News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Newbie in Wisconsin

Started by Serenity, August 20, 2014, 12:38:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Serenity

It might be a little early to announce my new Clipper Baby.

Yes, I do own it and specialized vanity plates are coming in the mail.  I have yet to go pick it up from its long-term storage out of state.  I know the previous owner very well, so buying sight-unseen was okay by me.  I do know of a couple peculiarities.  Firstly, it has a 460 engine, not a 440.  As the story goes:  they ran out of engines at that time (1979) and took what was available to keep product going out the door.  That's the story.  I have not had my head under the bonnet to see first hand.

As I understand it, I purchased a 21' model.  And, the very first thing you run into as you enter the rear door is the bathroom.  So, I would presume that this means my unit is NOT a "rear kitchen" model.  The kitchen is a little further to the right a few feet. 

Problems I will have to deal with:  1) gas tank leaks when topped;  2) plug wires melt when touching the exhaust manifold; and the black water tank is full and has not been emptied in years (thankyouverymuch);  and of course, 3) gas mileage sucks!

Oh... and joyous news.  I have a mixture of tires.  I am sure everyone here is well versed in the whole 16.5" tire phase-out fiasco.  Anyway, two of them (I presume the front two) are on new wheels.  I think they are brand new 16" tires.  The five remaining are still the old 16.5" wheels with brand new tires on them.  I have not checked the load ratings or brand yet and may indeed have a minor nightmare on my hands right away.  This looks to be a bit of a discovery project.  <sigh>

I have read the memos regarding the hazards with hitches.  Mine has a hitch and a homemade wood box on it.  I will have the box removed "immediately" and will have that whole operation checked once the rig is where I can work on it.  I would presume that this being a 21' model, the hitch is connected right to the frame... but, only a good inspection will do here!!

I sent in my $30 a month ago and now see that the checks have been forwarded to the national treasurer.  Cool.  Glad to be a member of the group!!

I would like to mail in a payment to receive the stack of back issues.  Can someone direct me to how that works?  I am leaving tomorrow to be out of the country for three weeks, so would love to have this back issue thing working while I am gone.

Oh, the name?  "Serenity"... and those plates?  S3RN1TY

Best Wishes,

Garrett
1979 Clipper (21') with a 440 CI engine, Arbor Vitae, Wisconsin... or more likely, on the road!!

Toedtoes

Welcome and congratulations!!!

I hadn't read of an engine shortage.  There was a Dodge chassis shortage in 1977 and they started using Chevy and continued to use both Dodge and Chevy from 78 forward.  Next time we're with the supply officer, we'll ask him about it - he may remember.

It sounds like you have the side kitchen (http://www.americanclipperownersclub.com/floorplans.htm) version.  It is a 21ft.

Since you know you have a gas leak issue, I would do a smoke test right off the bat.  That will save you a lot of time thinking you fixed the leak only to find another... been there, done that - annoying.  Don't even look at your gas mileage until you know you've got all the leaks fixed.  Most folks are getting at least 7.5mpg with their clippers with mixed driving (some hills, some flat, nothing extreme).  Some are hitting closer to 10mpg most of the time.  Which really isn't that bad for RVs.

Clipper Joe will be on to offer suggestions on the heat issue.  He's been working hard on that with his Wilson.

The tires are a pain.  I just kept mine at the 16.5 size.  Joe changed all his to 16, so if you want to do that, he can offer advice there also. :)

Even the 21ft clippers have hitches not attached to the frame - so definitely check it out before putting any weight on it at all.

As you have submitted your membership app, I've upgraded you to the National Club Member status.  You now have access to the member only Technical section.  Lots of great info there.

For the back issues (and parts), you'll need to complete a supply order form http://www.americanclipperownersclub.com/forms/merchandise.pdf and submit it with a check to the address on the form.  If you have received your member number from CanineCaravan, write it on the form.  If not, just add a note to Willetta that you are a new member and have not received your number yet.  She can add it to the form before it goes to the supply officer.

