News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

Fresh water tank gauge

Started by Maverick, October 07, 2013, 02:41:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maverick

Hello everyone, we have a 1977 Clipper ( 440 rear kitchen) that we are going through to get up to par again, I have taken apart the sitting area that the fresh water tank is located in. Now, the gauge for the tank above the fridge doesn't move when I fill the tank and I can't see anyway to get into the tank to check it, am I missing something or is this just not serviceable? On the side of the tank, below where the 2 wires on top are, there are these studs ( I'm assuming part of the level mechanism) that run 2 by 2 down to the bottom, anyway to test this to see if it is working and maybe it's the gauge? Thanks everyone, Roger.  Sorry, I tried to load some pics but they keep saying they are too large and I don't know how to make them smaller.

Clipper Joe

Hi Roger,
By The Way Welcome To ACOC, It Was A Good Idea To Post Photo, It Does Help On Looking At The Object First Hand. It Has Been Awhile Since I Have Had My Cover Off Our 1977 Clipper.

I Hope I May Be Able To Give You A Little Inside, Most Level Controls Work Off 2 Rods  High Level & Low Level, They May Also Work On A Grounding Principle, When Water Hits Top Rod Or Probe It Closes, & Gauge Reads H Level, Then When Lower Rod Or Probe is Off Probe It Reads L Level.
In some Cases You May Have To Have Water On Low Probe & None On Top Probe.

Hope This Helps, I Would Like To Get The Wire Diagram From ACOC Parts, Then I Will See How They Set These Clippers Up.

Looking At Photos You Posted, There Are 2 Hex Nuts With A Wire In Middle, Make Sure You Put A Small Amount Of WD-40 Or Bolt Loosener On Threads, Remove  Outer Nut Carefully, Clean Any Oxidation off Wire Eye & Nuts. Then Try It With & With Out Fresh Water In Tank.

There May Have Junk On Probes Them Self, They Should Be Made Of Stainless Steel, 1/4" Or 5/16"
Rods. You Have To Remove From Tank. There Is A Rubber Gasket @ Tank Surface, Make Sure You Can Save It If Possible, For Sample If You Have To Go To Hardware Store For New Ones.

To Clean Probes or Rods, Use Fine Sand Paper Or Brass Wire Brush. Then Try Water In Tank Again.
& Hope This Helps Problem... :) 

Roger, My Old 1973 Tioga RV Did Not Have Level Sensors, I Just Kept Track Of My Water Usage.

That Is Why These Clippers Are So Great, They Have So Much To Offer Us  That Are Blessed To Own One..... :D

Hope This Helps, & May Be Others In Clipper Nation Who Has Had Same Problem My Post What They Have Done To Solve It.  I Know I Try To Read A lot of Old Posts.

Joe
1977 Dodge 440  Rear Kitchen
Note: Clipper Sold: (Miss It)
ACOC#3749
Now Own 2002 Class A Diesel Pusher

Maverick

Hey Joe, thank you for the welcome :D, I can't seem to find an access to the inside of this tank anywhere ( I haven't pulled it completely out yet, but would think there would be on on top) I will be taking it out all the way here to completely clean it soon, I will post what I find out to help others who may have this problem.

I know I am going to have a lot more questions as our quest to get this Clipper back to its former glory continues, I don't really see a lot of activity on the forum though, hope maybe some more people check in. I have been searching as many old posts as I can to find info before asking a question that may have allready been answered. Thanks again Joe, Roger.

Sfine

Hey Roger !
Don't think for a moment that your posts go unread or unappreciated. Even though some of us may not respond (because we probably don't have the info to share) and if most of the other readers are anything like me, we are absorbing all we can.! It's all great information that I refere to constantly and am always rewarded with the answers I am usually searching for.
If we just ask, "someone" will always answer.
So, please don't stop posting !!! I'd be in a world of hurt....everyone's posts are priceless . Thanks to all.
Roll on...
Steve
1979 440 Dodge 21' Bunk      #3766
     Murphys, California

Maverick

Thanks Steve, I will definetly keep posting, I have a lot of questions, but I'm not to fixing those parts of the Clipper yet :D. I appreciate your response! Roger.

Clipper Joe

Hi Roger,
How Did You Make Out On Fresh Water Tank?

I Don"t Remember, If I Told You, I Think With Out Seeing Your Tank. That If You Remove Those Nuts On Probes You May Be Able To Remove Them From Tank To Clean.

You Have To Do This Process Carefully, Use WD-40 On Threads & Try To Save Rubber Gasket If Possible.

Now One Other Thing If You Close The Contact By Connecting One Wire To Other Or Closing Circuit, Then Check Display Gauge It Should Read Full Or Empty,,

Hope This Helps,

Joe
ACOC#3749

Maverick

Hey Joe, I haven't had time to pull the tank fully out yet ( everyday life has got in the way a bit), I will try crossing the 2 connections to see if that moves the gauge, when I get the tank out I will take some more pics to show what I find. thanks again for the response, I appreciate it! Roger.

Maverick

Ok, got under the RV and found the Negative ground wire had broke, fixed it and it started to read, filled it up all the way and finally figured out what the "adjustment screw" was for in the panel that shows the levels for the Batery and water, adjusted the gauge to full after tank was filled and seems to work now. Now I just have to fill the Grey water and Black water tanks to see if the full lights work for those. Thanks for the help. Roger.

Clipper Joe

Hey Roger,
That's Great You Found, that There Was Just A Bad Neg. Ground Wire Broken... :(

That Is Why We Need To Have A Section On Forum,
For This Type of Problems, That Come Up From Time..
Our Clippers Are Getting Up On Age.

Read The Outline That Toedtoes Has Made Up To Present To Powers To Be  @ National Rally This Weekend.
It Will be A lot Easier To Get Info Like The Problem You Were Able To Solve...

Joe 
ACOC#3749