News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

Entry door replacement lock?

Started by pdxpfeifer, May 26, 2015, 07:25:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pdxpfeifer

Our door lock is broken and won't lock and decide RV. No secondary dead bolt had been installed. What's the opnion? Drill a deadbolt or replace door latch with a new model that locks? Are the new entry locks more secure than original models?

I'm looking at this lock on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002LKCG0O/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1432693478&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SY200_QL40&keywords=rv+entry+door+dead+bolt&dpPl=1&dpID=31j7hLPgb7L&ref=plSrch
1977 440 rear kitchen #3799

Toedtoes

I think our door latches are the Bargman L-300 (can someone confirm?).  You can find vintage (the silver) and new ones (black) on ebay for around $100.  The one you linked to might not fit exactly, so you might have to do some alterations to get it to fit.
'75 American Clipper Dodge 360 821F; ACOC #3754

Clipper Joe

Hi,
The Original Lock On Clippers Are A L-300 Bargman, They Have Kits Available On E-Bay From Time To Time. I Have A Few Spares, Since These Are Not Being Made Any Longer. It Is Wise To Have A Extra Dead Bolt For Safety.

The Link You Sent Is The Replacement Lock/Dead Bolt To Replace The L-300. The Thing You Need To Shop Around You Can Get A Better Price When They Are On Sale With Free Shipping.

I Have Seen Many Of Old RV Rigs @ Wrecking Yards, Can Get A Good Orig. For About $30.00 Used. Easy To Clean & Lube.

Make Sure You Make Sure Your Lock Is Hitting Straker Correctly, There Are 2ea. Pins On End Of Lock That Are Adjustable.

Hope This Helps,

Joe   
1977 Dodge 440  Rear Kitchen
Note: Clipper Sold: (Miss It)
ACOC#3749
Now Own 2002 Class A Diesel Pusher

Clipper Joe

Toedtoes,

That Is Corrrect It Is Bargman Model # L-300. No Longer Being Made.

A New Old Stock Can Go As High As $300.00, & Range On E-Bay For Kit $100.00 & Used From $75.00 -$150.00.
These Are Getting Harder To Find, Some Old RV Supply Houses Still Have Old Stock.

It Is Also Good To Add A Small RV Deadbolt For Added Safety.

Joe
ACOC#3749

Toedtoes

I've seen how quickly someone can break into the cab doors with a wire hanger - don't know if the deadbolt is really anything more than a placebo effect. :)

For me, the best preventative action I can take is to make sure things of value have a place and are put away whenever I'm not using them.  No laptop left on the dinette table while I take a hike.  No chargers left sitting out.  No camera gear sitting out.  And so on.  Our clipper windows are wonderful for looking out, but they are great for looking in also.
'75 American Clipper Dodge 360 821F; ACOC #3754

pdxpfeifer

Thanks guys. We had stuff taken while it was at the automotive shop. Everything was put away but they riffled through everything.

For adding an additional deadbolt - what size? 5/8 or 1" there are some on Amazon. Do I just cut those into the door with a regular door drill cutter? I have one of those circular still attachments.

pdxpfeifer

I am assuming the 5/8" dead bolt will fit? I'm not sure how to measure it for determine 5/8 or 1" for the deadbolt.

Clipper Joe

Hello,

5/8" Is The Shaft Travel Into Door Frame. Remember To Allow For Lock Set-Back 2 1/4"-2 1/2" What Ever You Use To Drill In Door.
You May Want To Shop E-Bay Or RV Parts Houses For Best Pricing. You May Want To Get A Schlage Brand. Good Secure Dead Lock Set.

Good Luck,
Joe
ACOC#3749