News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Gas tank replacement - 1975 Clipper

Started by Horst, May 08, 2013, 09:10:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Horst

Hi Gang,
Been out of the loop somewhat - haven't been able to take the Clipper out in a while  :(
I need to replace my 36 gallon stock polyethylene gas tank....it's cracked....again. I have replaced this twice before in in the last 15 years, with the same tank, which I was lucky enough to find at a wrecking yard........but alas.....those days are over. Besides, even if I find one, the tank will be dang near 40 years old, and ready to crack again anyways (all plastic gas tanks get brittle with age).

So I'm looking for suggestions, ideas, etc. Anyone replace their gas tank recently, particularly those of you with the 36 gallon poly tank (most of you with 75 or 76 Clippers with the 360 engine).

I found this one:
http://www.nwmp.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=64:van-lwb-a-swb-not-for-fuel-injection-a-class-c-motorhomes-1969-1993&catid=8:dodge&Itemid=19

a company in Oregon, and I'm having them send me some specs for this tank.

Anyone know of another source for new tanks, or of a 25 to 35 gallon tank that will fit easily that I might find in a wrecking yard?
Thanks.
Horst
Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.

Toedtoes

I just got off the phone with my mechanic.  He's working on my fuel leak issues.  During our conversation (may have a crack in my original poly tank - front), he mentioned that he has a guy local (Sacramento) who can manufacture any tank needed.  Metal.

My mechanic info is:  Overstreet Auto, 916-921-9409.  The owner's name is Gerald.  If you give him a call, he will get you in touch with his guy (Mike, I believe).  Just tell him you're from the American Clipper Owner's Club and were directed to him by Elizabeth. 

P.S.  He's dropping my aftermarket rear tank to replace all the fuel lines and check for any damage to it.  While it's dropped, he's going to look at my front tank to get an idea of what we may have to do.  But we're not dropping the front tank now, I'll run off the rear for a while - just so I don't get stuck with a dropped cracked front tank and no money to replace it. :)
'75 American Clipper Dodge 360 821F; ACOC #3754

Horst

Thanks very much ToedToes (Elizabeth?).
I may just do that.
Keep me posted on what happens to your poly tank.
I'm considering doing the "welding" trick as a last ditch attempt to fix mine (using a soldering iron to carefully melt and reseal the hairline crack I have.......quite a few youtube videos on this technique.
The issue for us is polyethlene is NOT very friendly (at all) when is comes to taking on various glues and sealants.......very rarely lasts more than a few weeks, if that.
Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.

Toedtoes

Will do.  Good luck on yours.  I've been really happy with Overstreet Auto - they are honest and the work is quality.  I definitely trust their recommendations. 

I am glad I have the two tanks - it gives me a little maneuvering room on repairs.  With the rear tank being dealt with now, I'll be able to save some money before having to deal with the front poly tank.  I suspect I'm just going to replace it with a new metal one rather than trying any interim repairs. Since I can't do the work myself, it's just going to be a lot of money paying for the same labor over and over. And with a new metal tank, I should have another 40 years plus to drive my baby around.  ;D
'75 American Clipper Dodge 360 821F; ACOC #3754

caninecaravan

There is a guy in Stockton who replaced my plastic 36 gal with a 46 gallon metal one including the dropping and installing for a reasonable price. His name is George Anderson and his phone number is (209) 401-6499. He does ALL of my engine work and he keeps it running in top shape. Just redid all of the manifolds, carb, plugs and wires and other stuff. He knows what he is doing. I have sent other clipper owners to him in the area for work and a few others who have older engines and cars that need work. Give him a call and tell him the "Rabbi" said to call. Tell him what you have and what you need. The only thing was he couldn't find a reasonable sending unit, so I have the 36 gallon unit in there. Just means when the gauge says empty, I have 10 gallons and about 70 miles to find a watering hole. CanineCaravan
canine caravan ACOC #3552