News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Leak repair on my 78 Clipper

Started by Rodney, August 31, 2011, 06:00:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rodney

It's been a long time since my last post, a lot has been going on to say the least!
I've been able to take some time and do some more restoration work on my 78 Clipper.
I discovered a leak in the upper bed area.
Shame on me for not taking better care of my home!
A few images will let you see what I've been taking care of.
Click here for images
I am very pleased with the upgrades and new curtains I've been making. It's been fun to continue freshening up the interior of the Coach.

JerryT

Hi Rodney
Looks good!! Thats not fun work at all. I did some work in my bunk so I feel for you. I chased a water leak up front in mine and found it to be the top seam in the front window frame where the aluminum frame is joined by rivets. The water/rain would drip in and fill up the bottom window channel then overflow and ruin the paneling. I caulked that 1" vertical seam on the outside and have been dry ever since.

JerryT

Rodney

Thanks Jerry.
yes chasing leaks can be a challenge but best to take care of them as soon as possible.

I made some more progress.. Glued fabric to the walls after removing the window frame and a little prep to the paneling.
One change I made was to relocate the drivers seat to the rear so I have more leg room. leg room was not good at best for me being 6'1''. After I had a knee replacement in Feb 2011 I discovered now I was real painful after only a few miles behind the wheel.
I cut a section out of the back of the dinette seat so the back of the driver seat now can go back 3-4 more inches. Ahh leg room ;)
image here
I took some of those water weenies things and sliced it so it will fit over the edge of the paneling. as I did on the other side I will glue fabric to the foam and glue it in place around and up the side of the interior as shown.

an image of the driver side wall

John Eversoll

Hi Rod, I envy you right now!!!

I have to do the same to mine and at the same time will replace the paneling all the way thru...

I myself did replace the seats with seats from a 2007 Dodge van or was it a 2005???

what ever..I have to rework the kitchen counter and while at it I am going to replace the water lines to Copper!!!!  That plastic pvc line should have never been used.
I am going to replace the refridge.. Since we only go to places with full hook ups I will install a small fridge I just bought from Home depot. But am using it to keep cokes cold right now.
I am going to improve the cabinets that sit around the fridge plus  install a over head flip down tv.

I reupholstered the cabin interior seats,bench and captains chairs.  Lot's of work ahead for me but I think it will be worth it.
I just hope it will be fairly easy to replace the paneling...."sigh"

The bathroom sink has to be replaced....So there is another problem!!  no body makes a small sink like that anymore... " Lucky me"  Take care, John

Rodney

I feel the restoration work we do on our clippers is worth the time and expense, they are a unique motor home with the full fiberglass coach.
I was wondering if  seats out of a new van would bolt in with out much problem? thanks.
The upholstery on my OEM seats are in good condition but they just aren't very comfy after driving for very long.
If you haven't already discovered this, they paneling {on my interior} is glued along with being stapled which makes it a real PITA to remove. I went over the top of the OEM paneling with inexpensive paneling  in the areas that needed replaced.
I first filled the voids where the paneling was gone with spray foam then quickly glued and stapled the pre cut and fit new panel to the wall.
After I discovered the paneling glued and found a real good deal on the fabric I decided to glue the fabric over the paneling. A little prep work was all I did before gluing the fabric in place.

The finished seat area
the finished wall
velcro sewn on the back side of the small curtain holds it in place

The bath room is next once I finish what I have going on right now.
Glue headliner material to the ceiling and the sink?!
that little sink is just about worthless IMO. and the kitchen sink is marginal. I'm thinking one larger more useful sink rather than 2. This needs some more thought but I am going to remove the sink and cabinet from the bathroom and go from there.
Instead of  copper pipe I'd go with a freeze proof type if and when I need to do some plumbing.

John Eversoll

I do so agree, the bathroom sink is worthless, I get more use out of my military canteen!!!

The toilet is another situation that will need to be looked at....

