News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

small block or big block ?

Started by jerryjneill, December 10, 2014, 11:20:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jerryjneill

Hi I have a 78 amcl. The engine isn't running ..im not getting spark I want to buy parts for it and make sure the firing order is right but I dont know what size engine i have ...is there a way to tell by looking at the engine to what size it is? ..big block or small block ? I've been told its a 360, 400 and even the 440 no one seems to know what size it is  >:(

Toedtoes

Hi and welcome!

As long as the engine is original, you can check the VIN:  http://www.vintage-vans.com/dodge_vin.html (4th digit identifies the engine size).  It should be either a 360 (2bbl only) or a 440.

No spark eh?  Ah yes, I know that one well.  My 360 was failing to spark intermittently.  We replaced the ignition module and the coil (which was definitely bad) and things were good for a couple months.  Then it failed big time (had to have it towed from a rally).  Tried bypassing the resistor but it still wouldn't start.  Took it to the mechanic's and when they went to bring it in, it wouldn't start.  He saw a small part that was bad (can't remember what off-hand, but it had absolutely nothing to do with the spark) and replaced it while he was there.  All of a sudden it was getting a spark.  For 3 months, it started up every time without fail.  The mechanic couldn't reproduce the problem under any situation.  We ended up replacing the distributor since it was the only part left in question and rebuilding the carburetor.  Knock on wood, so far this has resolved the starting issues.  I wish you luck.
'75 American Clipper Dodge 360 821F; ACOC #3754

jerryjneill

I've replaced the ignition switch, plugs, wires, cap & rotor, voltage regulater ...tomorrow its going to be the magnetic pickup & and the coil ...I hope I didnt buy a junker

Toedtoes

I don't suspect it's a junker (they really were built well).  But, at 35 to 40 years old, parts wear out.  In addition, as with most RVs, the few years before someone decides to sell, the RV is fairly neglected.  That's a few years where regular maintenance wasn't done.

So, as new owners, we just need to play catch up on the things that got missed, and replace those parts that have worn out. 

Speaking of wearing out, be sure to check your fuel lines for leaking.  After 35+ years, the rubber deteriorates.  They did a smoke test on mine to find the leak (we could see the fuel on the ground) -the smoke was pouring out of every inch of hose.

jerryjneill

the fuel line was just replaced, the previous owner told me before he parked it he would go out and start it 3 times a monthand one day it just quit starting so he replace the fuel line thinking it was either fuel or sparkafter that it still wouldn't starthe is not mechanically inclined so he just gave up and that's when I bought it from him now I'm replacing everything that has to do with the electrical system

jerryjneill

Thank you for your advice by the way ....this is my first motor home I'm trying to get it fixed because I'm planning on driving it from Utah to Illinois

Clipper Joe

Hi Jerry,
If You Look On Block Under Clipper By Oil Pan There Is A Stamp.
Is Your Clipper A Dodge Or Chevy?
If It's A Dodge On That Year 1978 Its Probably A 440-1 Or 440-3 Big Block. Most Clipper Of Your Year Was A 440 If Dodge Was Used.

The 360 Cu. In. We're Used In 1974-1976 As I Have Recalled.
There Are A Few Photos On Web Site Of Clipper Owners.
Try & Join National ACOC & Web Master Can Get You Accessible To Those Threads.

Toedtoes Was Spot On She Has Had Some Of The Problem You Have Had. She Has Been Able To Work Through These Bugs.
These Clippers Are Getting Up In Age.
You Just Have To Keep On Plugging In There, They Are Still A Great RV.
I Have Put A lot Of Time & Money In My Clipper. I Have Had To Work Through Some Insures, Ecessive Heat & Some Fuel Vapor Locking, But I Think These Problems Have Been Resolved. Also Make Sure You Check Your Braking System, These Rigs Have A lot Of Weight Going Down The Road 10,000 + Lbs.
So Welcome & Feel Free To Ask Any More Questions You May Have,
Good Luck,
Joe ;)
1977 Dodge 440  Rear Kitchen
Note: Clipper Sold: (Miss It)
ACOC#3749
Now Own 2002 Class A Diesel Pusher

jerryjneill

Yes thank you I found it is a 440-4 ...I've got it running now I just have get it timed right

Toedtoes

Good luck on the timing!  When my mechanic decided to get my timing "just perfect", we ended up having to do work on the choke (replacing parts) and rebuilding the carburetor.  It was an expensive timing...  ::)

But, it has made a huge difference so it was definitely well worth it.