News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

install flat screen tv

Started by WaveRIder, September 21, 2010, 11:37:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WaveRIder

just curious, what does it take to install a flat screen tv in my 21' rear kitchen  American Clipper?
anyone done this yet?

John Eversoll

I am with you on this one!!!!!  That is the next to the next thing I want to do

At least one that will flip up and down..  To get out of the way when not in use...

So many Upgrades to do.....  So many possabilities....

John

jon

Im doing one this winter I have even got permissin from the woman of the house!! The guy who had the clipper before me cut a hole in the side of the cabnet above the fridge to put a tv. The old little tv took a crap this spring and I cant find one small enough to fit in the hole.
So....This is what im thinking...Cover the hole with 1/2 in plywood and mount a 19 in flat screen tv to the plywood on a swivel mount found at walmart. The mounting bracket is $60. Thats going to put my total cost at around $300. the tv we looked at has a built in DVD player and cost around $200. We shopped around a few places and the tvs and brackets all run around the the same price. I figure we would have to have the swivel bracket so if your sitting at he table you can swing it around to see better.  
Puting the tv where I am planning to put it would solve two problems for us.
#1 I have a 12 x 12 hole in my cabnet that needs fixed anyway
#2 Having tv again keeps the kids occupied on rany days (you can only play uno so many times before you start pulling your hair out.)

Being that the other guy had the tv there in the first place the antenna wire is already there the vcr wire is already run there also I wouldent have to move all that stuff. Just cover the hole and mount it up. Sounds easy right?

I am sure open to any ideas anyone would have.

I have the 21 ft rear kitchen also.

I am planning to start this project in Febuary or march thats when income tax returns come out. I have a few other projects going on this winter also. Paint and Rear brakes some broken water lines ect.

John Eversoll

Thank god for income tax returns...LOL   Crap I am retired now so I wont get squat

Just go from check to check till I get things done....Lol...

I do think the T V is a great idea, I have the rear kitchen too.  "Party model"

Now that I am retired maybe Mom and I can start to Party!!!!!!!!!   YEaaaa   John

JerryT

Hi Jon
Mounting a TV is on my to do list also. I want to be able to use it from the cab over bunk as well as the couch/dining area. I am thinking of a swing arm mounted to the bulkhead that is over the cab passenger seat but have not found anything that lends itself to that task. Not a lot of options for a rear kitchen Clipper. Keep us posted on your progress.

JerryT

mccammonds

With just the two of us I found it is easier to just place the flat screen which is very thin on top of the satellite receiver on the back middle of the dinning table.  When we pull out we put the TV down on its face. We have been taking the TV and receiver from the bed room for our past trips but this year we will be out about six months so I may secure the TV and receiver to the table. This way we can see from the booth, the couch and the overhead bed.  Yes, the satellite dish is located on the roof.   It takes about five minutes to align it wherever we stop.
SOLD MY 1975     821F      360cc  ACOC #3645
FULL TIME IN A 21FT WAS NOT CONDUCIVE TO A HAPPY MARRIAGE.  NOW HAVE A 34 FT BOUNDER
U.S. ARMY RETIRED

Horst

Rear kitchen for me too.
I've posted this before - but here goes again.
What I did (and I like it!) was put a removable shelf in the dinette area, on the closet wall, under the over-head cabinets. And that's where my flat screen goes, as well as remotes, cell phones, keys, the book I'm reading, etc. I can swivel it around, but basically it's at angle where everyone sees it perfect - sort of facing the passenger's seat.

Yes, I did lose a "seat" - you can't sit against the window in the dinette in that spot when the shelf is up - the isle seat is still open however, as are both seats on the other side of the dinette
I have my passenger's seat flipped to face the rear of the coach.

With this set-up, 6 adults and three kids can comfortably watch TV - 2 adults on the dinette, three adults on couch, one adult on reversed passengers seat, three kids in the loft bed cozy and comfy!

Many people don't realize how ahead of his time Irv was with the Clipper floorplans. 90% of 1970s Class C floorplans for under 21 foot rigs were LAME! (such as - the wonderful "wet" toilet right behind the driver's seat, the famous "rear lounge" where everyone gets sea sick riding in the rig because there's only two spots to sit (driver and passenger) towards the front of the coach.)
Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.

JerryT

Hi Horst
Tell me more about flipping the passenger seat around! How do you do it? How about leg room?

JerryT

Horst

I don't have stock seats, or stock seat mounts - my whole set-up (seats) came out of a 90s Ford van - high back, tilt, swivel arm rests, very comfy.
Trade-off  - the seat arm rests meant that the door arm rests (inside) had to be removed - no big deal - I use a loop of rope to close the doors from the inside.

