News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

Generator Cab Redesign and Repair

Started by bigideaman, June 14, 2003, 06:19:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigideaman

Hi Adrain.

I am a new RV'er and saw the same problem. this is what I just completed today...

I removed my generator, removed the spare tire and broke out the saw saw. After a few cuts and a couple whacks with the hammer, the whole thing fell completely out. It is just framed lightly with a plywood generator box mounted on a plywood floor and after years of generator oil and gas leaks the wood is rotten.

I then fabricated (2) 1.5" steel tubes with 1/4" steel plates on each end with four mounting holes. (tubes go the RV length direction). When you install them do forget that out of the bottom of the generator there is an exhaust systems and some sheet metal ducting that you have to make room for. I then through bolted them into the side wall which was heavier wood framing. I then proceeded to both (4) 2" x 4" the depth way and (1) trimmed 2" x 4" across the two steel beams. I trimmed the far right to leave room for the generator exhaust duct. I then installed one custom cut piece of 1/8" aluminum as the floor and deck screwed it down through the 2" x 4"s. Don't forget to counter sink your holes in the aluminum as you want a smooth surface. I then welded in place a 26" x 20" x 16" x 1/8" aluminum generator box in the new cabinet as  code demands a box within a box. I added some sound installation using silicone and Double back tape and reinstalled my generator. I now have a box that will probably out line the RV. If you need more info you can email me directly at dave@bigideas.net