But what I have thought of is getting is sheets of door skins staining them and see how that turns out.

I don't really care for the Panneling that Home depot or Lows carry and I want something that Looks as if someone has really put some work into restoring the rig.

anyone can just make a jig rig out of the old girl but I want something that can be apreacheated by many.  You mentioned Spray foam??? what and where do you get it what type.....
Take care, John

Rodney

the door skin sheeting is exactly what I used when I restored the fridge area.
Click here to view some images of the oak door skin I used
a coat of varathane before the install works great,construction adhesive and stapled it to attach.
I also covered with the oak skin the closet bath door outside and the panel between them.
on the right side I used some solid pine boards since I needed some support for the fridge cabinet.

I removed the entire fridge cabinet area so I could replace the ceiling panel which was water damaged.
here is a shot of the area where to seats were mounted with the little table in between them

after I removed the seats I removed the top piece if plywood which covers the top of the generator and attached a piano hinge so I now have access to the top of the generator and a little storage to boot.

the spray foam I bought at Ace hardware but many types are available
http://greatstuff.dow.com/

John Eversoll

Hi Rod, I have a question....
Did you...  replace the ceiling......I have some rotton spots around the Escape hatch
and fear the everything will have to be replaced...Framing ect ect...
The electric fridge from Home Depot is no big deal, we never dry camp, the wife doesn't like it...:(
"She " likes full hook ups..Any way getting back to the main problems at hand...
All the panneling has to be replaced plus the rear kitchen cabnet...Up grades Upgrades ....
But they will have to start after the snow melts next year... I don't want to get something started then have to wait to finish.
Keep sending me those pics!!!!  John :)

Rodney

I replaced one panel of ceiling,   
the rear vent area The dry rot was minimal so I saved what I could and used a lot of construction adhesive when going back together.
I did have some water damage to the front hatch above the bed but instead of replacing the panel I glued the separated wood and covered with headliner material. image here  this was by far easier than replacing the panel and looks great IMO.
replacing the one piece of ceiling was a real PITA tro say the least but it did need replaced.
the water damage in the bathroom is going to get the foam headliner treatment for sure.
I got the rest of the fabric glued to the walls today
image here
I am just about done with this area next the bathroom..
I took the home for a short drive on Sunday to find I am in need the mechanical fuel pump. I was needing to turn on the electric pump to go up the smallest hill. I'm not surprised the pump is needing replaced I've been letting the home sit to long at a time without running it.

retrorob

Awsome job on the interior work!!! I have one question: Where did you find the orange cloth? That stuff looks original. It must have been a bear to locate. Shoot, I should pick up a bolt of it for my rig!
Rob.

Rodney

I finished all of the curtain holds and instead of snaps I used Velcro sewn to the straps. I used my serger and sewing machine to make the straps.
now for the upper cushion recover I cut out and replaced some of the damaged foam and covered the entire thing with batting and glued in place.
I am almost to a good stopping point for now and plan on taking a trip south to Silver lake for a short visit.

John Eversoll

HI Rod, I was just wondering...  What you replaced the upper matteress with..

Was it foam or a smaller matterss.

I went to Joannes and saw the foam I guess I could buy  the foam and make another mattress..

This one has neen leaked on from the water damage. John

Rodney

Hi John,
I didn't replace all of the foam I cut the damaged area out and glued some new foam in place the foam I used came from Fredric's a fabric store similar to Joann's. I let the foam set in the sun for a day or 2 and sprayed a can of Lysol all over the foam before covering with batting and the material. It would have been nice to replace all of the foam but I didn't have the $$ to do so, it did clean up nicely. The extra batting firmed up the feel of foam so hopefully if will feel alright. I was planning on taking her out for a test run and overnight stay but now scheduled or surgery on my shoulder on Thursday.

John Eversoll

Hi Rod, I am sure that You are fast asleep from surgery today.

I will make this breaf.  Take care.  John