 440 w/less then 30,000 miles