News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Old Tires - Is it True?

Started by Toedtoes, October 10, 2015, 09:17:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toedtoes

Today, I went out to meet a friend.  As we were standing in the parking lot, she said "what's wrong with your tire?"   The tread had peeled off the tire!!  Straight to the tire shop I went.

Now, I have read about old tires being dangerous on an RV and have been watching my tires on the clipper very carefully - they are only about 3 years old, so are still good.

What I didn't think about is that for the past 7 years, I have seriously reduced my drive time with my Durango.  Taking the bus to work for 5 years, and now driving a mere 12 miles per day for work.  For the past 3 years, I've used the clipper to go long distance.  So, my Durango has been getting much less than 6,000 miles per year.  I bought the Durango in 2005 (it's a 2002) and thinking back, don't believe I have ever changed the tires out.  So, that puts the tires at least at 10 years old.  The tire shop guy said those tires haven't been produced in about 7 years.  I had planned on buying new tires after the new year - the tread was getting down there - but this damage was completely due to the age of the tires.

So, yes, old tires ARE DANGEROUS!!!!  No matter how good the tread is on them.
'75 American Clipper Dodge 360 821F; ACOC #3754

kenmel

When buying tires, always look at the date code on the sidewall, it will tell you how old the "new" tires the tire shop is selling you.   I won't buy tires that are over a year from manufacture date from a dealer for any vehicle, Glad nothing happened but losing the tread. Ken
Ken and Melissa, 1978 821 FIT, rear kitchen. ACOC #3805

Toedtoes

In this case, it wasn't that the tires were old when bought - it was simply that they spent a lot of time sitting in the driveway while I commuted to work and drove the clipper on weekends. Just not putting enough use on them so the tread doesn't wear out first.

I was so worried about that happening to the clipper tires, I didn't even connect that the Durango tires were just as susceptible.
'75 American Clipper Dodge 360 821F; ACOC #3754