News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

miles of smiles

Started by vagabond, May 04, 2013, 03:50:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vagabond

I am so glad to see activity here. I have been waiting and Lurking for over a year. To see if this site would shake off its troubles. It seems so. Congrats.
  I have a 76 rear kitchen Dodge 440. I'm in Lebanon, Or. Got the rig just over a year ago. Its straight, in great shape. Just
some moss. Everythings there. But has to have wiring connectors replaced before running. And plumbing leaks. I'm a full timer. so make repairs when weather permits. But as I am an old bachelor, my needs are simple. And I am very impressed with these classic rigs. I look forward to a long association with you and yours.
Till next time.
                        Jl Anderson (Old Vagabond)

Toedtoes

Hi Vagabond!  Great to hear from someone else - as a new Clipper owner, I'm eager to learn as much as possible about what folks are doing to keep their Clippers in tip top shape.  I told my mechanic that I expect him to keep mine running for at least 200,000 miles (at 69,000 now).
'75 American Clipper Dodge 360 821F; ACOC #3754

kenmel

It is great that people are using the site again ;D I thought I was alone there for a few weeks ;) but then people started drifting back in.  this place is full of great info and people it seems and I am also glad to see more activity. You guys got any pics of your Clippers?? Where is everyone from? I think I am the only person in Arkansas lol but now there is a Clipper for sale less than 2 miles away that just appeared one day so who knows.

bulldog 1995

welcome to the "dark side"  ;D  I live up in the Seattle area. weather has been real nice lately up here. Like you I live full time in my Clipper. it's held up very well only needed a few things done for upkeep in the last 2 years
77 821 FCIT Dodge 440 w/less then 30,000 miles

caninecaravan

If you join the National ACOC we can keep track of where you are and put you in touch with other clipper owners in your area. If you don't join we have no way of knowing where you are at. There are clipper owners all across the country. Most of the owners are here in California, since this is where Irv Perch built them. There is an owner in Wrangell, AK which would be your nearest. We know of other owners in Oregon since we did have a joint national rally with them some time back. You can send a $30 check to ACOC Membership c/o Jan and Larry Friedman, 2853 Smoke Tree Circle, Stockton, Ca. 95209. We are the National membership chairs. We will issue you a number which allows you to but some of the things that you need for your clipper. Hope to hear from you soon. CanineCaravan
canine caravan ACOC #3552

kenmel

I will join but it will have to be by some way other than checks, caninecaravan. I don't use them, so it would have to be to a paypal account or postal money order. Just let me know if this is possible :) Thanks Ken

Toedtoes

Hi Kenmel, that's what I did - sent a money order. As they don't have a form that can be completed on the computer, I doubt they have paypal. Remember, our clippers were built before Gore invented the internet. :)

kenmel

Well, Sent in a money order shortly after my last post in 13 never got a packet, never heard anything back, came back here a month or so later and every post I had made but this and one other had been deleted and my name and password no longer worked. I sent a PM about my membership, never heard back  and finally gave up. But now I am back again. I still have my Clipper, I need to replace a few wires on the ignition to the starter but otherwise still in great shape. Hope everyone is doing well. Ken
Ken and Melissa, 1978 821 FIT, rear kitchen. ACOC #3805

Toedtoes

Hi Kenmel,

We had some issues with the prior membership person.  We now have a new person handling that stuff.  You can contact her at kathyguerrera at yahoo dot com.  The more details you can provide her, the easier she can find your info and get you back on track.

As for the website, we  recently had a cleanup and wiped out all registrations that have not accessed the website in more than one year.  It should not have  wiped out any posts you made before, but back in 2014, we did some updates to the forum that would better prevent spam attacks and to better control club member only data (prior to that everything was open to anyone but you had to wait several weeks to be able to post - now you can register and post immediately, but don't have access to everything until your club membership is confirmed).

As for ignition wiring, are you having starting issues?  I went through a year of intermittent starting issues (no spark was at the base of all the issues).  After replacing coils, resistors, distributor, etc., my boss bypassed the entire Mopar ignition system and wired in a GM ignition module - haven't had any issues since and it was easy to do.

kenmel

whatever the stupid thing is called on the drivers side firewall melted down and burnt 2 wires all the way down to the starter and even melted the main engine wire connector. I was going to replace it too but they aren't available anywhere I have found. I have the new part and wire to do it but my hands and arms are to big to fit. I have a guy that is going to come and tow it to his shop put it on his big lift and  replace all of the stuff and then is going to tow it back to me for 300 bucks lol.  It has been over 2 years since I sent in my dues, I am not sure where the receipt and everything is. My stuff was erased the first time of the update and all of a sudden I could no longer access the stuff I was. The forum was dead when I found it and started posting on it, it just kind of irked me on top of the not ever getting any kind of member stuff so I just walked away for a wile so I didn't say something I would regret lol. Ken

Toedtoes

Let Kathy know what you can remember - any dates, etc.  The club knows there were issues with memberships during that time so they will likely give you some leeway.  I can provide information available from the forum also.  I know that time period was very stressful (I was a new member then and going through the same stuff you went through).  I will go through here this weekend and find posts referring to your membership - I know there were are couple at least.  I'll provide that info to Kathy as soon as I find it.

