News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

How to repair generator door?

Started by pdxpfeifer, August 08, 2017, 06:45:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pdxpfeifer

Hi everyone
Looking for advice of repairing the hinges on the generator door. We had it open resting marshmallow sticks on it and my father decided to walk without his cane and fell onto the door   ::)

He's fine, but he ripped every rivet out of the door where it connects with the piano hinge. So there are tiny holes in the fiberglass and it's only hanging on by the chains. I wound up duck taping it for safety on the drive home from camping. We are headed to Canada in 9 days so I really want to get the generator door fixed.

Thanks in advance
Robyn
1977 440 rear kitchen #3799

Toedtoes

I think you will probably have to install new hinges and place them in a slightly different location.  You'll want to seal the old holes - check out your local boat shop for fiberglass repair kits.  Not sure you can get it all done in time for your trip, but you should be able to get the new hinges installed at least.
'75 American Clipper Dodge 360 821F; ACOC #3754

Clipper Joe

Hi Robyn,
Toedtoes Is On The Mark, To Keep Water Out & Repair
Right.

But For My 2 Cents, ;)
First Off Sorry About Your Accident, S Happens. :-[
You Can Move & Redrill Holes Over 3/8"- 1/2" Re-Install New Pop Rivets.
Make Sure Door Is In Proper Position, Also Add Same Size & Amount Of Riviers. ;D
This Can Be Done Easy, As Long as Wood Not Rotten Behind Fiberglass.

Joe
1977 Dodge 440  Rear Kitchen
Note: Clipper Sold: (Miss It)
ACOC#3749
Now Own 2002 Class A Diesel Pusher

Clipper Joe

Forgot To Tell You Have A Safe Trip To Canada :D
Take Some Nice Photos With Clipper...

Joe
1977 Dodge 440  Rear Kitchen
Note: Clipper Sold: (Miss It)
ACOC#3749