News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

I did it!!

Started by JerryT, September 20, 2009, 06:18:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JerryT

John
I have not found a CC rebuilder, if you got a lead I want it! I have put 2 used ones on with no luck.
JerryT

John Eversoll

Hi Jerry, I will get you those leeeeeeds

One is in Orange Calif. and I beleive the other one is in Los Angeles Ca.

Get back with ya tomorrow!!!!!!! :)John

JerryT

Hey John
Check on that cruise control rebuilder for me.
JerryT

mccammonds

Yes,  please check out the folks that might fix these Cruise Controls.
Wondering if the 360 and the 440 were the same???????????????????
SOLD MY 1975     821F      360cc  ACOC #3645
FULL TIME IN A 21FT WAS NOT CONDUCIVE TO A HAPPY MARRIAGE.  NOW HAVE A 34 FT BOUNDER
U.S. ARMY RETIRED

dboling

Quote from: mccammonds on November 01, 2009, 07:29:30 AM
Yes,  please check out the folks that might fix these Cruise Controls.
Wondering if the 360 and the 440 were the same???????????????????

They should be as the 360, 383, 440 Big Blocks were pretty much same engine block.

You might also look into and aftermarket Cruise Control Kit, I used to install them in the 80s and they worked pretty well. The only thing I didn't like about them is you placed magnets on the driveline and a sensor would read how fast the magnets would pass by.

In my experience cruise controls rarely go bad, the problem would usually be a fuse, broken wire or bad connection to the cruise unit, bad/broken speedo cable, bad cruise cut off switch at the brake pedal,  no vacuum to cruise unit, bad cruise switch.

Using a test light, with key turned on, the cruise unit should not have any power to it until you turn the cruise switch to on and only 1 lead should be hot if more than 1 wire is hot check your brake switch and cruise switch, if you have power to 1 lead then hit the set button while checking the another wires, the test should light while holding the set button, check the last wire with test light while pressing the brake pedal and the light should light. If all these tests pass, check your vacuum source to cruise unit. if all tests pass the cruise unit is probably bad.

Note: most older cruise units would not operate at speed below 25 mph.

John Eversoll

dboling, You are Right my good man, the 440 383 1ne the 360 are the same block!!!

hen what is the difference You ask.... Well, it is the "CRANK"  the crank is the

difference........if you have a 360 and want a 440 get a 440 crank! Waaa La.

And as far as having a cruse control ?? I don't know...I like to be in control of things.  But at "25"mph?????????
Yes check out the connections to you unit and I will still check  out the business
here on the west side of the world and see what they want to rebuild the cruse control :) :)John

dboling

Quote from: John Eversoll on November 01, 2009, 12:29:31 PM
dboling, You are Right my good man, the 440 383 1ne the 360 are the same block!!!

hen what is the difference You ask.... Well, it is the "CRANK"  the crank is the

difference........if you have a 360 and want a 440 get a 440 crank! Waaa La.

And as far as having a cruse control ?? I don't know...I like to be in control of things.  But at "25"mph?????????
Yes check out the connections to you unit and I will still check  out the business
here on the west side of the world and see what they want to rebuild the cruse control :) :)John

Sorry John, check my profile, not a good man.

I checked my cruise control connections when I rewired under the hood and engine compartment. All power was as it should be :)
I don't know if my cruise works or not as I've only driven the clipper 35 miles to the property and was to scared of being pulled over with 2006 license tags and a 2006 inspection sticker to think about trying the cruise control. I only passed 2 state police cars. lucky we don't have front license plates and the police only viewed the clipper from the front.