Serenity is a great name!  Firefly fan?  I'd do custom plates, but I have the clipper's original California blue & gold plates on mine (plates stay with the vehicle in California).  I love that!
'75 American Clipper Dodge 360 821F; ACOC #3754

Clipper Joe

Hello Garrett,

Welcome To The Best American Clipper Forum In Town, Glad You Are A Member :)

Will Have To Wait Till You Get Your Clipper, The Name You Picked Is Great.

Maybe I Can Help You With A Few Of Your Issues, You Stated Your New Clipper Has A 460, & There Were A Engine Shortage Huh :-\.  You Need To Look At Data Plate On Drivers Door, Also Look And See Data Info Under Hood, Should Give You The Info Needed. Is This A Chevy Chassis Or A Dodge Chassis? Most Of All Clippers Were To What I Have Been Told. Either Dodge Or Chevy.

Dodge Engines Had 360Ci - 440-1Ci Or 440-3 Ci ( Heavy Duty )
Chevy Engines Had  350Ci - 400Ci ( Mostly Used )

We Need You To Re-Check Info From Past Owner ??? A 460 Ci Engine Is A Ford
( Found On The Road Dead )  ;)

Now Tires Sizes; All Clippers Came With 16.5 There Are Few  Manufactures Left Making That Tire Size They Are Getting More Costly, Firestone Transforce HT 8.75R16.5 LT, Les Schwab Can Get Them, Remember You Need E Rated Tires (10 Ply ) Now Early Clippers Had 8.00 x16.5 & Newer Clippers Had 8.75x16.5 I Think They Were Bias Tires. There Are A Lot Of Posts On Site. I Have 225R 85x16 In Front & I Will Be Changing Rear Dual Wheels, When I Get Extra Cash For New Wheels & Tires.
Now The Thing Is Load Rating Per Tire, Most 16 Are 2450 Lbs Each. & Radial Tires. ;D
Some Clipper Owners Have Went To Larger Tires For Extra Load Cap. The Thing To Remember Is Clearance When Buying Tires, If You Have Bad Or Worn Shocks,Springs,Or Bad Rear Air Bags Can Give You Problems, When Rears Blow Out, They Can Do Some Wheel Well Damage, Also There Is A Steel LPG Propane Line There Also. So It Is A Important Item On A Clipper, Like Brakes.

Remember The ACOC Is Going To Put Out A Calendar For It's 40th B.D. Info Is On Web Site & Toedtoes Is Taking Care Of That Project. Also Other Clipper Owners, Get Your Clipper Photo's Time Is Running Out. ;)

Getting Late & Have To Go, Check Back When You Get Your Clipper ( ' Serenity ' ) ;)

Joe & Denise

1977 Dodge 440  Rear Kitchen
Note: Clipper Sold: (Miss It)
ACOC#3749
Now Own 2002 Class A Diesel Pusher

Serenity

Well, it looks like I will have to wait another month before I take possession of "Serenity."

I hired a good friend to go to Youngstown to pick up Serenity (1979, 21') and he bailed out after experiencing a rough idle.  So, that only set me back a grand!!  I will go out next month and do it myself.  I guess that is the *only* way to get things done sometimes. <sigh>

What we did learn:  yes, yes, yes, and YES... it is a 460 CI engine.  Everyone wants to argue against that, but sorry... nothing from a 440 fits this engine.  IF the parts counter guy can be persuaded to supply parts for a 460, it works splendidly well.  (i.e. thermostat and gasket, for one item)

Next?  Well, there seems to be electrons on the loose. Even with new plugs, wires, and distributor cap, just touching the area near the distributor nets a nasty shock.  So, my expensive guy slammed the hood shut and flew on back home. (thankyouverymuch)

Many lessons learned on this dry run... <sigh>
1979 Clipper (21') with a 440 CI engine, Arbor Vitae, Wisconsin... or more likely, on the road!!

