News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

need help

Started by chingaman2001, June 24, 2013, 09:30:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chingaman2001

i'm a new owner of 78 clipper with a 440 i'm looking for tail lights for it plus having some issues with generator starts but only runs when i'm holding chock on can any of you help me out

Toedtoes

Panel Pete posted this in the tech forum:

Howdy all, thought that I'd post my findings on this topic.

I came across a direct replacement for our factory style rear tail light assemblies, they are made by Grote Industries. The manufacturers part number is 51342-5 and are identical to the factory installed Monarch brand tail lights! You can check them out the manufacturers site here:  http://www.grote.com/product.php?product_number=51342-5&x=10&y=14  or at the retailer I found them through here: http://www.anyrvparts.com/ProductDetail.asp?PID=12424&SID=49&DID=79&CID=190&BID= . I hope this helps some one out down the road.

Pete

Hope it helps.
'75 American Clipper Dodge 360 821F; ACOC #3754

chingaman2001

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!

NOW NEED GENERATOR INFO

Clipper Joe

Hello,
Read your post, the tail lights from Grote are great I have a set on our 1977 Dodge.

Chingaman, what make & Model is your Generator?

I have a Generac mc-35 on our Clipper.
I have the manuals.
Let me know, Also if its a Generac, there is a safety fuel shut off solenoid that is before fuel pump.
Also it has a float switch in oil recovery make up tank.

Hope this helps,
Joe
1977 Dodge 440  Rear Kitchen
Note: Clipper Sold: (Miss It)
ACOC#3749
Now Own 2002 Class A Diesel Pusher

chingaman2001

onan 4.0 rv genset s starts with choke on but when let go of choke it stalls

Clipper Joe

Hello Chingaman,

I Think By Reading Info On Onan Early Gen Sets 198x You May Have A Hard Time Finding Parts. The Carburetor May Be The Problem, Or Lack Of Fuel Getting To Unit.

I Know That Those Units Are Now Being Serviced By Cummins. You May Want To Contact There Service Dept. And Explain Your Problem.
They Have Some Really Nice Generators On the Market Today, But The Cost Is Almost The Price Of A Used Clipper. I would Find A Good Tech

To Repair Your Unit,  :D  In Calif. There Are A lot Of Generator Repair Shops. The Old Owner Of My Amer. Clipper Had A new Control Board Replaced & Serviced My Generator In The Past.

Those Units Were Good Back In The Day They Came Out. Honda Was Also Good, Most Old RV's Used Generac.

You Can Also Look On www.rvforum.com, A website With Many Other RV Owners a lot Of Old Info.

Hope This Helps, :)
Joe
ACOC#3749

caninecaravan

Taillights are also available through the club by way of the supply officer. if you are a a member you can use the order form, send the check to Willetta Maloy and the lights will come to you. CanineCaravan
canine caravan ACOC #3552

Clipper Joe

Hi Chingaman,
I just saw a listing on East bay Calif. Craig's List.
They have a complete Onan 4.0 Gen-set For sale.
You may want to check it out, may get some parts to make your unit operational again...

Joe
ACOC#3749

Panel Pete

Quote from: Clipper Joe on July 09, 2013, 10:39:59 PM
Hi Chingaman,
I just saw a listing on East bay Calif. Craig's List.
They have a complete Onan 4.0 Gen-set For sale.
You may want to check it out, may get some parts to make your unit operational again...

Joe

Hey Joe,

Is this the one - add says it came out of a clipper! http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/tls/3920551647.html
440 powered 77' Clipper, model 821FC

Nothing is fool proof to a talented fool.......

Clipper Joe

Hi Pete,

Thanks for reply & Link, That Is The One, That's A Good Price, Maybe Able To Get It A little Cheaper, If Not Sold Yet.
If I Had A Onan  It Would Be Good For Parts Or Spare.

How Are You Doing On Your Clipper? I Have Been Painting My Stripes Around Coach & I'm Going To Install New Front & Back Bilstien Gas 9000 Lb. Rated Shocks. Its A Shame My Old Ones Have About 100 Miles On Them So I May Cell Them On E-Bay They Are Monroe Magnums..

How re Your Shocks?

I Also Have A Dometic Orig. Clipper Fridge RM-66E For Parts It Has Good Knobs, & Door & Shelves..

Take Care
Joe
ACOC#3749

Panel Pete

Joe,

I haven't done much on my Clipper since finishing  the installation of the two new roof vents, I am however considering repainting the cab and cab stripes using the budget method mentioned elsewhere on the forum as the paint on the cab of my Clipper is shot. As far as I can tell the shocks are in good shape, but I've only had my coach on the road maybe 6 times since I've owned her. I do need to check out my fridge thoroughly as it isn't working, this might just be my next project on the old girl.

Pete
440 powered 77' Clipper, model 821FC

Nothing is fool proof to a talented fool.......

bulldog 1995

had that problem on a buddys motorhome and on a boat. the motor would run as long as you held the key (or pressed the switch) turned out to be a blown fuse! go to your gen-set and chect the fuses and you will probably find one is bad.
77 821 FCIT Dodge 440 w/less then 30,000 miles

Clipper Joe

Hi Pete,
I know what you mean, I just seems I have less time since I Retired,
The Days fly by.

I'm in Processing in doing the Stripes & Cab Painting.
I'll E-Mail you on the Spray Colors I found,
I got Cab white in Spray Cans, great Match, Also Brown & Orange Colors Stripe, in Spray Cans Also.
Used 1/4" Striping Tape & 3/4" Frog Yellow Tape Made Crisped lines, Scuffed Tape no Bleed through.
Looks Nice.

I got just a few things to do before before Aug. Fishing Vacation.
Seems I'll fine more after a long Trip.
Got to let this Clipper ( Wilson ) Spread His Wings..

Take Care & Thanks for Reply,

Joe
ACOC#3749