News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

Leaking Ceiling vent

Started by clockwork, April 16, 2009, 07:06:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

clockwork

I noticed my Clip developed a leak around the over cab vent. The PO had made several repairs and upgrades prior to my purchase including replacing this vent. This is the fifth repair or 'upgrade' the PO paid a local repair facility to complete that I have had to  go back and make right. The other three are an improperly wired generator, poorly installed new refrigerator, improperly installed and grounded new  converter and poorly installed new awning. My point being this poor guy was literally charged thousands of dollars for inferior workmanship that he never bothered to inspect. Here are a few pics of the improperly sized and installed roof vent and the fun I had tearing out the ceiling to repair. Always inspect what you expect!
Dave

This image may help other Clip owners see how their ceiling is framed:

The silver blobs are the vent frame screws that missed the frame by over an inch on either side:

Now would be the time to seriously consider poaching JerryT's uber-cool AWACs array mod!

JerryT

Nice pics dave!
Go for it!!! The dome was an easy install, it was more work putting the interior in it because it was upside down work. You are right now four skill saw cuts away from bedroom bliss ;D Rox says it's the best upgrade so far. I was so happy to get rid of the escape hatch as it was a economy unit at best. I had to keep a foam plug in it so the wind would not tear it apart. My coach was the same way, anything that the P O hired done was marginal at best. My view is that Irv built a quality coach using quality materials (for that time era) and I have tried to copy the quality in my repairs and improvements, I have never been sad buying the best parts as the extra cost has always paid me back in the long run. 
If you decide to do it I will help anyway I can. 2 tubes of sticky and 2 dozen screws =AWAC
JerryT

clockwork

Mornin' Jerry;
    I spent the dryer parts of the w/e cutting and fitting preprimed t&g 7" wide ceiling material so I guess I am past the prime for an awac's mod! For what it's worth the local Home Depot has this mdf material in 1/4" thickness that fits nicely into the original edge channel around the Cllip's ceiling. Question: what is behind the upholstered lower portion of the over cab directly under the front most window? I removed the side panels but the front looks as if it is more substantial and may actually serve a purpose other than adding  weight. I also noticed my pics disappeared so I'll have to check my Picasa account.
My next project will be to repaint the van cab via rattle can- Your paint job looks beautiful and my Clip has been begging for a makeover since she saw your pics,  but I'm not up to your level on the whole project. I won't miss the faded brown and orange stripes on the cab a bit.

dave

Am I the only active Clip owner west of the Rockies?   

JerryT

Dave
Regarding your pics, I get a blank white square with a ? in the middle, so I control/click and ask it to open in a new window (I am on a Mac/Apple) and poof the pics show up nice and big, I click off the new window and poof, the pics are now in the thread, kinda like magic! Thanks for the MDF tip as I need to repair my ceiling vent leak damage in the kitchen/bath area. I have saved it for last because I am dreading tearing into it so please post more pics as you progress. Up to now I have considered the glue staples and bondo route with a painted finish but I will be checking out the MDF tomorrow, might just be the trick I need. That front panel has 2X2's and fiberglass insulation behind it just like in your roof. It has two short vertical ones in the corners and a long one under the window, that 2x2 is used to accept the screws that hold the top to the front casting. The screws are behind that black strip in the aluminum channel that runs all around the top on the outside of our rigs. My panel was held in place with four screws, one in each corner, I recovered mine and it just sets in place now. It makes for a good hiding place behind it for thin items like paperwork and checkbooks ect. No AWAC's eh! how about a large smoke tinted roof skylight? You could lay in bed and watch the stars and moon :D
JerryT

clockwork

Hey Jerry;
         Some of the pics have been restored- I can see them in IE but the latest FF beta is quirky. Here are a couple of the bead board installed in the Clip's original ceiling channel :

I plan to use 2" pre primed  moulding butted to the 2 ceiling lights as to cover both the mounting screws and the original transition strip.

The thing I really like about the material is that the t&g construction allows me to remove the ceiling w/o demolition- not that I expect my leak repairs to ever fail! My rear shower ceiling is next. It's in the $18. range for 14 sf. Thanks for the info on the front panel.

A huge bunk skylight would be awesome and would have my nephews fighting even more intensely over who gets the over cab bed- I will keep that in mind!