Yes, the only difference between the engines are the bore and stroke.

tomfridley

Just a little clarification-- the 383 and 440 are big block engines. the 360 is a small block.
the crank from a 440 will not fit in a 360.
now for the good news, the cruise control is the same for any engine in a dodge van for model years between 1973 to 1977 and maybe even 1978.
I agree there are several reasons the cruise control may not work. the speedometer cable is a very common problem, but if your speedometer is working, look for another problem.
there is a lower speedo cable from the transmission to the cruise control unit [located at the back of the engine] and an upper cable from the cruise control unit to the speedometer.
if these cables are in good working order the speedometer will function, and the cruise should too unless there is an electrical problem in the circuit.
The cruise control switch on the turn signal lever can also be at fault. check for electrical continuity from the switch to the cruise control unit.

dboling

Quote from: tomfridley on November 01, 2009, 03:23:37 PM
Just a little clarification-- the 383 and 440 are big block engines. the 360 is a small block.
the crank from a 440 will not fit in a 360.
now for the good news, the cruise control is the same for any engine in a dodge van for model years between 1973 to 1977 and maybe even 1978.
I agree there are several reasons the cruise control may not work. the speedometer cable is a very common problem, but if your speedometer is working, look for another problem.
there is a lower speedo cable from the transmission to the cruise control unit [located at the back of the engine] and an upper cable from the cruise control unit to the speedometer.
if these cables are in good working order the speedometer will function, and the cruise should too unless there is an electrical problem in the circuit.
The cruise control switch on the turn signal lever can also be at fault. check for electrical continuity from the switch to the cruise control unit.

Yep, your right, 360 is a small block, I was thinking of the 361.

John Eversoll

Derrrrrrrrrrrr, Dumbyyyyyy  me..  Brain Fart!!!! :)John

Hank Jourdin

HEY JOHN EVERSOLL, I THINK I READ IN ONE OF YOUR POSTS THAT YOUR NEW REBUILT MOTOR IS GOING TO BE 11-1 COMPRESSION. I HOPE YOU LIKE BUYING HIGH OCTANE FUEL BECAUSE IT WON'T RUN VERY WELL ON REGULAR. WHEN YOU PUT IT UNDER A LOAD IT WILL DETENATE OR PING REAL BAD, AND THAT TENDS TO BE HARD ON PISTONS BUY EATING HOLES IN THEM. ALSO WILL BLOW FREEZE PLUGS OUT ON HOT DAYS. THEN YOU GET CRACKED HEADS OR WORSE MAYBE A BLOCK.I WOULD BACK IT DOWN TO SAY 8-1 IT WILL STILL HAVE LOTS OF POWER AND YOU CAN RUN REGULAR GAS.IT WILL SAVE YOU A LOT OF COINS IN THE LONG RUN AND STILL RUN WELL EVEN IF YOU HAVE TO RETARD THE SPARK ADVANCE A LITTLE BIT. THINK TWICE AND DO 1 REBUILD THAT WORKS    TAKE CARE OF YOUR BACK I BEEN THERE  I KNOW WHAT FEELS LIKE  HANK JOURDIN

John Eversoll

Hi Hank, watch the caps... makes it hard to read for us old folks... ha ha ha ...
I had the motor built already, and the guy that rebuilt it is great!! he used sodium filled valves so I can run Regular gas, Jim has been in business for 37years and has done everything from big Rvs to Dragsters.  Real nice guy to talk to as well.
He knows it was going to go in my Clipper and the cam he put in will keep it running smooth.  He built the motor for my 1971 Chevelle SS and it purrrrrs like a kitten Until ya step on the pedal.I put the regular gas in her and no problem He put the sodium filled valves in the motor and shaved the heads too. I am going to go for a bigger radiator as well.
getting away from the fan and installing an electric fan unit.  I have had three fan belts break on me which happened to be in the desert coming back from Vegas.

Tonight the back is just killing me!!! I haven't taken the pain meds as to I don't want to get used to taking them.  It just bothers my boy dog, he wants to climb
up in bed with daddy as he has done since he was 8 wks old. Now he is 125 lbs
and six years old.  Take care Hank, rap at ya later!!!  Later gater  :)John