News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

One of the Basic Joys of Owning a Clipper

Started by Toedtoes, July 03, 2014, 08:41:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toedtoes

First - yep, I added a new board just so I had an appropriate place to post this.  ;D  But I think it will be a fun board to glow over our clippers.

Tonight I was perusing another RV forum (non-brand specific), and in the class C section, someone posted the question "How Long Have You Had Your Class C".  A few folks have responded with ownership of 1 to 15 years and RV age from about 5 to 15 years.  You know the ones with their 15 year old RVs were feeling pretty smug about their good luck...

I couldn't resist.  I responded with:

I've had mine just over 1 year now, but it was built (chassis and house) in 1975. That's 39 years and still going strong - thank you Irv Perch! I am planning on having it for another 39 years.

Those lightweights with their 15 year old rigs...  8)
'75 American Clipper Dodge 360 821F; ACOC #3754

Clipper Joe

Hi Toedtoes,

I'm Glad You Added This Thread, There Needs A Place To Brag Huh. ;), I Know ' Wilson ' Will Like This.

I Feel Like You, If Someone  Comes Up With $16,000.00 I May Sell Him, But I Would Only Use The Money To Buy Another Newer Clipper & Start A New Project.

I Second That Hats Off To Irv Perch  Who Is The Hall Of Famer In My Book.

Thanks Again For Doing Such A Good Job With This ACOC Web Site.

Joe

1977 Dodge 440  Rear Kitchen
Note: Clipper Sold: (Miss It)
ACOC#3749
Now Own 2002 Class A Diesel Pusher

Toedtoes

So, last night I posted some photos of the inside of my clipper on another RV forum.  Apparently, our oval portholes are EXTREMELY desirable!!  Folks really like the idea of those little windows to see out front when they've got their windshield covers on.

Just another brag-worthy benefit of owning a clipper. ;D

Sfine

Not to mention, they just too cool.  8) 8)
I couldn't resist..last week at the lake, I wondered if a Clipper could float, you know, fiberglass body, porthole windows and all, it resembles a boat in some ways.
So I slowly proceeded down the launch ramp until the front tires got half way submerged, made sure my holding tanks were full of air, closed up the vents...and continued into the water.  About the time water started coming in below the door, I felt the tires begin to float off the bottom of the ramp so I punched it and it splashed in and skimmed across the water like a Swan. As long as I kept the gas on we went forward ...!... Steering was tricky, but slow execution could be obtained with practice...if you went too fast, water would bubble up over the front hood.
We turned around the 5 MPH buoy, and drove out as easily as we launched, without a trailer!  After that we decided to try to ski, it had plenty power to pull us and pulled us all over the lake that day.......much like I've been pulling your leg with this crazy made up story. Hope you were amused.
Although they don't float....they may fly....I'll have to put it to the test. :-\
1979 440 Dodge 21' Bunk      #3766
     Murphys, California

Toedtoes

They DO fly!!!  In the Made for TV movie Beyond Witch Mountain, Eddie Albert drove an American Clipper to save Tia and Tony.  I believe the clipper flew (I know the RV flew in the original 1975 movie).  The movie was made in 1982, so the clippers had ceased production but were still fairly new. :) 

Clipper Joe

Hey Steve,
Started Reading Your Post & Thought, I Hope He Did Not Try & Float That Clipper 10,000Lbs +

Then You Pulled My Leg, That Was Funny :D ;D, If You Can Get Your Clipper In The Air & Fly, I'll Get Other Clipper Members To Buy You A New 2014 Tesla Model S.

Again, Please " Clipper Owners " These Great RV's Are Super, They Do Not Float, As The Saying Goes >> So Do Not Try This @ Home :(

That Was Good Steve,
Joe
1977 Dodge 440  Rear Kitchen
Note: Clipper Sold: (Miss It)
ACOC#3749
Now Own 2002 Class A Diesel Pusher

Sfine

And fly it did.....in witch Mt., but alas it was a S.O.B.   Winnebago to be exact...big green "W" on the side.
I only know that because I just googled it....wanted to see a clipper fly of course!!!
Good call Toes....if a Winnebago could, surely a Clipper would soar.
I'll not try that one. :o
1979 440 Dodge 21' Bunk      #3766
     Murphys, California

Toedtoes

Actually.  In the ORIGINAL movie Escape From Witch Mountain (1975), it was a Winnebago.

But in 1982, they made a Disney Made for TV movie (they were going to turn it into a series) called Beyond Witch Mountain and Eddie Arnold drove an American Clipper!!  It was a 21ft - but not sure if it was a rear kitchen or side kitchen.