Toedtoes

Sorry for the delay on getting your new clipper.   :(  But it will be that much more meaningful when you do get him...

The engines are a bit weird.  I have a 360, but when I tried getting certain parts (belts, resistor), the ones for the 360 didn't fit.  But, other things identified for the 360 fit perfectly.  Who knows why.

While the official word says that the Dodge chassis all had 440s in them, 1979 was at the heart of the huge Dodge problems.  That's why they started using Chevy chassis - because Dodge couldn't supply enough for production.  So, if the chassis were under-produced, it is quite possible that the engines were also and that "unofficial" switches were made.  But in the end, it makes Serenity unique!

Joe may have some ideas on those wandering electrons.

Clipper Joe

Well Hello Serenity,

Welcome & Sorry To Hear, You Are Having To Put Out So Much To Get Your Clipper Home :-\

I Sure Would Like To See Photo Of Your Motor.
Is It Possible Someone Has Installed That 460 CI
& What Type Of Transmission Is It.
Dodge & Clipper Factory Would Of Put A 440-1 Or 440-3 Engine With A Torqueflite 727 Transmission.
If In Indeed A Ford 460 May Be Coupled To A C 6 Transmision.

Can You List Vin# I Have A Break Down That May Shed Some Light On This.

You May Have The Most Rarest Clipper Out There.

I Would Surely Like To Run This By The Supply Officer Mel.

You Have Use Baffled & Amazed @ The Same Time.

Joe
ACOC#3749

Serenity

VIN is:

F34KD9V704821

Listed over to the right side of the "Front Section Pre-Delivery Service Inspection" sheet are two numbers hand written:

R4259   (there's a remote chance that the 5 is an S)

This "New Vehicle Preparation" sheet is on a pre-printed Dodge Trucks NCR paper form.

Toedtoes

Here is the VIN decoder information for the old Dodge trucks.  It confirms that the engine was originally a 440. I suspect the engine was changed aftermarket.

If you can find a serial number on the engine, you might be able to get some info from Ford on its manufacture.

Serenity

Well played, Sir!!

It may take me a while, but I will hunt down that serial number for the 460 CI engine.  Thank you!!!

My first order of business will be to wrangle the electrons into compliance!  Seems that they are having a party everywhere other than at the various plugs!  This is a huge issue when there is an electrical leak like this.  I will probably see if I can get a higher quality set of wires and simply get those replaced right away.  The ones in there now only have 2000 miles on them.  So... hard telling what is going wrong there.

Toedtoes

Oops sorry, meant to actually provide the link to the VIN decoder:  http://oldmopar.com/72-79DodgeTrucks/Info.html

Good luck on the wires - that's a scary bit with possible sparking in the engine around oil and gas...

Clipper Joe

Hi Garrett,
Sorry To Hear About Melted Plug Wires, Those Dog Houses Get Quite Hot.
I Have Been Working With Steve Fine.
On Reducing The Heat In Our Clippers, Have Redone Doghouse With DEI Industries 2000 Degree High Temp. Material. Also Used Dyanamat On
Floor Of Cab,& Put A Foil DEI Sound/ Heat Material Under Carpet.
Has  Worked Pretty Well.
I Have Also Added A 24" Hood Scoop To Cool Engine Also.

On Your Spark Plug Wires, You Want To Get Silicone Base High Temp Wire Set & Plug Boots.
Then Add About 12" DEI Heat Sleeves On Plug Ends, They Use This Set-Up On Racing Headers.

These Sleeves Are Rated @ 2,000 Degrees.400 Degree Direct Heat. You Will Not Have Any Problems For Years To Come. May Also Want To Use Silicone Vacuum Lines, Can Get Them @ Napa Auto Parts.

Joe
ACOC#3749

kenmel

Ken and Melissa, 1978 821 FIT, rear kitchen. ACOC #3805