News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

rear air bag replacement's

Started by milliraye, September 12, 2005, 10:21:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

milliraye

I have a "76" rear kitchen 21'
Am looking into replacing
Master Cylinder
power vacumn booster
       and
rear air bags.
Air bags are there and deflated (may be popped)
What part #'s am I searching for?
Where is my best bet to find them?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

bigray

My air bags appeared to be pooped but it turn out to be the fill lines. Over the years the exhaust rubbed and melted the lines. I replaced the lines and they are as good as new. You may want to make sure your lines are bad.

I did have a hard time fining the replacement line. My airbags are Firestone or Goodyear ( I can't remember which) but given their age the manufacuturer couldn't seem to help me. I found the lines at a RV supply store.  

Good Luck!

milliraye

That'sthe first place I will start.

Rodney

The best price I found for the master cylinder and booster was our local NAPA store and they supply quallity parts IMO. They maybe able to help you out with the air bags as well. the leaks in my system were the lines as well and was an easy fix, NAPA had the hose and fittings to fix this to.
Rodney :)

milliraye

I will definitly check out a napa store, I am on the coast and there isn't much out here, but will check out Napa online.
Thank you,  :lol:
MeLissa

Rodney

I was in our Les Schwab store this afternoon and there was a set of air bags and hoses on display and looked just like what I have under my Cipper if you have a Les Schwab close by you might give them a look.
Rodney

milliraye

:o Might just have to make a special trip to the BIG CITY!
We do actually have (1) auto parts store close by,
They charge 4X's any place else.
When I have gone in there,
I swear they raise the price when they hear (older RV)
LOL
Feels like I've walked into a scene from deliverence too! SCARY!
With gas prices as high as they are right now, probably having the items shipped would be just as economical.
8) in the wind.........
MeLissa

terry and karen conkle

I wish I could see where those air bags are on your chevy ray. I have the air lines but no sign of where the bags might have been.

bigray

Mine are mounted between the rear-end axle and the frame. I could take some photos this weekend!

The upper brackets was not strong enough when it was originally install. The weight of the rig caused them to bend upward. This resulted in sag in my rear end. I had a fabrication shop reinforce the bracket and it's as strong as ever now!

Andy Illes

Yeah..... we've noticed that sag in "your" rear end, "Big"Ray...  :lol:

Odd thing.... mine doesn't have air bags, mount brackets, or air lines either.  Mustta been an option, huh?

Robert P. Anderson

Before you condem your booster - check the check valve on the vacumn line that goes into the booster. I was ready to replace my booster last year when soneone told me to check the connection at the booster. The ckeck valve was a 2-3 $ Item. :D

dreedy650

If you dont have your concern repaired yet, the prior owner of my coach stated the air bags were shot, i aired them up and found the valve core leaking, replaced the core and wala. all ok  good luck  Don

milliraye

Still have the saggy bottom,  One air bag fills while the other doesn't.
I took "Billy Bob" to Les Shawb for new tires and was told new air bags would cost me almost $800.
Having just replaced the starter, starter relay, fuel pump, alternator, exhaust manifold gaskets (this was rough after 2 of the bolts were broken off)
and the entire exhaust system from the manifold to the muffler.
Air bags will have to wait.
I then drove from WA. State to Las Vegas without incident
until this....
Now something is draining my battery (completely) within 12 hours of turning off the engine.
Anyone have any ideas on this?

John Eversoll

Hi there, I had the same problem when we hit Nabraska back in 1997/

Turned out to be a bad  starter selonoid... I carry a spare starter anyway

Look for a bad ground, try taking off one side of the batt cable over night till you can find your problem.  That way you don't get stuck some place you don't want to be.  John

milliraye

Thank you John,
I will certainly be taking the battery cable off from now on.
It may take some time to find a good repair shop with a mechanic I can trust here in Las Vegas.