Good luck on your k/b repair. I sense an opportunity for another unique JerryT mod.

dave   

JerryT

Dave
Once again great pics, if I click on the pic after I open it in a new window it fills the whole screen!
That T&G is a great user friendly repair and has a good look too! I am glad your doing yours first, for a guy that is willing to cut his roof open, cut and re-shape the fuel tank, flip and rebuild the back door, I don't know why I can't get any steam on the ceiling repair ??? It will be last thing before the new carpeting. I am now thinking of begging a buddy to get involved, the one that helped me paint it. I think if I can share the agony and blame it will lull me into action :-\ Are you going to remove the old bath ceiling also? If so please take pics for me ;D
JerryT

clockwork

Evenin' Jerry;
    Not sure what's going on w/my pics but I won't mess with them if they are viewable. I have a rear bath unit and the leaks were only over the shower ( once again someone screwed into the Clip's roof w/o any thought of leaks) so I only removed that portion:

Here's a pic of the ceiling up- but some trim work is still needed.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_9hhYfiMD7pw/Se-9Mc3gRqI/AAAAAAAAAT0/AJfwwP7LVpQ/IMG_0019.JPG

It was such a beautiful day today I took the opportunity to pressure wash the roof and re seal all the protrusions in hopes of keeping her weather tight for another year or so. She looks so good I might have to try to bring the gloss back to her glass!

We all have different comfort levels with repairs to our Clip. Personally, I would trade my skill set with yours any time. You can keep her running, which is the first and foremost objective of a motor home!

Let me know if you want more pics,

dave 

Hank Jourdin

I would like to see the pictures, but all I see is a square that  is blank

clockwork

I *hope* that I have configured Picassa to allow the reuse of these images correctly now.

dave

JerryT

Dave
I love your T&G!!!  I can now envision a Clipper done in that. I think I am a T&G guy at heart. I love those old 30's-60's campers done in birch/knotty pine T&G. You can post your pics directly to our site if that would help. Your shower is different than mine, my vent goes out thru the closet and I have more squarish corners, also do you have the aluminum divider bar in the ceiling of your shower?  I think we are all born with a different skill set and I thank the lord every time I go to a doctor, listen to music or view fine art for that. I like to share what I am doing on my Clipper and encourage people to -raise the bar- as they work on theirs, but I do know that it is a money/time/talent thing. To replace my Clipper with a brand new like kind rig I would have to spend $80.000.00 to $100.000.00 + so I treat it that way, and I am very happy to own mine for 10-15 cents on the dollar. That being said, I have had more fun and memories in my old $300.00 beater cars over the years then I did in my new/nice ones ;)
JerryT

clockwork

http://picasaweb.google.com/amantiado/AmericanClipper#

This is the link to all the pics until I can work out my picassa issues.
dave

clockwork

If you like knotty pine t&g ( and I do), Home Depot usually carries similar material to what I used in a slightly thicker KP version. Another thought that crossed my mind was to use floating wood or laminate flooring for the ceiling.  My Clip is a side kitchen/rear bath and has no divider bar- only the shower curtain track. I'm 100% with you on the fix it up vs replace it mentality. I think we as a society have lost something over the past decades as we became much more of a disposable nation. I was part of this mind set and can't express how much gratification I am rediscovering from working on the Clip. It takes me back to my teens, when my 1st beater was a $900 1970 VW van that I spent countless hours 'personalizing'. We are lucky that we have a vehicle that can still reward us when we  spend the time and effort to give her a little needed attention. Many thanks to you, and others like you, who take the time to share their knowledge and experience without thought of reward to themselves.

We brushed the 80's here today, so my rattle can cab makeover is calling.

dave               

JerryT

Dave
I have a side bath so thats why your rear bath looks different :D I did some work on my kitchen drawers last week (I need to post the pics) so I am about to tackle my ceiling project. I have a big sway back duck pond around my A/C unit so I am thinking about arching the ceiling/roof under it. How is your ceiling project coming?
JerryT

clockwork

http://picasaweb.google.com/amantiado/ClipCeiling#

Hi Jerry;
     I did finish the bath ceiling ( pics above). I really like the t&g paneling. I think arching the roof of the Clip would be a great idea- I have pooling near the a/c so I park slightly off level to keep water away from the a/c. I'm currently replacing the rear clearance lights and I used Rust Reformer ( a great product) to transform the rusty battery tray and rear bumper.
dave 

JerryT

I do like that T&G, your repair looks real good! My battery tray was so ate up I got a new style plastic one off a 199? dodge van. I set it in place on top of the old one and clamped the battery back in. Went to do a better install but that old one looked like no fun to get out so I just left it alone, so far so good ::) As for my roof A/C duck pond repair I was thinking about taking my Skill saw and cutting most if not all the way thru the 2X2 roof joist's under the unit in 2-4 places each, bowing the roof up from inside and then epoxying in some wedges to fill the gap from the cut and lift. I could then take my 3M 5200 caulk and seal the saw cuts in the fiberglass roof. Also on mine there is no support just behind the A/C hole where the bulk of the compressor weight sits so I am philosophizing on what to do about that if anything. OR I could double up the A/C gaskets to get the unit above the waterline and not worry about it and continue to park off level. If the weather stays good tomorrow I just might make some dust ;D
JerryT