They are much bigger than the stock seats - so I can't actually "swivel" the chair around (dog house and the door get in the way) - I have to remove four bolts on the bottom of the chair where it attaches to the mount, and lift and turn the chair around (from outside the rig is the easiest, but I have done it from the inside as well) - takes me about 2-3 minutes from the outside, longer from the inside - lining up the chair studs to the mount holes is tricky from the inside, unless you have help.
Leg room isn't that great, especially for your left leg - but it's such a big chair, you can kind of curl up in it, or have your legs drape over the couch and have the wife rub your feet!
Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.

WaveRIder

Thanks to ya'll! I'm on my way out to my Clipper to finish re-mounting the ladder, finish the caulking around outside of windows,
refit new trim (black), wet sand wheels and paint...then  I am going to think this flat screen challenge through, from the inside
with a cool one in hand! Like the idea of the swivel seat...Like I don't have enough to think about!!

USNRetired

Hey guys, a couple three weeks ago, I bought a 19" flat screen TV with a built in DVD player at Walmart.  Also bought the wallmount with a flexible arm so I can change the position of the TV.  Mounted it in my 1977 Rear Kitchen Party Model Clipper on the wall shared by the closet on the driver's side just aft of the dinette.  What I did was mount, inside the closet out of sight, a 3/4" x 14" x 36" piece of pine lumber.  I screwed it in from the dinette side so that all that is showing are the screw heads and most of them are covered up by the back cushion of the aft dinette bench seat and the, now mounted, TV.  I positioned the mount so that when the TV is on it, it is just below the wall cabinets and can be moved so one adult can comfortably sit in that seat or two children.  It can be moved so that you can see it from the bed above the cab, from the two party seats and the forward bench seat.  I installed heavy duty hooks and use a 1" strap type bungee to secure the TV when underway.  Learned this trick aboard my last Destroyer, one of those DDG's built for the Shaw of Iran and we kept it when the Ayatolla pulled his stunt with the American Embassy a while back.  It was on of those with jet engines powering the ship and had adjustable twin screws which enabled it to go from full speed forward to full speed back with the flip of a switch without having to change the direction of the shaft.  Pretty exciting to see unsecured items fly around onboard when this happened during exercises.  We learned how to secure things like typewriters and other items which could go mobile during maneuvers.  What I am saying is the TV will ride out just about anything short of a roll over and it's not coming lose from the wall.  But the process was actually pretty simple and I was able to install the TV in less than an hour.
Jim & Marina in Beautiful Oceanside, California
ACOC #3714
1977 Rear Kitchen Party Model (821FC)

John Eversoll

HI Jim,  This sounds Great!!!!!   But in order for me to fully understand it I am going to have to check it out...

" Just another reason to meet you and your wife..

Give me a few more weeks and I wil  beable to get  "Mylow"  registard and the

breaks done...

Take care Jim,  John

kenmel

Quote from: USNRetired on September 29, 2010, 03:38:16 PM
Hey guys, a couple three weeks ago, I bought a 19" flat screen TV with a built in DVD player at Walmart.  Also bought the wallmount with a flexible arm so I can change the position of the TV.  Mounted it in my 1977 Rear Kitchen Party Model Clipper on the wall shared by the closet on the driver's side just aft of the dinette.  What I did was mount, inside the closet out of sight, a 3/4" x 14" x 36" piece of pine lumber.  I screwed it in from the dinette side so that all that is showing are the screw heads and most of them are covered up by the back cushion of the aft dinette bench seat and the, now mounted, TV.  I positioned the mount so that when the TV is on it, it is just below the wall cabinets and can be moved so one adult can comfortably sit in that seat or two children.  It can be moved so that you can see it from the bed above the cab, from the two party seats and the forward bench seat.  I installed heavy duty hooks and use a 1" strap type bungee to secure the TV when underway.  Learned this trick aboard my last Destroyer, one of those DDG's built for the Shaw of Iran and we kept it when the Ayatolla pulled his stunt with the American Embassy a while back.  It was on of those with jet engines powering the ship and had adjustable twin screws which enabled it to go from full speed forward to full speed back with the flip of a switch without having to change the direction of the shaft.  Pretty exciting to see unsecured items fly around onboard when this happened during exercises.  We learned how to secure things like typewriters and other items which could go mobile during maneuvers.  What I am saying is the TV will ride out just about anything short of a roll over and it's not coming lose from the wall.  But the process was actually pretty simple and I was able to install the TV in less than an hour.
I know this is an old thread but its worth a shot, If you have pics of this mod I would love to see them as I am about to do the same thing.

LARRY RAY

There is an old post somewhere of mine that shows what I did. It is called clipper divider. A fold down table mounted onto a door between the cab and cabin. That's where I place the sat receiver and TV.  Works great and it's unused space too.
ACOC# 3514
1978--821F-- ser#48851 440 Dodge  Built on a Dream--Still a Dream.  Let's all keep it that way.

LARRY RAY

ACOC# 3514
1978--821F-- ser#48851 440 Dodge  Built on a Dream--Still a Dream.  Let's all keep it that way.