News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Last Camping Trip

Started by Clipper Joe, September 13, 2014, 10:33:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clipper Joe

Hi All,
1.)
I Wanted To Share A Few Big Problems, I Ran Into On The Last Outing I Took Up To The High Sierras.
Well Trip Started Nicely, Then After A Few Hours, Heat Came Up, Then Some Vapor Lock I Think, While Climbing Mountain 2 Lane Road, Clipper Was Having Trouble Climbing Do To Fuel Issues.
Then He Stalled I Had No Way To Pull Over, So I Just Coast To As Close To The Side Of The Road. Lucky A Good Fellow In A Big Ford 4x4, He Had A Chain In The Back Of His Truck, We Hooked Up To Front Of Clipper & He Was Able To Pull Me To A Turn Out About 1000 Feet From Where Clipper Stopped. What A Nice Guy> Thanks To Him, With Those Big Logging Trucks Flying Around Those Mountain Roads, Could Have Been Very Bad, If He Hit The Rear Of Fishing Boat & My Sweet Clipper.
That Was Very Scary. :'( I Know Others Have Had There Clipper, Just Stop, Huh? They Are So Big They Say I'm Going To Rest Here.

2.)
Now This Was After I Let Wilson Rest A Bit, He Had His Rest, Cooled Down, & Said Okay Lets Climb That Windy Mountain Road In Heat Again.
I Was About 30 Miles To Camp Site. Them I Started On A Down Grade, Put On Brake, The Right Front Brake Was Doing Weary Thinks, I Think Caliber Was Starting To Fail. :(
Then Pushed Brakes A Few Times, The Right Wheel Was Dragging & Smelled Brake Lining.
Then Felt Very Little Front Brakes, It Was Pulling Toward The Right Side Of The Road. And Had Very Little Control. So I Found Another Turn-Out, & Checked The Problem.
Right Wheel Was Quite Hot, So I Know There Was Something Going On In The Caliber & Brake Pads.
I Was About 20 Miles To Camp Area By Now.
It Was The Time To Make The Decision, To Either Stay There On The Side Of The Road For The Night,Or Try To Take It Slow & See Of I Could Continue Safely.
That Was A Hard Decision, Looking Back It Was Bad. I Took It Real Slow, & Got To Camp Site. I Know Someone Was Looking Down On Me.
But One Thing, I Was Able To Make It Because These Clippers Were Really Built Well, I Feel That Wilson, Wanted Me Safe, I Did Really Work My 440 Engine & Transmission. We Made It.
Will Post The Fix Once I Got Up The Next Day.

That's Other Story & Another Post.
You Will Fine This Interesting.

Joe     

1977 Dodge 440  Rear Kitchen
Note: Clipper Sold: (Miss It)
ACOC#3749
Now Own 2002 Class A Diesel Pusher