News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

Clicking sound, from inverter area, when cabin battery connected

Started by Dennybear144, March 12, 2022, 12:45:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennybear144

Hello.  My clipper has been sitting five years.   It runs.  Only problem is the rats got in.  Now when I install a fresh cabin battery.  There is a constant clicking sound, near the invertor, transformer box.   Must be a short somewhere I don't know where to begin. 

Toedtoes

Do you mean the CONVERTER?

The clippers were not installed with inverters, so if you have one, it was added aftermarket.

The CONverter takes 120v electrical from a generator or shore power and converts it to 12v to power the lights, water pump, etc and charge the battery.

An INverter takes 12v electricity from the battery and inverts it to 120v to run household plug-in appliances.

Next question, do you have the battery hooked up correctly?  Make sure the positive wire from the converter is to the positive post of the battery, etc.  Those old wires aren't always color coded properly.

Does the clicking happen only when you are plugged into shore power?  If so, it's most likely a problem with the converter.  Use a multimeter to check the power going into the converter, out of the converter and into the battery.  You will most likely see a discrepancy there.

If the clicking is happening when you're not plugged in to shore power, and the battery is hooked up correctly, then check the circuit breakers and fuses.  If all are good, use the multimeter to check the power going in to each and out of each.

If power is going in and out of the breakers and fuses fine, then you will want to start checking the lines going from the fuses to the various items (lights, water pump, A/C, etc.  The lights should run one to the next, so check each one at the in line and out line.
'75 American Clipper Dodge 360 821F; ACOC #3754

Dennybear144

Ok.  I have done what you said.  Battery is hooked up right.  No power to the pump but I have power to the lights.  No power to the display either.  It use to light up.  The clicking sound must be part of this. 

Toedtoes

Check the fuses.  If the fuses are OK, then check the line out of the fuses and the lines in for the pump and display.
'75 American Clipper Dodge 360 821F; ACOC #3754