News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

Adding front seat armrests

Started by JerryT, March 12, 2009, 09:38:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JerryT

Hi all
I put stock/factory armrests on our 78 dodge. I thought it was a easy/quick upgrade, in fact if I knew then what I know now, it would have been done a lot sooner!
The donor Dodge was a mid 80's Ramcharger truck, the seat frames are built the same way, tube steel.
I cut the old armrest off thru the tube frame then cut away the back 45 percent so I could snap them over my tube frame. I then welded the new brackets on but you could bolt/screw/pop rivet them on also. I had the rest part re-covered to match my seats. I decided to mount the new armrest at the same elevation as the door armrest but you could pick what was most comfortable for you. You do have to remove the old hog rings holding on the seat cover and re-hog ring them back on when your done. I took off my bottoms also to add some extra foam padding. Here are some pics, feel free to ask any questions.
JerryT

JerryT

Some more pics

JerryT

And the finished product.

JerryT

I also have some extra brown material if someone else wants to try this, it's just a hair light in color but was a good match for my 78.
JerryT

John Eversoll

Hi JerryT, Just got through reading your post and thought to myself why can't I do this.

I have a welder "I used to weld prfessionaly"  and I have my very own upholstery sewing maching.

I reupholstered my old Plymouth and  my 34 Dodge and the coach couch and captain chairs "

So I should be able to do this.  Thanks for the share!!!!
John E.

Horst

I don't know - that seem like a heck of a lot of work.
The guy I bought my Clipper from simply installed new captains seats from a Custom Ford van.
Easy mounting, high back, with arm rests that swivel up and down, chaird recline - plush, comfy.
He got the seats at a wrecking yard - cheap - and they were practically new - early 90s Ford Van. I love my seats - I HATE the stock Clipper seats - really uncomfortable for a long drive (for me at least.) (Yes - I have driven several other Clippers - brother-in-law's unit, and three friends  - but they all sold theirs - I'm the last hold-out - I was the first to buy one too I might add...........
Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.

John Eversoll

yea, you may be right.  Just get the high back seats from a wrecking yard

I can still reupholster them.    Thanks