News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

New Clipper couple in AZ!

Started by Morganaire, August 16, 2014, 08:39:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Morganaire

Hi all -

My wife Tammy and I just purchased a '77 rear kitchen model and are already in the process of getting road-ready.  Runs like a champ, but has a few issues to clear up just from sitting around most of it's life (61,000 miles on it).  Entry area and rear sub floor has a fair amount of rot (victim of a leaky roof vent), and last few feet have what seems to be a slight "droop" (apparently not that uncommon for these units given the frame construction.  Once we get the floor out and inspect it, it will be off to the welding shop for reinforcement and "fanny lift", and then new floors go in.  Lots of work to do, but we are excited.  We just finished a year of full-timing it in our 45' Teton 5th wheel, and are anxious to have an RV that we can actually hop in and use for FUN!

Checkbook in hand, will be joining the club ASAP to get access to all the great info you guys have here  ;)

Ken Morgan

Toedtoes

Welcome!  When you send out your membership application, send me a PM and I'll get you upgraded to the National Club Member status on the forum so you can access the members-only Technical Forum.

When you're reinforcing the back end, check out the hitch also (if it has one).  Many of the hitches were not properly installed (all aftermarket) and are not safe to tow anything or even hold a hitch cargo rack with 50lbs on it.  Since you're back there reinforcing the chassis, it's a good time to get the hitch reinforced at the same time.

The clipper will be a lot cozier than your 5th wheel. :)  But, I think you'll enjoy the versatility of it. 

If you haven't done so, it's a good idea to check the fuel lines and propane lines for leaks and the propane regulator before you take off in it.  If the fuel lines haven't been replaced, you can have pinhole leaks in them that affect your mileage, cause safety issues, etc.  The propane lines are less likely to leak, but if it does, it can be a problem, as well as a non-functional regulator.
'75 American Clipper Dodge 360 821F; ACOC #3754

Morganaire

Thanks for the welcome!  I'll be sending off our application on Monday, and look forward to our membership.

We definitely will take care of the hitch when the frame is worked over!  Our fabricator is one of the best I've seen and I know he's going to make the back bullet proof.  We are also planning to replace both the black and grey tanks, fresh water tank, propane tank and lines, all plumbing lines as well as all belts hoses and lines under the hood. After that, new appliances, tires, brakes, airbags and anything else that turns up during the rebuild.  It'll be a job, but we are excited to do it and are grateful to have this great resource!

Thanks again!

Ken

Toedtoes

Are you replacing everything just to "be safe" or are there actual problems with the tanks, etc.? 

The water storage tanks have held up very well on the clippers and I can't recall anyone who's had to replace them just due to age.  I think someone replaced one tank after he had a tire blowout and it damaged the tank.

Morganaire

We are replacing pretty much everything that could pose issues down the road since we will have a good portion of the coach pulled apart anyway.  We figure there's a good chance the motorhome will.get handed down to one of our kids in the next few years, and want to make sure that everything that might need to be replaced is done while it's relatively easy...and we can afford it easier than they can.   We've had issues with holding tanks in the past, and would much rather be proactive and go through it all now while they are dry and easy to get to  :D

Thanks,

Ken

Clipper Joe

Hi Ken & Tammy,
Welcome To Clipper World ;)

You Are Right, These Clippers Are Great RV & The ACOC Is A Great Place To Help You With Problems That Have Come Up Over Many Years Of Still Rollin Down The Highways & By Ways. ;D

When You Get Your Membership Updated By Our Super Web Master, You Will Be Amazed On The Info Past & Present. I Try To Upload Photos, Time Permitting. Sometimes It Is Easier To Look @ A Photo To See Whats Up.. ???

I Left You A PM On What You E-Mailed Me.

How Long Have You Owned Your Clipper?

Joe & Denise 
1977 Dodge 440  Rear Kitchen
Note: Clipper Sold: (Miss It)
ACOC#3749
Now Own 2002 Class A Diesel Pusher

Clipper Joe

Hi Ken,

Make Sure You Come Up With A Name For Your Clipper, For Luck ;D

You May Want To Think Of A Name, My Clipper Is Named; " Wilson "

Most Wives Call Them 'Money Pits'  :-*

Take Care & Again Welcome ;)

Joe & Denise
ACOC#3749

Morganaire

Hi Joe - thanks for the PM!  We've only owned the Clipper for a week, but we've already started the tear-down process.  Walking around it, it seems a bit overwhelming but we'll take it one step at a time.  Over all, it's in solid shape...but there are a number of things that need attention!  I'll feel better once the floor is done. It's a bit unnerving to pull out the original cabinetry and interior walls, but I'm sure when we are done it will be great.  So far we have the rear kitchen cabinetry out, and tomorrow we pull out the bathroom wall and the wall immediately to the right side of the fridge).  Looks like we need to pull all the flooring from the end of the chassis frame rails to the rear of the coach.  It'll be a fun project for my wife and I to tackle...with a little help from our two grown sons  ;D .  Wish us luck!

As for a name, we're pondering it.  Can't rush into something like that, but we are leaning toward "Tank"...after our late Chihuahua (he was little but had the heart of a lion  ;) )

Ken

Sfine

WOW!  What an undertaking...hats off to you! It will be like a new rig with all the guts replaced and upgraded. By the time your finished...well be asking YOU the questions.!! And what a great way to aquaint yourself with the way the Clippers were built, and how to repair them.  So nice to get to it all at once and know it's good to go.
And yes, fun too.   Our Clipper has become one of my hobbies, a labor of love for sure.