As for your posts disappearing, I suspect you had posted in the technical section.  That section was never meant to be available to non-club members.  Over the years, the way people use the internet exploded and what was a place for club members to discuss online became a repository of technical knowledge for folks to come along and take their fill.  We'd have 20+ visitors at a time going through the technical forums and utilizing all the club's knowledge, but none would join the club or otherwise share/participate/pay it forward.  The update was simply to bring that back down and stress the importance of the national club - without it,  this knowledge wouldn't be available at all.  Once we get your membership back on track, you'll have full access to all that. 

That stupid thing should be the ignition module or the resistor (the ignition module has the 5-prong plug; the resistor has 2 or 4 connectors).  Do you know why you had the meltdown? 

The wiring harness is no longer made.  The only way to get it is to pull it off of an old van and that puts you exactly where you are - no idea if or where there are any wiring damage.  If you're interested in the GM wiring, let me know.  I can PM you the link to the instructions.

kenmel

It is the module (just couldn't remember what the durn thing was called for a second)and 2 of the wires in the harness that are melted but I have a roll of wire and the new module, the connector isn't totally burnt just melty looking on one end lol, My arm is just to big to get down through there. Yeah the webmaster gave me full access because there had been no post or new members in around 6 months lol I talked to myself for a few weeks then you joined lol at least someone is here that remembers me.  I paid after May 13th in 2013, that is the last post from before I sent off the money order 2-3 days later. So did a paypal account ever get setup for memberships? Ken

Clipper Joe

Hi Ken,
I Remember You. & Answered A Few Of Your Posts. ;)

I Join In 2013 & There Was Some Problems Then.

I Think You Will Have This All Worked Out Soon.Once Kathy Gets Info, She Is Great On Getting Things Back In Line With ACOC Data.
Also, Her Husband Mel Is Our Supply Officer.

We Are Having A Rally In 10/30-10/31-11/1 in San Andreas @ Gold Strike.
If You Are In Calif. PM Toedtoes & Can Send You Info.

Can You Refresh Me On Your Clippers Year & Make, a Friend Had A Dodge Shop & May Have Some Of The Small Parts You May Need. He Gave Me A Alt./Reg. & Voltage Unit For Early Dodges.
I Have Seen A Guy In Bend, Or That Parted Out 2ea. RV's He Is On EBay, I Bought Some Spare Parts like A Wiper Motor for Van Cab.
I Also Seen A Few Wiring Harness There Also NOS From Another Guy, Was Not Cheap $200.00

Hope That Helps,
Joe
1977 Dodge 440  Rear Kitchen
Note: Clipper Sold: (Miss It)
ACOC#3749
Now Own 2002 Class A Diesel Pusher

Toedtoes

No Paypal account yet. We are looking for new officers - the current ones have been volunteering for years and are starting to step down.

Right now, we need a Vice President/Wagonmaster. Their biggest duty is to organize the 3 national rallies per year.

Other positions will come open as we continue. Elections are held in May of each year.

Our newsletter person stepped down - I have taken over that duty in addition to the webmaster job.

kenmel

Mine is the 78 dodge w/440bb with the rear kitchen. LOL, I am in Arkansas so no roundup for me, I highly doubt I will ever see another Clipper owner out driving one besides the other one for sale in my hometown that has been sitting for 2 years and he wants 7,000 for. Still boggles my mind that 2 of these wound up in the same small town in Arkansas lol. I have found a few of the threads I posted in 2013 in the general discussion forum where you are moving them into new forums, but they are all as kenmel as guest, can you move them all to my new profile since the other is gone? I am always looking for the main wiring connector that is on top of the engine lol, the one I have works just looks funny. The Clipper still runs and drives great, it is just backfiring, that started when the 2 wires burned.        Clipper Joe, Yep you and toes were the first 2 to start talking back to me back then lol, How have you been? Hows the clipper?  What are you searching for on ebay to find this stuff, D300?? Toedtoes, I sent an email yesterday to Kathy, it was returned as undeliverable. any way you can get her the info I have posted here? Or have her PM me on here and I will give her all my personal info and as much info as I can find about the date the money order showed up as cashed 2-3 weeks later, most likely not much unless I can find a single receipt from 2 yrs ago lol I am more than willing to pay for a second years membership a year from now , once I get the first one I paid for and never got, in 13. I have offered to help with the forum in the past, so let me know if you need a hand. Ken