I like "Tank".  !     
Welcome Ken, I'm looking forward to watching your project as it unfolds, and of course the finale'.!
...curious...where in Arizona are you?
Safe travels
Steve
1979 440 Dodge 21' Bunk      #3766
     Murphys, California

Morganaire

Thanks Steve!

It's a bit daunting right now, but we've already jumped in with both feet.  Spent the day tearing things down - we have the rear sub-floor, kitchen cabinet, water heater, toilet, shower and a couple interior walls out.  Sub-floor definitely needed to be replaced.  No water damage in the support framing under the floor, but most of the nail/screws/staples had worked loose and need some attention.  Being a rear kitchen/bath, 90% of the water lines are now exposed, which will make replacing all of them pretty simple  :)  We should finish the tear-down tomorrow, and will be looking at a blank slate (or maybe just staring blankly, lol).

We are taking pictures as we go, and will work on putting them up.

Ken

Clipper Joe

Hi Ken,
I Agree With Steve Major Undertaking,
But When Finished, Will Be Great. ;D ;D

It's Great You Are Taking A Lot Of Photos, It Will Help Others, Who May Have Same Problem.
I Have Removed The Whole Kitchen Area, I Had A Good Sub Floor, I Removed All Those Small Draws, I Replace Frames That Held Old Draws, I Installed 4ea. 24" Slides, There Is A Cabinet Shop In Texas, That Made My Draws & Sells Draw Slides. Can Send You There Contact If You PM Your E-Mail,
I Went To Home Depot, To Get Top Counter Top, Had To Cut Off Back Splash & Resized.
Also, Install New 1/4 Turn Angle Water Supply Valves & Flex Hoses, New Low Profile Moen Kitchen Faucet.

On The Bathroom, Installed Corner Sink, Installed It Left Of Shower, & Relocated 2" Vent Pipe, To Give More Room In Bath Area.Used White Grained Plastic On Walls.

On The Under Carriage I Have Seen A Guy On His Clipper, He Added 1" X 8" Steel Plates From Rear Frame, Back To Cross Plate@ Hitch, He Cut 3 1/4" Hole For Waste Drain, Nice Super Strong & Only Used 3 ea. Plates Of Metal, When You Get Access To All Of Web Site There Are Some Support Drawing On Site, They Use A lot Of 2" Channel Iron Etc.

Hope You Are Able To Stop The Roof Leak, There Is Also, People Who Have Used Special Marine Sealant On Vents & Roof, I Have Always Used Dicor  Products, Self Leveling White.

Well Good Luck, Waiting On Seeing End Product.

Joe & Denise

ACOC#3749

Morganaire

Whew - lots of work done over the last couple days. Finished tearing out the rear sub-floor, and initially thought the framing under the floor was in good shape.  On closer inspection, half of it needed to be replaced due to water damage/dry rot.  When all was over, all of the framing is new as well as sections of the galvanized sheet (last thing before you hit the outside).  Unfortunately, the seller was less than honest with the "repairs" he had done to fix a roof leak.  We had to drive through an Arizona monsoon to get to the MVD today, and in the process discovered a number of bonus leaks that we didn't even have to pay for (eye roll).  So now, I have the rear ceiling out, and have started replacing the wood framing above the ceiling panels.  The prime culprit in the leak is a poorly installed vent, but there are numerous pinholes in the fiberglass roof-cap that are also allowing water in.  We have opted to fiberglass over the leaking roof vent/fan (it's the one right in the rear entry), and once that's done we will have the roof Rhino-lined.  Still taking pictures, so hopefully once we are done we can put a pictorial explanation of all we have done up.

As for the mechanics, I went to the local parts store and picked up new hoses, belts, spark plugs, ignition wires, distributor cap and rotor, pcv valve, and all of the filters.  Also got new tires all around (and discovered that upper and lower ball joints need to be replaced).

Yikes - when am I going to find time to mow the yard?  This is turning into quite a project!

Ken

Sfine

Wow, again!
And what could be possibly be mowing in ARIZONA !!?? Let the lawn go, the Clipper trumps all other work, besides the grass will just grow back anyway!!!
You have certainly attacked this full on, keep going, and please keep posting, and pics when you can.
Steve
1979 440 Dodge 21' Bunk      #3766
     Murphys, California

Toedtoes

I'd have a mechanic (preferably one who works on older vehicles a lot) relook at the ball joints.  The tire shops don't always understand the difference between a properly functioning 1975 ball joint and a properly functioning 2000+ ball joint.  When I replaced my tires, the tire shop said they needed to be replaced - my mechanic, my Dad (who worked on Dodge vehicles in the 70's for a living), and a second tire shop (where I now go to as my first choice) all said the ball joints are fine.

Morganaire

Thanks Toedtoes - good advice  :)  I took a look at the front end when they had it up on the lift, and the ball joints are definitely shot.  In fact, there was so much lateral play in the tires once it was off the ground that we initially thought that it was the wheel bearings!  Found a great guy here in town to do the work for me (I've already got so many projects I'm doing on the motor home  that I'm glad to have someone else take care of this one).

So far we have the rear floor framing done, insulation installed and the sub floor back in from the entry to the bathroom doorway.  Still working on re-plumbing everything, so can't put the bathroom sub floor back in.  The bathroom floor was slightly higher than the rest of the floor to accommodate the original water lines, and I'm re-routing them to allow for the floor to be all the same height.  We are also slightly widening the bathroom door (which will be changed to an accordion door),  and converting the shower into a shelving/storage area.  I pulled the aft ceiling panel down and completely re-worked the support framing (all of the wood around the fan/vent had been water damaged).  I added a bit of additional framing, and am pretty close to being able to insulate and put a new ceiling panel up.

It's been challenging so far, but I'm excited to get it done and on the road!

Ken